• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering the drinking age?

Should the US lower their drinking age to 18?

• Yes

Votes: 88 46.8%
  • No

Votes: 100 53.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Andx0r said:
Addendum:

In my America, anyone who takes my post seriously will also be sterilized, in an effort to promote the national IQ. Anyone who takes my post seriously while driving a Jeep with an 'It's a Jeep Thing - You Wouldn't Understand.' bumper sticker will be executed.

So what your saying is you need to be sterilized?

:D

Andx0r said:
-Anybody caught driving a Jeep with an 'It's a Jeep Thing - You Wouldn't Understand' sticker on it will be flogged on national television.

I think this is only thing you said that I agree with haha

This is possibly the closest poll ever on NAXJA.
About 160 votes with a difference of only a couple votes. Awesome.

Andx0r said:
I'm actually planning to get a vasectomy soon. :anon:

Great post!! Very funny!

Also, welcome to the i'm fixxed (or broken) club.....

I have two beautiful kids and thats enough for me!!

Oh yeah and you would have a reason to deny custody in the event of "I'm pregnant"......

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but, the problem with drinking ages is the anticipation of being able to drink legally. It is because of this that the US has so many problems with alcohol.
In most counties (not all) drinking alcohol is considered a meal time event and not a big deal. NOT a recreational activity like it is here. There are no restrictions therefore people don't go out of their way try and break them. You don't have 20 year olds walking around saying how they can't wait to turn 21. We've all been there but imagine what it would be like if there was no exaggerated emphasis on alcohol. People would adapt earlier to it and choose to or not to at will. Not because some law told them to.

Thant being said, it is what it is and I voted to keep the age at 21.

Also, if there was no law, it would be *less* socialy acceptable to abuse alcohol. The problem with these types of laws is that it takes the power away from those with a brain.

But unfortunatley, we live in a world that caters to STUPID people and we're left to live in the consiquences of it.

x2. Back in 1972 we tried legalizing drinking at 18. It was crazy. All the bars were jammed. Of course, I was 21 and crazy at the same time. But I agree that 19 might at least cut it down a little in the high schools.

Deadman 94 xj said:
Also, if there was no law, it would be *less* socialy acceptable to abuse alcohol. The problem with these types of laws is that it takes the power away from those with a brain.

But unfortunatley, we live in a world that caters to STUPID people and we're left to live in the consiquences of it.

Exactly! We spend TONS of money printing exactly every ingredient in anything we can consume to protect the stupid people, but honestly, do SMART people even read them? I'm all fine with warnings about allergens and addictiveness, but every single ingredient? C'mon...

Same with "buckle up" laws, if there weren't stupid people, they wouldn't exist.

And air bags

and... well I had more ideas, but ran out of steam...

18 years and 24 days without alcohol or drugs!

Mr_Random said:
I'm all fine with warnings about allergens and addictiveness, but every single ingredient? C'mon...

I felt the same way a couple of years ago, then I met my wife and she has by far the wierdest allergys I've ever seen. If we are trying something new we have to read the ingredients first.

Mr_Random said:

Good for you, life is probably easier without vices, I wouldn't know. I would suggest you get out of Yuma before that town turns you into a drunk.

A vote for 19, out of the house and 'on their own'. But I wouldn't mind 19 for voting, tobacco and military service either (and being an adult). Driving age to stay the same, give 'em a few years to figure out driving before you add the others, (not saying they wont try it anyway), stricter drunk driving laws would not be a bad idea. Three years difference doesnt really seem to make a lot of difference in maturity for most. For the record, I am 20, drink on occasion, but never will I drive or ride with someone that has been drinking and I plan on staying wherever I do drink, I also believe that that would be good practice when I do turn 21.

Last edited:
Mr_Random said:

haha i used to be that way. sXe for life...

Your day will come... ;)

xjtrailrider said:
Keep the drinking age at 21 unless you are enlisted and have a military ID, then let the soldiers drink at 18. If they are willing to fight for my freedom then they should be able to drink a beer legally.

Raise the driving age to 18, kids cant drive these days. Since they removed drivers-ed from high school in Virginia, our young drivers are dieing left and right and taking a few of us with them.

You sound like an old man. LOL.

fscrig75 said:
One hell of a point there! Yea people are going to do drugs no matter what, but if they could legally drink drug use in 18+ would probably drop
Drinking is doing "drugs"; alcohol is a drug.

Bent said:

So is coffee

Bent said:
So isn't eating turkey for that matter

Back