• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Million Post March. When will NAXJA reach 1 million posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
118434.jpg

118401.jpg

118337.JPG

118335.jpg

118218.jpg

118217.jpg

118216.jpg

118215.jpg

118214.jpg

118199.jpg

118198.jpg

118151.jpg

A pic of the Global Hawk UAV that returned from the war zone on Monday (7-24-06) under its own power. (Iraq to Edwards AFB in CA) Not transported via C5 or C17. Notice the mission paintings on the fuselage. It's actually over 250 missions (& I would suppose 25 air medals).

That's a long way for a remotely-piloted aircraft. Think of the technology (& the req'd quality of the data link to fly it remotely). Not only that, but the pilot controlled it from a nice warm control panel at Edwards AFB.

I worked on Global Hawk several years ago during it's OT&E out of Edwards. It has really long legs - can stay up for almost 2 days at altitudes above 60k. They flew it via satellite control to Australia, & we flew missions during OT&E that went from Eddy to upper Alaska & back non-stop.

I also got the chance to work as pilot debriefer & test evaluator on the FA-22 OT&E summer before last at EDW. I was totally blown away by the airplane. Unless you have ever watched them go 2 or 4 V many on the big electronic game board, you have no idea what stealth brings to the battle. Basically, they come into the fight at a high mach # in mil thrust, start killing people way out w/AMRAAMS, & continue doing that until everyone is dead, & no one ever sees them or paints them on radar. There is practically no radio chatter because all the guys in the flight are tied together electronically, & can see who is targeting who, & they have AWACS direct input & 360° situational awareness from that & other sensors. The aggressors had a morale problem before it was all over. The only shots that I ever saw taken on a 22 were when someone screwed up & popped up high enough to leave a contrail. I went in a skeptic & came out a true believer. It is to air superiority what the jet engine was to aviation.

Submitted by John P.
118144.JPG

118113.jpg

118108.jpg

118104.jpg

118098.jpg

118085.jpg

118084.jpg

YOu need a hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back