• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local shop to buy a radiator and pump

I have had bad experiences with aftermarket 2-3 row radiators.
The champion aluminum ones are junk, I had three leak from the rows within a year on me. CSF 3 row was not keeping the jeep cool on the highway.

Put in an autozone stock replacement and it runs cool all day even going up mountains.

It is funny to think my overheating issue I have been fighting for for years was because of the aftermarket "performance" parts.

well bad experiences get talked about and good ones get forgotten..

I have had my original thick 2 row american eagle (Same company and facility as champion) all alum in since 2011 and ran: some of KOH, glen helen, Bluewater desert challenge, a few very hard Calico trips and a few trips to salton sea, as well as about 2-300 miles around town and some very hard shock testing sessions. I have not had to open my cooling system other then to replace a motor right after KOH 2012. I have not touched anything cooling. I have never seen temps over 185, and never had a concern on temps. I have ran a sand wash that was about 1ft deep soft sand that most 2wd would stop and have to dig out of, at about 45mph floored with a 4.7+ 10.5-11:1 comp stroker on 116oct fuel, for over about 3 min straight, without temps rising. I run all longacre pro gauges, and have both a temp gauge and a 210 idiot light. So know its never overheated and all has been good.

I LOVE my flowcooler pump, All alum rad (thick 2 row), ZJ v8 fan clutch, 10 curved blade stock elec fan, stock shrouds, and 180deg t-stat, and a I think a 20lbs rad cap. Never failed me yet...

On another note. I have seen 3 fans melt, engines loose head gaskets and total loss, due to 3 elect fan setups. I have seen plastic endcaps crack within a year. I have seen stock radiators open up at brazed connections. All of which are bad experiences that like I said get remembered. But I know that the general public has had good experiences with stock stuff. If in a stock Jeep and maintained.

So what your all saying is flow cooler pump, alu2 row, coil filled hoses, etc.

Ill do it ASAP.

Anyone want a Napa radiator and water pump with 500 miles on em?

also get a 190deg t-stat drill a small hole in it for a small amount of consistent flow, a 18lb rad cap, water wetter by redline (or similar), zj clutch, and make sure your elect fan works and the stock mech fan shroud is fully there.

well bad experiences get talked about and good ones get forgotten..

I have had my original thick 2 row american eagle (Same company and facility as champion) all alum in since 2011 and ran: some of KOH, glen helen, Bluewater desert challenge, a few very hard Calico trips and a few trips to salton sea, as well as about 2-300 miles around town and some very hard shock testing sessions. I have not had to open my cooling system other then to replace a motor right after KOH 2012. I have not touched anything cooling. I have never seen temps over 185, and never had a concern on temps. I have ran a sand wash that was about 1ft deep soft sand that most 2wd would stop and have to dig out of, at about 45mph floored with a 4.7+ 10.5-11:1 comp stroker on 116oct fuel, for over about 3 min straight, without temps rising. I run all longacre pro gauges, and have both a temp gauge and a 210 idiot light. So know its never overheated and all has been good.

I LOVE my flowcooler pump, All alum rad (thick 2 row), ZJ v8 fan clutch, 10 curved blade stock elec fan, stock shrouds, and 180deg t-stat, and a I think a 20lbs rad cap. Never failed me yet...

On another note. I have seen 3 fans melt, engines loose head gaskets and total loss, due to 3 elect fan setups. I have seen plastic endcaps crack within a year. I have seen stock radiators open up at brazed connections. All of which are bad experiences that like I said get remembered. But I know that the general public has had good experiences with stock stuff. If in a stock Jeep and maintained.

Unfortunately that is the truth, rarely do we get posts or feedback from the good experiences.
I was only speaking from personal experience, heck I even bought dealer radiator hoses and caps just to rule out everything. The jeep still ran hot and was undrivable up hills with the CSF, swapped from a overheating AW4 for a AX15 and it dropped the temp a little but still overheated. Then as one last ditch effort put the autozone radiator in and its been running in spec ever since.

I guess all I am trying to say is just because it says "hi performance" does not always mean it will cool better. If I had replaced the clogged up stock radiator 4 years ago with a stock one instead of a aftermarket one I would have not spent hundreds of dollars and swapped radiators multiple times.

I have had a lot of people that call in and want to buy the fan kit thinking it will cure an overheating issue, I always tell them that unless the cooling system is working properly with the stock fans that our kit won't be any different. Even going so far as telling people not to buy our kit for reasons like that.

stock radiator from orileys, new thermostat and rad cap, stock fan clutch, stock old hoses, on 37's and 1 tons with a tired motor, and it never goes higher than 210, even with the a/c on climbing long hills like going up to big bear. the radiator helped, even though my previous one wasn't very old, i think it was loaded up with crap from the block. I had a zj fan clutch previously, but it didn't change much other than the jeep sounding like a jet engine. radiator cap is important, i had one go bad in the past, and it got warm. Also, if you have a failsafe thermostat and have ever overheated, it's probably stuck open.

Back