• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mile Marker Winches

xjbear

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj with a nice big winch bumper but with no winch. I dont really want to spend a whole lot but i also dont want to get a piece of junk. My jeep is also my daily driver so i dont do any hardcore wheelin cause i need a ride to get to school. I was looking at some mile marker winches and i have found one that seems to suit me. The PE8000 http://www.milemarker.com/PE8000.html it is only $399.99 which i dont think is to bad. I was wondering if anyone else has had a mile marker winch or even the PE8000. Are the mile marker winches quality winches or should I save up and buy a warn.http://www.milemarker.com/PE8000.html

I have the 9500 and love it. It is as fast as my warn 9000 on my YJ and a lot less expensive. It has seen a lot of use and has never failed me. I know a few guys with the 8000 and yes it is a slower winch but Ive seen the 8000 pull a very stuck(burried to just below its windows) xj through a mud pit 100ft long.
I wouldnt hesitate to get another MM winch

Make sure you differentiate between old and new Mile Marker winches.

They've got a new line out as of February this year.

They're a mosfet controlled variable speed trigger winch. A little more pricey, but it looks as if they've stepped into something kinda new here. The winches speed is controlled by how far you squeeze your trigger controller.

Check them out.
http://www.rjroffroad.com/Mile-Marker-VMX-Variable-Speed-Mosfet-Winch-c-351-p-1-pr-16900.html

Can't say if their performance has approved much really though, the e9000 is rated at 14fpm at zero load on layer 1 of the cable, the new vmx9000 is the same. Not sure if it changes under load at all, and I don't have specs on the new winch, only the old one.

The warn xd9000 is 38fpm at zero load, but boasts a much larger pricetag of course.. Warn also sells those Tabor9k's now which are probably comparable to the e9000 milemarker.

Personally, I have the taste for a Warn 9500TI thermometric ringing in at 62fpm, but the budget for a mile marker or chicago electric. we'll see, i could always hold off for the tax return.

Last edited:
I have the E9000 and have used several times, mostly for other people
icon12.gif
. I did use it once when my engine hydro locked and pulled myself out of the hole, up a hill and to safety with only battery power. It may be slow but this also means a lower current draw. Quality winch, great price.

gregmondro said:
It isn't the fastest winch out there, but it'll pull all day long :)

x2

Another mid price option to look at is t-max. I'd have scoffed at them a year ago, but acquired a t-max ew9000 new in box through some trading this last winter. Saturday I pulled for about 4 hours, while the warn's around me were smoking and throwing light shows from the solenoids. (granted, they'd been pulling for hours too, but I had no problems at all).

A good friend has a $399 milemarker. Sometimes its faster to get out and push the jeep, but it always gets the job done.

We sell them at the shop i work for, nice quality despite all the crap talked about them. However, for the money i would go ahead and get the 12k and be done with it. For 75 bucks more i have no qualms about ever getting the bigger one...

Just bought a 12000 MM from Ebay for $549 shipped and it will pull allday long and you can lay your hand right on it. My buddy has a 9500 Warn on his TJ and after a short heavy pull you could fry bacon on his. Mine is slower but it will pull without ever getting hot like a over rated Warn. This is my second MM the first was on my old Dodge Power Wagon and it was not as powerful as my new one but would still outpull a Warn. If I could not get a Mile Marker I would look at a Ramsey.

I have the Mile Marker 10,500 hydro, like everybody said..... it is slow, but unless you're racing someone to see who has the faster winch..... who cares? It hasn't failed to pull anything out yet, I love it!

My MM 8k works great. It's slow, but why do you need to go quickly? You have a wire rope under high tension and your Jeep in a stuck/bad situation. There is no need to speed.

The fire dept I run on has 3 wildland trucks, each with a mile marker winch. 2 hydraulic, 1 electric. Each truck carries 300-550 gallons of water plus booster reels, pumps, chain saws, etc. We have used all 3 winches at various times to get trucks unstuck, winch dead trees off of trails, and stabilize overturned vehicles. We have never had a single issue with any of the three. I would buy one for my personal rig in a heartbeat. The oldest hydraulic has been in use for over 4 years. Quality stuff.

my buddy runs the 12K on his TJ been working great for couple years

Back