• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfiring, where to buy injectors?

But anyways, I hooked up everything like this:

JP3 begin
JP4 A
JP5 +

+ wired to postive battery terminal
- wired to negative battery terminal
tgr wired to dark green/WT wire
N/O to negative port on timer
Com wired to dark blue with pink tracer

Did i do something wrong?
  1. When you get your timer, set the jumpers like this: R3 - about half way around will give you 30 seconds
    jp1 - SEC
    jp2 - 1-shot
    jp3 - begin
    jp4 - A
    jp5 - +
    jp6 (if you have it) - 12v duh
  2. Setup the connections like this: + - Batt const
    - - ground
    tgr - I tapped into the lighter fuse right at the fuse block
    n/o - one side of your fan mod switch (the other side of your switch should
    be to the 'fan mod' wire)
    com - ground
I copied in what you posted on response #112. You're not hooked up that way. The db/pk should be hooked up to the N/O and the com to a ground.

Set it up exactly the way that the guy did who you copied from before on that post.

I have to go pull this up on my 2 monitor computer. I see that I was wrong about the TGR. That is to start the relay timer. On post #75, you posted where someone had wired one up with detail instructions. Did you hook your up the same way? I'm gonna go multicomputer now, but I'll be right back. Hang on.

Post #75 is joe peters talking about heat soak.

1. When you get your timer, set the jumpers like this: R3 - about half way around will give you 30 seconds
    jp1 - SEC
    jp2 - 1-shot
    jp3 - begin
    jp4 - A
    jp5 - +
    - - ground
    com - ground
I copied in what you posted on response #112. You're not hooked up that way. The db/pk should be hooked up to the N/O and the com to a ground.

Set it up exactly the way that the guy did who you copied from before on that post.

I didnt use this example cuz they have a fan mod and I don't. I'm not sure what to hook up since I don't have the fan mod.

This was what I was told to do here and I followed it but it didn't work:

PDC = Power Distribution Center. Its the black box reward of the battery on the passenger side. On the underside of the lid it will be labeled which relay is which.

If this was mine this is what I would do. With the ELM.

I'm going off their instructions and the picture on site. The instructions you received in email plain suck. All the wires you need are right near the PDC, so its easy access and you can put the Elm there or run it back into the cab for better protection. It does need to be protected from teh elements, so perhaps seal teh ELM up in a project box or something. Bold is the stuff on the board.

JP3: Begin
JP4: A
JP5: -

+ : to some positive source.. like the battery or the positive terminal on the PDC (very front of the box, its covered).

- : ground it to a bolt or something, just needs a negative input.

TGR: something that turns on when the engine is running. Such as the fuel pump relay control. That would be a Brown wire in the harness that goes to the PDC. It will also be a negative wire. That comes from the PCM. If you don't want to use that wire you can use the Dark green with a white tracer (DG/WT), also in the PDC wiring harness. This wire sends the power to the fuel pump. However if you use that JP5 will have to be +

COM: To the trigger on the fan relay. Dark Blue with Pink tracer (DB/PK), also on the PDC harness. You may also want to put a diode on the DB/PK wire going back to the PCM so that negative doesn't go to the PCM. Don't know if it would do anything, but I don't know that for a fact.

N/O: Negative or ground, because the fan is a negative trigger. Can just jumper off "-" on the Elm.

If you look at this PDF: http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/960_hookups.pdf you are basically doing #1.

The wattage won't matter with this as you are simply running the factory relay. I would not directly power the fan using the Elm relay.

Now that I got that figured I will just have to get one for myself.

-Chris

jp1 - SEC
    jp2 - 1-shot
    jp3 - begin
    jp4 - A
    jp5 - +
    - - ground
    com - ground

Ok let me see here. Tell me if this is correct:

jp1 - SEC
jp2 - 1-shot
jp3 - begin
jp4 - A
jp5 - +

+ to positive battery terminal
- to negative battery terminal
tgr is wired to lighter fuse at fuse box
n/o to db/pk wire
com to a grounded bolt on chassis

I can hook the "-" to the negative battery terminal or do I have to use a ground bolt on the chassis?

how do u tap into the lighter fuse? what color the wire for the lighter fuse?

Negative at the battery is exactly the same as chassis ground. Actually you can just run a little jumper wire on the timer from the com connection to the "-" connection.

Cig lighter is red wire coming out of the junction block (inside cab fuse box). You can use any wire that gets power in the run key position but turns off when you turn off the key. Use your meter to test. Key off - no power, key on - power. That is your trigger.

The timer is tripped on when the key turns off. This activates the fan for the predetermined time.

Negative at the battery is exactly the same as chassis ground. Actually you can just run a little jumper wire on the timer from the com connection to the "-" connection.

Cig lighter is red wire coming out of the junction block (inside cab fuse box). You can use any wire that gets power in the run key position but turns off when you turn off the key. Use your meter to test. Key off - no power, key on - power. That is your trigger.

The timer is tripped on when the key turns off. This activates the fan for the predetermined time.

While I was waiting for this answer, i tried it with the fuel pump wire (DG/WT) instead of cig lighter and it still didn't work. The fan wouldn't stay on after shutting it down. I'm gonna try the cig lighter.

Is there another wire I can use besides the cig lighter? There are about 5-6 red wires coming out of the fuse block and very tight wires so I can't get any slack in them to splice em open and tap into and can't find any connectors to test em with the MM. Any other wires in the PDC that I can use?

Any wire that is on when it is running and turns off when the key is off. You might have some other issue too. For a test, just hook the trg wire to the plus terminal on the battery for a minute or two with the truck off. When you disconnect that wire, it should trip the relay to run the fan.

Are you sure that everything else including the jumpers internal to the timer are set the same way as that earlier post that you copied that I copied?

jp1 - SEC
    jp2 - 1-shot
    jp3 - begin
    jp4 - A
    jp5 - +
    - - ground
    com - ground

Any wire that is on when it is running and turns off when the key is off. You might have some other issue too. For a test, just hook the trg wire to the plus terminal on the battery for a minute or two with the truck off. When you disconnect that wire, it should trip the relay to run the fan.

Are you sure that everything else including the jumpers internal to the timer are set the same way as that earlier post that you copied that I copied?

Yup, all the jumpers are set right. I have it set for 30 seconds. The fan runs as soon as the jeep is started and doesn't shut off until I turn the key off.

I'm pretty positive the wires are set up correctly. I just don't see why it's not working.

Are we sure the DB/WT wire is for the fan? Does the cig lighter wire run up in the pdc harness? if so, what color wire?

DB/PK wire is from the fan relay.

Is jumper 3 set at begin?

Why not just hook in under the dash to the cig lighter if the wire is so hard to find?

Yes jumper 3 is set on begin. I did your test on the positive battery terminal. The led light goes out when i touch tgr to the + terminal. When I let go after a minute, the led light pops on for 30 seconds and then shuts off (timer set for 30) but no fan. I don't understand why the fan isn't turning on.

I didn't think of tearing off the dash. I'm actually wiring up everything right next to the fuse box in the engine bay so routing the wire all the way into the cab to the cig lighter is a pain. Doesn't the cig lighter wire run up into the pdc too?

Well its' dark now so I guess i'll resume this PITA project tomorrow. I think i'll just get a long wire and run a temp wire to the cig lighter to test it and see.

Holy sh*t! It won't work. After more studying of the wire harness, in the key off position, there is no power going to the activation side of the relay. It's not just you! I've got to figure out some other way. Either we have to make that relay hot all the time or add another relay.

Do you know where you found that other post with the connections? I'll have to study this a while.

After more studying of the wire harness, in the key off position, there is no power going to the activation side of the relay.

Its dropping the positive to the fan relay aqctivation?

Besides that being a problem, since the fan is running when the engine is keyed on, try changing the negative from N/O to N/C

Its dropping the positive to the fan relay aqctivation?

Besides that being a problem, since the fan is running when the engine is keyed on, try changing the negative from N/O to N/C

How do you do that?

edit: never mind, didn't see the n/c port on the timer. Should I try it?

Holy sh*t! It won't work. After more studying of the wire harness, in the key off position, there is no power going to the activation side of the relay. It's not just you! I've got to figure out some other way. Either we have to make that relay hot all the time or add another relay.

Do you know where you found that other post with the connections? I'll have to study this a while.

sorry, what connections you speaking of?

Back