• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual line lock

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
im looking for a line lock for that is not run off electric. i searched summit and goggled and i can find threads on other sites of guys running them but none link or label the manufacture. any one know where i can get one?

just found this http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.620/.f?sc=2&category=215
but i don't like the push button i would like a lever like a ball valve or something
like this
2003-08-01MarcK10RearDisc05.jpg

Search for Mico brand.

If you're thinking about this for a parking or emergency brake, think again. It's not a replacement.

well my many reasons. im installing the adj PV in the cab and since im messing with the lines im going to add it in the case i rip or burst a rear line i can isolate them and use the front. also using them to lock on a hill while letting out the clucth since the rear disc have more holding them the ebarke. also as a theft deterent i can lock and remove the handle.

just wonder why not use them as a parking brake? if there is no leakage i the lines they should permanently hold?

In my experience (granted, somewhat more severe than an XJ application,) line locks *DO* leak down. Personally, I wouldn't use a line lock to hold for more than a couple of minutes at at best, and requires that someone be in the driver's seat as well.

Secondly, emergency brakes or parking brakes, IMHO, should be a completely separate system from the primary braking system. Using a line lock well separated from the brakes themselves gives several opportunities for failure (ruptures, seals, calipers, cylinders, etc.) Using a pinion brake mitigates the brake system issue, but still depends on driveshafts and axles being intact (subject to locked diffs, etc.)

If you're looking to isolate a brake circuit, you don't want a line lock anyway. When engaged, line locks act as one-way check valves. So, if you pop a rear brake line, then engage the line lock, you'll still blow fluid through the line lock.

In my experience (granted, somewhat more severe than an XJ application,) line locks *DO* leak down. Personally, I wouldn't use a line lock to hold for more than a couple of minutes at at best, and requires that someone be in the driver's seat as well.

Secondly, emergency brakes or parking brakes, IMHO, should be a completely separate system from the primary braking system. Using a line lock well separated from the brakes themselves gives several opportunities for failure (ruptures, seals, calipers, cylinders, etc.) Using a pinion brake mitigates the brake system issue, but still depends on driveshafts and axles being intact (subject to locked diffs, etc.)

If you're looking to isolate a brake circuit, you don't want a line lock anyway. When engaged, line locks act as one-way check valves. So, if you pop a rear brake line, then engage the line lock, you'll still blow fluid through the line lock.

Mico Micro locks are used on a lot of construction equipment. Pettibone is one of the larger users of it.
Properly working micro locks (i cant speak for other brands) do not leak down.... They are a very simple system which consists of a pencil sized plunger and 2 o rings.
If I was to do one on mine I would plumb it in to the front brakes as I would trust calipers more than wheel cylinders.

the way i read mico's products is that they are a check valve so they would act like ChiXJeff said. the one in the pic i posted is a ball valve so it should not have fluid passing both directions. if it is a quality valve it should not leak down either.

also i have 4 wheel discs

as for my primary parking system is my jeep in gear with my wheels pointing in the best scenario if it popped out of gear. also i know i have good compression this way.

Last edited:
It’s not the line lock (Micro) that leaks down. It’s the Caliber or wheel cylinder. They are not made to hold pressure for long periods of time.

It’s not the line lock (Micro) that leaks down. It’s the Caliber or wheel cylinder. They are not made to hold pressure for long periods of time.
Yeah, it is the line lock. Where exactly is that fluid going if the caliper/wheel cylinder is leaking down? This is a one-line hydraulic system we're talking about... it's either going back up the line through the line lock or it's going out through the cylinder seals onto the ground.

Yeah, it is the line lock. Where exactly is that fluid going if the caliper/wheel cylinder is leaking down? This is a one-line hydraulic system we're talking about... it's either going back up the line through the line lock or it's going out through the cylinder seals onto the ground.

Any hydraulic piston that designed to hold high pressure will have multiple lip seals. It does not take much volume to lose pressure. One drop could do it. This has been my experience working on forklifts and other industrial equipment for 35 years.

Any hydraulic piston that designed to hold high pressure will have multiple lip seals. It does not take much volume to lose pressure. One drop could do it. This has been my experience working on forklifts and other industrial equipment for 35 years.

i have run into the same issues with mountain bike disc brakes. they are a very low pressure low fluid system. if your off alittle your in the trees!

Back