• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee vs. Chevy Silverado

rockcrawler873

NAXJA Forum User
Im currently lookin at purchasing either another jeep cherokee or a chevy silverado extended cab
if i get a jeep ill lift it 8" w/ 35s
if i get a chevy ill do a 6" suspension and a 3" body w/ 37s
Either way im goin to do one or the other my question is this
which would be better i hear the best of both but... with this being a cherokee forum i would like to hear how a jeep would be better than the jeep or how it could be worse same goes dor the truck if i could just hear everyones opnions about both i would greatly appriciate it thanx!!!!
---Chris

The two vehicles are just so totally different to begin with, it really depends on how/what you intend to use the vehicle. Tell us that and I think you'll get some good feedback.

well for sure the Jeep for longevity.

define off road to you.

I built my xj while going through college, maybe its why I havnt finished yet. ie: too many projects related which were more fun than class. If you have parking issues in a city like I did at college, then go for a jeep. Smaller and more agile on the tough trails, and in the city too its nice for tight alleys and parallel parking is so easy.

Can't do much real wheelin' on trails with a big honkin' LWB pickup. On the other hand, I guess it would look ok in the parking lot. Oh yeah...the XJ will probably still be running long after Chevy is sitting in the local pick-ur-part yard.

Longevity, you're good on either, wheeling in tight technical trails might ause some "accidental" mods to your sheetmetal on the truck. I've seen trucks goin through some trails out here and they do good, but I like the dimensions of my XJ. Being in college you'll probably move on occasion or have friends who'll be moving, so you can move your stuff easier and get free beer for helping friends move with the truck. Either way, gas sucks. On the XJ, you might consider doing a 5-6" with some sawzall work on the fenders.

Wait a minute....you come to a Cherokee website and ask Cherokee owners what their opinion is concerning whether you buy one or a pickup???

Boy I wonder what the answer will be.

My buddy has the GM 2500 diesel, basically a beefy silverado, lifted 6 inches with 37 inch toyos and a 99 XJ 8 clayton LA and 35 claws... if he even attempts to go offroad with the truck he snaps tierods... if you wanna go offroad go with the XJ or buy both and use the truck as a tow rig. By the way he is wvredxj on here... ask him

My problem with the full size trucks is there just so friggin big. For the open highway or farm land they work very well. In tight quarters I don't care for them.

Have you even looked at how much it costs to lift a silverado. it is very involved and what year chevy were you looking at if its newer with IFS good luck thats why i love my Xj and if your on a budget like most college guys you' be better off lifting a jeep

Everyone thanx 4 the advise so far to answer a few ?s Yes ive looked at the prices on lifting a chevy but... if i did all the stuff i want to a jeep its goin to be the same expence in the end almost .
i currently own a cherokee but its a 2.8L 86' and i LOVE it BUT its a 2.8 i would love to somehow convert it and lift it and then buy a truck for a tow rig like sumone suggested.
If i were to convert to a 4.0L i know i owuld have to get a new engine and transmission along with EVERYTHING else lol and ive looked around but.. im not having any luck. Does anyone know how much i would be lookin at spendin to make my jeep a 4.0L !!!!! This would help tremandously!!!

depending on how much you want to spend on your new xj 2-3k for a decent one. it's just not worth the hassle to swap to a 4.0 unless you get a free motor or some cool deal on stuff. you could sell you xj and buy a new one and save youself money and time and prob find a nicer xj.

as far as which vehicle is better it's a no brainer the xj:loveu:.
when you up to 37's both vehicles will have to undergo extensive modifications making them nearly impossible to compair.

what about miles on the jeep bc i would be buyin a jeep for offroad and the truck for a DD but i will still lift the truck but when lookin at a cherokee what year should i look for and what kinda mileage!?!?!

I had an 01 3/4 Cevy silverado w/the 6.0L before my 99 XJ. Comparing the 2 is apples to oranges. That being said the truck got 13 mpg w/a full tank on the highway and the XJ gets 16-17 mixed city. The silverado was far more comfortable ride and far more quiet road manners.

I dont feel as bad scratching the XJ. And the gas mileage alone pays its self off.

But most of all I like not having a $400 a month payment. Oh yea I got my XJ for $5500 w/86,000 mi. But I do miss the plush ride and the quietness.

Check out the thread for highest miles on stock XJ. And stay away from late 99' on ( far more complicated exhaust) abs, and cracking head probs.

Last edited:
Alot it is depends on your budget, the XJ's are priced very well, 2000's going for $6-7K around here. Your area I bet there are alot of 2wd XJ's so 4wd XJ's might be at a premium. Cost on alot of add ons varies, lift kits are resonable, some of the armour gets a bit pricey but the XJ is a classic, seems no matter how old they get they never go out of style, the full sized cherokees were like that too, year after year, classic iron.

i understand^^. I love how the XJ is like really sporty like with a rack lights winch it just looks SPORTY but.. i just say a lifted chevy yesterday and i was like DANGG bc they just look soooo big and its like in your face ( if that makes n e sence) but... im still confused w/ what to do. I want both but.. i dont think that is going to be possible. So right now im deciding which would be the best bc ill be in college i want to carry ppl. i want to carry my dirtbike and other objects. And i would still like to go muddin ( im not goin to be doin n e rockcrawlin n e time soon )

Back