• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knoxville relocation

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I'm moving to TN this summer, probably to the knoxville area. I've driven throught here a few times. I travel for work and everyone I talk to that is from TN is really nice...which backs up the experiences I've had passing through. I'm looking to live 30-45 min from the Knox McGhee airport. Are there any areas I should specifically stay away from? I'm going to be trying to rent a house, preferrably one with a garage to bring the blue jeep down from WV.
Thanks for the help!

hop on craigslist and look for houses for rent, halls fountain city area will be cheaper but west knoxville is the place to be your close to everything and there are some decent houses with garages here for rent. personally i wouldnt want to live anywhere but west knoxville but like i said there a re some nice places outside of west knoxville.

Thanks. I'm looking on craigslist regularly. I found a bunch of houses I like, but don't know about the area. Crappy thing about the job is the lack of time off, and no real notice when I do get time off. Scheduling is a challenge on the best of days.
I was looking at west knox or maryville, for airport access.

Blount County (Maryville) is pretty cheap from what Ive heard. Maybe not in the city, but outside of it. And there are some really pretty areas out there...close to the airport.

Stay away from East Knoxville. East Knox county is fine, but East Knoxville has crime problems.

If you plan on buying a home, buy in the county instead of the city and save yourself some money. Taxes are higher in the city, of course.

All in all, this is a great place to live, and relatively cheap as well.

I'm not looking to buy just yet. I would like to live there and see how things pan out in both my personal and professional life. I already ruled out the east because of the distance from the airport. I fly sometimes 3 times a week so I don't want a horrible commute...and if it's a crime area I'd rather not be there anyway

The West side is closer to Windrock, if that makes a difference.

I mean a Jeep owner has to wheel, right???

That's not a priority really. I work way too much to consider location for wheeling access, but thanks for the input!!! I'm willing to drive a ways to hit the trail anyway

I live about a 3 minutes walk from the airport. If you want to rent a house or would you prefer an apartment?

Another consideration is if you are bring school age children? If not you have a huge set of choices.

PM me if you want to bounce off some ideas on me.

PS. Knoxville is a great airport to fly out of. Enough flights most anytime of the day but not so much air traffic to be a huge problem with security and the related hoops.

Coop

To avoid all the traps and get the best price and still be within 20 minutes of the airport look in Friendsville, Greenback, or anywhere in Blount County west of topside road and interstate I 140 or as the locals know it Pellissippi parkway.

A small house with detached garage can also be found in Alcoa, Maryville area if you prefer living in the city ish.

Coop

To avoid all the traps and get the best price and still be within 20 minutes of the airport look in Friendsville, Greenback, or anywhere in Blount County west of topside road and interstate I 140 or as the locals know it Pellissippi parkway.

A small house with detached garage can also be found in Alcoa, Maryville area if you prefer living in the city ish.

Coop

Friendsville is nice. Kind of secluded. I lived in Powell for a while but that's probably farther from the airport than he wants. Halls/Gibbs is also a good part of Knox county. Whatever you do avoid east Knoxville. He's right, it's not a nice place. I was not fond of the Chapman highway area either. I have a buddy that lives out west near Cedar Bluff. Nice neighborhood, but pricey.

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up getting a place just NE of Knoxville, off Rutlidge Pike. It's a nice house in a quiet area on a tiny street. I'll be moving down next week hopefully. Really looking forward to it!

Back