• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leavenworth kansas?

Yeah cabela's is sweet. If you get a chance check out the bass pro in independence but it's bigger than cabelas. if you say you are a rookie then check the ks rocks website for info on our 101 class. Awesome for the confidence. And great teachers. A little "classroom" time followed by trail time.

yeah i think thats what i might do. my jeep currently has 5.5RE LA lift with 33" trxus MT's and front tow points only for now. what i plan to do next is a gas tank skid, rocker protection, and ive been wanting to upgrade to a locked 8.8 for quite some time.

you think ill be able to keep up with you guys on most trails as is? or am i gonna need front and rear lockers for sure.

You would be just fine. I ran a KJ on a 2.5" lift and 31"s and open axles at KS Rocks almost weekly for a while and went a lot of places when it was dry and was even impressed while it was wet. Most of the people in the 101 class have something a little closer to stock but that doesn't matter it's good experiance and advice.

If you do come to the 101 it's also a night run and make sure you have a rear tow point also. (Rear hitch works just get a shackle for it.) Cheap way is to get a tow bar without the ball and find a large shackle that fits the hole for the ball. Otherwise I found a reciver shackle mount for 30 bucks or so off of ebay. Came with the shackle too. Oh and bring a tow strap without hooks.

I won't be there but I will probally be at the Fall Crawl, and may be able to get some wheeling in.

Parakeet

well i already have a valley class III hitch with all the hardware. my only issue with installing it is that when i installed my lift kit, the weld on the nut in the frame rail that bolts the rear shackle up broke loose so i had to cut into the unibody to get it out, so now i have around a 2 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch rectangle cut out on the bottom of the unibody. and at that time i didnt realize that that area was a mounting point for a gas tank skid and hitch. so i need those spots welded up and hopefully then i will be able to install the hitch and then ill just go to harbor freight and get a d-ring for it or just a hook.

Cleveland, Ohio to Kansas. What the heck were you thinking? Hahaha...Hey, wait a minute...I was born in Cleveland, Ohio! We actually lived in Newbury though.

You'll find Kansas isn't a bad place if you give it a chance, just don't expect it to be like any other place you've lived. If you want to see an area unique to Kansas and fairly unchanged in the last 200 years or so, drive south toward Emporia a check out the Flint Hills. I'll try to post some pics (I'm not very computer savy). There are places out there where you can see all the way to the horizon, maybe 20 miles away, and not see a man made structure or fence. I've lived in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, California and Kansas. There's just something about the unchanged scenery, the open air and feeling of freedom in the Flint Hills that appeals to me. But, then again, maybe it's just me.

Also, the Hunting and fishing here are pretty good so, if you're a sportsman, you could do alot worse.

BTW. I may try to hit the 101 deal at ksrocks myself. I've been wheeling off and on for the last 22 years or so but I'm sure I could learn a thing or two anyway.

haha i have a buddy who lives in newbury actually. TKO where in kansas are you? id like to go to the 101 thing also, maybe we can get a group and cruise there.

and i know what you mean about flint hills, i went exploring on my way to my aunts house, she lives in wichita.

i love to fish, ive never been hunting before though except for raccoons and possums in my back yard. i have a house in gates mills back in cleveland and the chagrin river runs right through my backyard, i used to catch steelhead half my size in that river.

but you are right, kansas does take some getting used to, and its actually kind of growing on me right now.

I plan taking my jeep to the kansas krawl on sept 26 at tuttle!!!!

We need to be in contact, I believe that I am open that weekend and will make the haul if so. I will probably come to Olathe Friday night to crash at your place if that is still cool?

Too the new guys, you might consider making this run as well. There will be rigs there of all levels. It is a great time each year!

haha i have a buddy who lives in newbury actually. TKO where in kansas are you? id like to go to the 101 thing also, maybe we can get a group and cruise there.

and i know what you mean about flint hills, i went exploring on my way to my aunts house, she lives in wichita.

i love to fish, ive never been hunting before though except for raccoons and possums in my back yard. i have a house in gates mills back in cleveland and the chagrin river runs right through my backyard, i used to catch steelhead half my size in that river.

but you are right, kansas does take some getting used to, and its actually kind of growing on me right now.

I'm Northeast of Wichita on 35. A little place called El Dorado (City of Gold it isn't). Ksrocks is about 2 hours straight east of me on Hwy 54. I'd guess you would probably come down 69 toward Ft. Scott so the convoy thing isn't really practical. If I can make the arrangements, maybe we could meet in Ft. Scott for breakfast prior to heading on to ksrocks.

Also, you pretty much have to come right past here to get to your aunts in Wichita. Let me know when you're headed that way next time.

Since you guys are looking at meeting for breakfast close to KS Rocks there is Mapleton right down the road a few miles. It's the Cstore and they have awesome country breakfast. Just be ready to use the can at some point soon after, they are a grease bomb waiting to happen. But well worth is.

Parakeet

Since you guys are looking at meeting for breakfast close to KS Rocks there is Mapleton right down the road a few miles. It's the Cstore and they have awesome country breakfast. Just be ready to use the can at some point soon after, they are a grease bomb waiting to happen. But well worth is.

Parakeet
I don't know that I'm real keen on the possability of assplosions after breakfast but, I rarely ever make the wise decision either.

It's worth it. You order the pancakes and you end up with three massive fluffy plate sized flapjacks. I usually eat there the whole weekend if I can secure the fund from the accountant.

Parakeet

We need to be in contact, I believe that I am open that weekend and will make the haul if so. I will probably come to Olathe Friday night to crash at your place if that is still cool?

Too the new guys, you might consider making this run as well. There will be rigs there of all levels. It is a great time each year!

you are always welcome. just let me know!

Living on the edge and within the Flint Hills is really amazing. Spent a year in Vail, CO for schooling. It was great but I wanted to be back in KS. The best thing about coming back? The drivers here are not total jerks on the road.

Might be rolling through the KC area next week at some point. Might head down to Pittsburg to say 'hi' to my younger sister and pick up an totaled XJ. I know its faster to go 75 south.... but I stop at Cabelas any chance I get! Now I must try their french-fries.... Probably cant do lunch, but a quick supper might work on the way back.

I wont go to the Krawl, but am willing to hit Tuttle up any time!

It looks like I will be meeting with Tyler for a hood when he comes down. I may have to grab a case of something nice, and figure out where you live Blake. It depends on what time he gets in.

Parakeet

Aright guys I got the rear hitch on and I'm ready for some seat time on the trails! I'm driving back home for this weekend and ill be back monday or tuesday. If you guys decide to grab dinner or go out for few beers count me in! So far I've been occupying myself with a playstation 3 for the past week, I need to give my eyes a break haha.

Also I was at legends mall a few days ago getting a couch and I saw a blue xj with a trailer the license plate said "gone jeepin" or something. Looked like a 3inch lift with 31's or 32's. Very clean lookin xj!

Back