• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LS2 XJ

Even with these little hiccups, I don't see any reason as to why we won't be at the crawl with the LS2 XJ! :greensmok

Now that's what I like to hear!

Have you gotten the dash back from Novak?

Have you tried Northridge4x4? They are a stocking warehouse. Prompt shipper too.

The problem has been resolved. I remembered a buddy of mine who has an ARB that is like new, only been run a little and it has been freshened up with new seals and the like. Plus we got it for half the price if a new one, so score! It will be here on Wednesday!

Ed, I called Novak today for an update, and they said they would have to call me back about it. They did, but I missed the call, so I will have to call again tomorrow. I don't know what the deal is, but one guy (Dave, I think?) said it could be 3 weeks??? He said that the place they send it to was backed up? Dave wasn't the guy I HAD been dealing with, so he wasn't real sure what was going on. However, last week when they got it, one of the guys (Ken) that works there told me that he does the mod, and he would get it back to me this week. I don't know whats going on, they have been super helpful, but sometimes I feel like they just tell you what you want hear. They do have really nice products though! Sure saved me a lot of time and work!

Last edited:
Well, I think I found a resolution for the Fan situation this morning... See, right now, I have it set up so that the Jeep PCM will turn the fans on, so if the engine reaches 210* or if the A/C is turned on (once we have hoses made and the system charged) the computer tells them to come on. The problem with that is, 210* is a little warm for my taste. I feel like it should be on no later than 195*. So, while having it tuned, I had him set the GM PCM to give a fan signal when the engine reaches 192*. My issue was that I wasn't sure how to make the A/C turn the fans on too, without having some kind of input to the GM PCM. The problem with that is that all of the A/C stuff was deleted out of the GM computer to prevent any DTCs and a check engine light. The solution is as follows: Both the GM and the Jeep computer ground the relay to turn the fans on, so basically I just need to hook up both grounds to the relay. If the A/C is off, the GM computer will turn the fans on at 192*, but if the engine is still below operating temp, and the A/C is turned on, then the Jeep computer will turn on the A/C, and the fans. We also will have a switch to manually ground the relays, just as a precaution and as a backup plan. Sound good?

Well, I think I found a resolution for the Fan situation this morning... See, right now, I have it set up so that the Jeep PCM will turn the fans on, so if the engine reaches 210* or if the A/C is turned on (once we have hoses made and the system charged) the computer tells them to come on. The problem with that is, 210* is a little warm for my taste. I feel like it should be on no later than 195*. So, while having it tuned, I had him set the GM PCM to give a fan signal when the engine reaches 192*. My issue was that I wasn't sure how to make the A/C turn the fans on too, without having some kind of input to the GM PCM. The problem with that is that all of the A/C stuff was deleted out of the GM computer to prevent any DTCs and a check engine light. The solution is as follows: Both the GM and the Jeep computer ground the relay to turn the fans on, so basically I just need to hook up both grounds to the relay. If the A/C is off, the GM computer will turn the fans on at 192*, but if the engine is still below operating temp, and the A/C is turned on, then the Jeep computer will turn on the A/C, and the fans. We also will have a switch to manually ground the relays, just as a precaution and as a backup plan. Sound good?
Sounds like a plan though if the GM PCM has any output monitoring it may throw a CEL when the Jeep ECU grounds the relay (it'll see this as a shorted/grounded output.) You may want to use two separate relays, one for each computer, with the switches in parallel - i.e. either relay will turn on the fan but neither computer can see what the other is doing. Then either use a third relay for the switch, or wire the switch to the same relay as the Jeep ECU since it won't be able to complain visibly anyways.

I'm Lost!

Sounds like a plan though if the GM PCM has any output monitoring it may throw a CEL when the Jeep ECU grounds the relay (it'll see this as a shorted/grounded output.) You may want to use two separate relays, one for each computer, with the switches in parallel - i.e. either relay will turn on the fan but neither computer can see what the other is doing. Then either use a third relay for the switch, or wire the switch to the same relay as the Jeep ECU since it won't be able to complain visibly anyways.

Lost!

The GM ECM won't complain. Even if it did, the tuner can easlily edit it to not complain.

Ok, not lost anymore! :D

Making 2 PCMs work together sounds tricky. You guys seem to have it figured out pretty well!

Tyler, sounds like you are on the ball. I can't wait to see this thing in person. This has been an ambitious swap to say the least.

Hey, anybody remember the days when a motor didn't need a "tune" to run like a scalded dog or am I the only old one here?????

rode in this beast up to the exhaust shop today with tyler so they could put the collector gaskets in it.... "it moves quickly" is an understatement ;)

Well, got the front axle stripped down of all its ugliness and crap. It now is a clean bare housing that is ready to be cut down and narrowed. I also helped Doug get the stroker running, and then got the inner beadlock rings welded on Brent's wheels. I also drove the jeep up to the exhaust shop and had them install the collector gaskets since they forgot.

Tomorrow I have to go get the bolts for the beadlocks and mount the tires. Then narrow the front housing, and hopefully get the rear axle set up if the ARB shows. Lots to do, but I have to push myself if its gonna get done!

Well, today was filled with Joy and disappointment.

I went this morning and picked up the bolts for the bead locks and got them mounted up. Then, I fixed up the fan wiring and ran a new ground to the engine (the old one was way too long). The ARB didn't come in unfortunately. They had got the wrong seal housing for it, so it wont be here until tomorrow or Friday. But, I didn't have any time to waste, so I went ahead and got the mid frame stiffners installed. Tomorrow I am going to narrow the front housing down, and then hopefully get the gears installed in it. Brent said they are supposed to come in according to the tracking number. So, another slow day I guess. It's gotta stop. Its putting me behind schedule.

Oh well, we're still good. Just means I'm gonna have to suck it up and hammer down.

Here are some pictures of the exhaust system (took them while it was on the lift yesterday), and also a picture of the new shoes!

0615101502a.jpg

0615101502b.jpg

0616101234a.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed for us guys! Im gonna need all the encouragement I can get to be able to finish this thing in time.

Go Tyler go!!!! My fingers and toes are crossed for ya.

I assume this lives where there are no inspections?

We have inspections... it will be getting heat shields so it will pass the converter visual inspection, and the computer has been flashed so it doesn't throw any codes, so as long as it's got a good gas cap, it will go right on through.

We have inspections... it will be getting heat shields so it will pass the converter visual inspection, and the computer has been flashed so it doesn't throw any codes, so as long as it's got a good gas cap, it will go right on through.

Intresting, so its not like cali where they check the exhaust gases?

They do on all vehicles 75-95, but on all 96 up (OBD2) they just do a visual inspection (half the time they don't even look) and then plug it up to check for codes. But... to be honest, I have seen lots of vehicles with no converters go right on through. Including my Ranger.

Back