• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep died and i need someone to help me in san diego

Switch1625

NAXJA Forum User
So i was offroading tonight, and jeep decided to die. I was goin down hill bout 25 mph, about 1 minute away from being outa the place, i loose my steering, i was like wow this isnt good, so i step on the brakes, at about 10 mph i notice my temp gauge, is as far right as it could possibly be,so i slam on the brakes, and i go to turn off the engine, but its already off...

so i take a second to gather my thoughts, and i see white smoke billowing out of the engine, that sucked so i pop the hood fast and see that there is smoke coming out of a wire neer the windshiled washer tank. So i blow on it, becasue blowing on things helps. it goes away, and i see a hugee cloud of smoke coming from my reer end, ran over there crawl under, and there is a hell of a lot of smoke coming from the rear passenger brake. So i was stressin hardcore. Mainly because i didnt have another vehicle with me. Just me and my friend. i know i know.

So i splash some water around the tire sorta, and it created alot of steam, but it smelled like burning electrical.

Go back to the engine, and there is smoke coming from near the battery, i stick my head near battery and its hissing.

I then called my brother, he came with tow truck, 4 hours later im home. Overall, it was a fun day, with a bad ending.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION

Anyone wanna diagnose my problem and have some bbq?

Thanks for reading. Will have some pics of the day in a few

Pics if anyone wants
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f...died/?sc=1&multi=19&addtype=local&media=image

Last edited:
Dude, as I told you, this is nothing something you can diagnose over the internet, or over the phone. The fact that you dont have a clue as to what happened makes it even worse. I find it hard to believe that you shorted the engine and smoked a brake at the same time, something doesnt add up.

Also, like I told you before, DISCONNECT THE GODDAMN BATTERY! You sat there for like an hour listening to it hiss. And water......on an electrical fire....absolutely brilliant. Lets not only NOT put the fire out, but lets help it spread by further shorting things out. If something metal is smoking hot, its probably not a good idea to pour cold water on it and and crack it from expansion/contraction

Christ on a Bicycle man, this is why I told you to stop jimmy-riggin your Jeep. Either do the job right or keep the hood shut. I told you from the beginning something like this was going to happen.

Apparently it took proof for you to believe me.

Switch1625 said:
So i splash some water around the tire sorta, and it created alot of steam, but it smelled like burning electrical.
Electrical burning around the tire? Hmmm How about pictures of the damage?

I don't know....sometimes its easy to diagnose problems over the phone/internet.
Its electrical, not brakes. You shorted a wire (large gauge wire probably) and smoked it! Find what melted under the hood. Look closely, is it shorted to the frame? Probably. Replace the entire wire. Check fuses (although you probably didn't blow a fuse [hence the smoked wire])
Now check for 'other' damage. Look around your brake lines etc. Look for damaged wire. Do you have tail lights? Check them all.
In your fuse block there is a small blade fuse (you have a 97 don't you?) that is marked 'automatic engine shut down' or something like that. Check it, that one might be torched.
This is just to get you going...like your friend said...don't jimmmy rig your work...look closely....follow the clues....(I still think that the bastard killed him in the library with a pipe wrench!)
Rick R

Looks fine to me. The brake line in the one at the top and the lower one is the e-brake cable. But since you have a little lift if your rear shocks are too long and you didn't add longer e-brake cables you could have a problem where you flex out and it is pulling the e-brake as you drive.

Looks like a 90 XJ with a 231 t-case, D30 disco front and a D35 rear axle.

Its not uncommon to have a short in the wiring harness behind the right or left headlamp which will burn up the fusible link (needs to be replaced with the same size, its a special section of wire that burns up [smoke] to prevent a fire or more harness damage) near the battery. Sounds like your short is behind the left headlamp/park turn lamp, seen it a few times before. It usually gets cut where the harness comes from the left fender area to the front before is crosses over to the other side. You should be able to repair the wiring, add some additional covering (convoluted wire stuff or rubber hose with zip ties) to prevent further problems, and then replace the fusible link (should be cut out and a new one soldered in).

If you are going to do this make damn sure you replace the fusible link with the same size/color otherwise if you end up with a short again you might be roasting weenies over your Jeep.

Last edited:
so does anyone else NOT see anything wrong with the brake drum? my bet is he just overheated it, or blew the little piston thing inside it.

heres what is still puzzling me though, Eric says he heard his battery hissing. this should not be possile since he has an Optima Red Top. unless he punched a hole in it.

And for the love of god buy a damn fire extinguisher.

His Jeep was struck by lightening, and it managed to arc down from the wheel to the ground thus completing the circuit and frying everything.

Yeah this actualy sounds possible, since htey were calling for thunderstorms. Im going to get more pictures tonight after dinner. Gonna be workin on the jeep instead of offroading with pops

I figured it out....
nateharrisonsucked027Small.jpg

ha ..kinda trollish sounding

haha, i usualy surf around naxja and gather all the information, use the search and all that, because i dont have anything helpful to post usualy. Still learning everything.

Anyways, my jeep starts. We took out my optima, aparantly it loged up against the front of the jeep where the radiator is, looks like it melted and that killed it. Ill have pics up tomorow of the front of the optima burnt and melted. Hopefully offroad warehouse will exchange it for a new one for me. We tested the optima it is completly dead, nothing left. We took an old battery we had wich was just about dead, and pluged it in, lights came on dimly, we jump started it and it fired up. It runs, brakes work, but im wondering about the scorching of the brakes. Could it have anything to do with using my brakes with my battery dead?

I dont know, all i know is im glad my jeep works. Gonna replace the battery tomorow, and probably battery cables too.

so you didnt tether your optima and it moved and shorted out, melted, and vented a hot acid mix. that would explain the white smoke

Back