• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep doesn't start / dies

Your problem with the MAP sensor was not at all typical, in fact it was the only one I know of. Very rare

I'm jjust throwing things out there for him to try,just might find his problem.

I can't think of any scenario where the problem would be the starter if it starts and then idles down until it dies.

Sounds as if it could be a fuel supply problem. Did you check per old_man's advice?

the kill switch is the only thing getting it to run... so that can't go. I need to drive it to work.

I am trying to figure out how the NSS is connected to the starting of the jeep. I am going to take my multi-meter and test it in the various positions.

also I plan to check the ignition coil.

any other ideas... let me know

As I recall, the NSS controls the ground leg of the starter relay. It can't cause it to die after it starts. It will cause no cranking when it gets dirty, and usually you'll notice it will crank in neutral but not park.

Have you tried bypassing the ballast resistor yet? Replace the fuel pump relay? Those sound more like the problem to me as it matches the slowly dying after releasing the key (ie running out of gas).

Success... i think.

connected to the ignition coil are 2 plugs. one has multipule wires and the other one yellow wire. if i ground the yellow wire (with a test light) it kills the jeep immediately. after tinkering (not removing the coil) with the plugs, more or less unplugging and plugging them the jeep starts like it should (switch left on, and no weird stuff) every once in a while.

PROBLEM FIXED... I think.

Like ecomoke said forever ago, it seems to have been the NSS. i took it off and cleaned it today and it has fired and stayed running everytime.

Thanks for the help

Back