• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jet Chip vs Hypertech vs Others??

Trey98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
so which one has better gain for the buck im lookin for mileage/power gains but cant find info on the true gains you get from these chips/programmers. can i get some help with this? 1998, intake, TBS, Flowmaster 40 is what i have right now

Don't waste your money on the JET chip. It's useless. The Hypertech at least allows you to correct for bigger tires but don't expect much of a HP gain unless you set it for the 93 octane tune.

Installed a Jet Stage 2 chip in my '98 back in 2000 and several years ago I returned the chip when I thought it wasnt working.
The customer service dept was shocked that I had an early released model. They informed me that the chip was A LOT more agressive now than when first designed.
Other modifications to the Jeep are 180* thermostat, bored TB, Gale Banks header (new design), 2.25" ID exhaust (from header to tail pipe) 2.5" Magnaflow hi flow cat, Dynomax Hemi muffler, MSD 6A ignition and K&N FIPK. Found that the MAP modifiers DO NOT work well with the performance chips unless you are running a stroker....
The recent replacement of the 1st generation Gale Banks header to the 2nd generation was quite a wake up in performance. The tube length and routing has changed for the better.
On a recent trip to Death Valley while driving Escondido to Baker at 70-85 mph I was pleasantly surprised to get 15 mpg with power thru the mountain passes.

Installed a Jet Stage 2 chip in my '98 back in 2000 and several years ago I returned the chip when I thought it wasnt working.
The customer service dept was shocked that I had an early released model. They informed me that the chip was A LOT more agressive now than when first designed.
Other modifications to the Jeep are 180* thermostat, bored TB, Gale Banks header (new design), 2.25" ID exhaust (from header to tail pipe) 2.5" Magnaflow hi flow cat, Dynomax Hemi muffler, MSD 6A ignition and K&N FIPK. Found that the MAP modifiers DO NOT work well with the performance chips unless you are running a stroker....
The recent replacement of the 1st generation Gale Banks header to the 2nd generation was quite a wake up in performance. The tube length and routing has changed for the better.
On a recent trip to Death Valley while driving Escondido to Baker at 70-85 mph I was pleasantly surprised to get 15 mpg with power thru the mountain passes.
so did you get the newer stage 2 chip or did you keep it off?

so did you get the newer stage 2 chip or did you keep it off?

JET replaced the chip with the newer version and I installed it....
There was a difference in vehicle performance; how much is up for debate without doing a before and after on the dyno.
Donot expect alot of difference unless you modify the intake and exhaust systems.

JET replaced the chip with the newer version and I installed it....
There was a difference in vehicle performance; how much is up for debate without doing a before and after on the dyno.
Donot expect alot of difference unless you modify the intake and exhaust systems.
yeah right now i got the rustys intake with a k&n soon to be replaced with a AEM dryflow and i have a poweraid TBS, and runnin a flowmaster 40 series with 2.5in pipe all the way back, so you think ill tell much of a difference?

Just disconnect the battery before installing the chip so the ECM has to learn as you drive with the chip modifications.
Realistically you should notice a difference in performance.

Just disconnect the battery before installing the chip so the ECM has to learn as you drive with the chip modifications.
Realistically you should notice a difference in performance.

Yeah, mine became slower in the midrange (1500-3800rpm) when I added the JET Stage 2chip. I gained a bit of power higher up but not enough to say it was worth it. I removed it 3 years ago when it started acting up, causing the rev limiter to cut in at 4500rpm.

Jet 2 did great on my 94--woke it up real good with full borla, magnaflow cat, k&n fipk, 99+intake, 62mm tb, and 93 octane; half as good on my 96 with the same mods. Hypertech 3 made the 96 ping, didn't raise the revs by 500, didn't raise the governor(learned first hand why some call it Hyperping). I haven't had the Unichip custom tuned for the stroker yet, but it's installed and to the side(too much timing advance for the stroker-I tried). It has the 4.0 w/ full exhaust(header and cat-back) and k&n fipk tune(as if the other intake tunes are any different). I'd be willing to sell it alot cheaper than what you can find it for on ebay--it's the 2720021 for 96-04 obd2 Jeeps with the 4.0. I have a split second psc1-002 that I spent hours tuning and thought was dead when it got wet, but it's fine, so I would reinstall that if I sold the Unichip.

are there any that are custom tuneable? buddy of mine owns a dyno, oews me a favor, and is willing to tune it for me when im done building it. im taking my time doin as much research as i can before i start just ordering parts(which is good, cause i just found ot two of my rods are bent...)

Unichip, Accel DFI, AEM, Split Second, and more are tuneable. Some you can only tune open loop fuel and others you can tune the fuel and timing across the board.

so, what would ya'll rec for high comp stock bore pistons, 4.2 crank and rod stroke, port n polished head n intake, header, and dash/cowel snorkel?
also gonna have high power coil, gold plated cap n rotor, 8.8 wires, and good plugs(but that shouldnt make a huge difference..)

Back