• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified serpentine belt routing

Bring this thread back...

I did it in a pinch to my 89 XJ. But, it didn't work so well. The belt as listed is just slightly too long so I was not able to put the correct amount of tension on it (it was close enough as I had to drive it) and there is an interference issue with one of the bolts...

So, was this ment to work on the HO or what?

I fyou were owrried about tension/surface contact with the crank and alt pully why not use ribbed belt system? Prolly have to fab it but it would work

ATC

To get rid of the A/C compressor and move the alternator up, use a junkyard 4cyl commanche alt bracket/idler with slight modifications. Then measure the belt length and go to the parts store and get it. Easy and cheap to do.

My set-up has the clutch fan eliminated also.
DSC01556Small.jpg

Slo-Sho said:
What kind of cooling fans are those if I might ask?
Derale dual fans (4000cfm total). Total pain in the ass to get them to fit and you will have to trim the platic fan shroud. They pull a lot of amps at start-up but cool it down quickly no matter what the outside temp is. Not sure if I would recommend them based on the headaches I encountered trimming and fitting them.

I forgot to mention that my rig is 1990 renix, so not sure if the alternator mount holes are differnt for later years.

MachineMan said:
To get rid of the A/C compressor and move the alternator up, use a junkyard 4cyl commanche alt bracket/idler with slight modifications. Then measure the belt length and go to the parts store and get it. Easy and cheap to do.

My set-up has the clutch fan eliminated also.
DSC01556Small.jpg
Is there a writeup anywhere for this? Would you happen to know a parts number for the belt as well?

Back