• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Load Suggestions?

where are the NAXJA min-requirements, im afraid ill have to find some sort of rear recovery before i can go, i just wanna make sure im all set to go! (well convince the g/f to come with me for her birthday/one year anniversary) lol

where are the NAXJA min-requirements, im afraid ill have to find some sort of rear recovery before i can go, i just wanna make sure im all set to go! (well convince the g/f to come with me for her birthday/one year anniversary) lol

http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Check the end of the page, Section 3 + Equipment List. I'm assuming it's pretty well enforced, I still have a variety of requirements to meet before March...

http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Check the end of the page, Section 3 + Equipment List. I'm assuming it's pretty well enforced, I still have a variety of requirements to meet before March...

Thanks!
Those are the correct requirements and yes, they are well enforced.

It's also posted in the Winterfest forum. Any questions anyone may have pertaining to any particular requirements can be fielded there.

Just tell her there will be a nice cozy campfire involved..................oh and apparently something about sheep! :gag:

Just be reasonable and you'll be fine. I went to WF at the badlands 2 years ago with 4.5", 32's, open front and rear, and overheating issues. Oh yeah, I also drove it there and back about 6-ish hours through Chicago traffic (Racine, WI). I got through just about every trail there, I can't remember exactly. I never got seriously stuck and only need a couple little pulls. The only thing different if I get out there this year will be a trailer, and possibly a lunchbox locker or two. I still have a D44 and a D60 waiting to be built in the garage which is moving insanely slow... stupid money.

Brit's Driver - Mike

I'm wanting to register for this...but my concern is much the same as XJ Strykers concerns. My rig is:
1) not much of a rig, (a 4.5" lift and 31's)
2) going to be driving there and hopefully driving it back :D

so, I'm a little wary of actually attending.

Fire Extinguishers will be DOUBLE checked.

:D

Rev

Good thing i got one. After Les' fire at CF i decided it was a good idea

OK this will be my first official wheelin trip. So I will really be testing my rig. I will also be camping out there.

So my question is from all you vets.

What are some important Parts I should make sure I have!

Also what are some things for camping out there that you found very useful and make life a lil more bearable outside in the cold.

I know you can never have parts for every thing so I will scrounge what i can and hope.

Thanks!

take a look here...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60458

BOB

Just be reasonable and you'll be fine. I went to WF at the badlands 2 years ago with 4.5", 32's, open front and rear, and overheating issues. Oh yeah, I also drove it there and back about 6-ish hours through Chicago traffic (Racine, WI). I got through just about every trail there, I can't remember exactly. I never got seriously stuck and only need a couple little pulls. The only thing different if I get out there this year will be a trailer, and possibly a lunchbox locker or two. I still have a D44 and a D60 waiting to be built in the garage which is moving insanely slow... stupid money.

Brit's Driver - Mike

Thanks man. I'm definitely gonna come out for this WF. I'm hopin for a locker or two before WF as well. I think my 31's are gonna be my biggest handicap.

Okay guys, I am trying my best to make it to this event, however, I am completly stock. I was hoping I could catch a ride(s) with someone else. Since I don't plan on runnig with my rig, I was thinking I will load up all the tools I can fit in the thing and kinda be a "supply/work" site for anyone lookings for tools..... I'm driving 10hrs starting Friday Morning to get there.

Austin

Okay guys, I am trying my best to make it to this event, however, I am completly stock. I was hoping I could catch a ride(s) with someone else. Since I don't plan on runnig with my rig, I was thinking I will load up all the tools I can fit in the thing and kinda be a "supply/work" site for anyone lookings for tools..... I'm driving 10hrs starting Friday Morning to get there.

Austin

Like others are saying, you CAN, no, SHOULD, run some trails with a stock rig. My first time out was with my stock ZJ, and I had a blast. I did end up with some paint scratches from branches, as I wasn't as careful as I should have been. I was on some trails I really shouldn't have been on, and all I broke was a sway bar link (cheap/quick to fix).

Of course you'd probably have fun riding along with somebody, looking at some of the rigs people on here have, I think I'd have a lot of fun riding along on the white/pink trails.

Well if I do run it, I need to get some sort of front end recovery... I really dont like the idea of tow hooks.. .(bad past experiences...) So that pretty much narrows it to a new bumper, which i'm not sure i could get in time....

Austin

Well if I do run it, I need to get some sort of front end recovery... I really dont like the idea of tow hooks.. .(bad past experiences...) So that pretty much narrows it to a new bumper, which i'm not sure i could get in time....

Austin

I'm debating between tow hooks and a front receiver, which would at least tie the frame rails together, plus if you get a winch later you can get a 2" hitch mount for it. Most designs look like they will hurt your approach angle a bit, though. What was your bad past experience with tow hooks, I'm kind of worried now...

Well I grew up in a Farm setting and between the cousins and neighbors, seen a lot of hooks ripped out, or slicing the strap, stuff like that.... I just don't perfer them.... I'd rather save the money and wait to get a bumper.... I thought about front hitch, but would again rather keep the money an get a bumper with hitch built in...

Austin

Last edited:
Heck the first time I went with my old dodge, I had a guy in a stock s10 blazer follow me most of the day. Stock rigs, especially jeeps will do fine in a good portion of the terrain.

Well the issue is more or less no front tow points atm....

That is farm equipment though! if you get a set of tow hook brackets and tow hooks you won't have to worry. My Jeep is nearly stock and I'll be running the green trail. Make sure you get a fire extinguisher too if you plan to run a trail. Trust me a Stock XJ will surprise you with what it can do! I do want to catch a ride on a harder trail though!

Mine is stock except for 235/75 tires and I am going to do the green trails. I have been to The Badlands many times in my old trail rig. It was a 2001 Xterra :doh: with a 3" lift and ARB, Shrock Works sliders and rear bumper and ARB skidplate, ect. It had a factory LSD and some good flex, but the center links wear out on them because of the weirdo IFS and the 4WD sucks compared to the XJ straight axle. The thing that I always came away with every time was tree pinstripes __________________. I agree that the sliders or rock rails are probably the best thing for a stock rig there. Just be careful and be aware of what is around you.

Mine is stock except for 235/75 tires and I am going to do the green trails. I have been to The Badlands many times in my old trail rig. It was a 2001 Xterra :doh: with a 3" lift and ARB, Shrock Works sliders and rear bumper and ARB skidplate, ect. It had a factory LSD and some good flex, but the center links wear out on them because of the weirdo IFS and the 4WD sucks compared to the XJ straight axle. The thing that I always came away with every time was tree pinstripes __________________. I agree that the sliders or rock rails are probably the best thing for a stock rig there. Just be careful and be aware of what is around you.

My buddy runs an 05 Xterra with just skid plates, but he is getting ready for a suspension+body lift and some 35s. He definitely gets weird looks out there, but it's way more capable than I would have expected. And yea the pinstripes look great on his previously untarnished black paint.

I will probably be going with only tow hooks, and just not get stuck. As if I have any control over that.

Back