• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee causes train derailment

Last of the XJ said:
CNN said that the guy is gonna get the death penalty. Talk about having bad press with Jeep in the last day. It really sucks people died. Insane people shouldn't be allowed to drive or work. :mad:
CNN is talking through their collective hat. The guy hs been charged with murder, but that's a long way from a conviction, let alone a death sentence. If his intention was to commit suicide and he chickened out at the last moment, I think they'll have a difficult time making a murder charge stick. Murder implies intent, and I don't see that as being present in this case.

JMHO.

Eagle said:
CNN is talking through their collective hat. The guy hs been charged with murder, but that's a long way from a conviction, let alone a death sentence. If his intention was to commit suicide and he chickened out at the last moment, I think they'll have a difficult time making a murder charge stick. Murder implies intent, and I don't see that as being present in this case.

JMHO.

But wouldnt it be the same situation as someone charged in murder in a DUI?. . .theres no intent on killing someone especially those in your own vehicle. . so, Im thinking it would be a situation like that. . something like reckless homicide.

It'll probably be manslaughter or negligent homicide or something like that. They both stipulate that the person didn't necessarily intend to kill anyone but people have died as the result of his actions.

Eagle said:
Dang. The articles I saw said "SUV" but I didn't know it was a Cherokee.

Doesn't matter what brand of SUV it was, the guy is a total whack job and needs to be severely punished.

Not only that...he was arrested for Possesion of a Controled Substance, and burglary...Just another fine person making his way through life ripping people off to buy crack...

BlackSport96 said:
was it a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee. TRNDRVR's link says Grand Cherokee, FoxNews says Cherokee. Is this a case of people confusing them for each other? Rancho onfuses them even...
Jeep even advertises them that way - in the past two years or so I've seen a number of print and TV ads for "02 (or 03, 04) Cherokees" when they are really referring to the WJ Grand Cherokee...

Last edited:
JohnJohn said:
Wanna bet this turns into a "Ever seen anyone break a D30?" thread. :wave:

Or even worst... it wasn't "rail rated"....

I know... that was bad.... :gag:

Insane people shouldn't be allowed to drive or work. :mad:[/QUOTE said:
:rolleyes:
I guess I better park my Jeeps, quit my profession, turn in my shootin irons, and sign up for disability... better yet, move out west, and get me one of those :greensmok prescriptions.

woody said:
I guess I better park my Jeeps, quit my profession, turn in my shootin irons, and sign up for disability... better yet, move out west, and get me one of those :greensmok prescriptions.

The NWC in Oregon can assist you in your :greensmok: Prescription.
I hear you can come by them pretty easy.

Why can't suicidal people just get it over with and blow their heads off, take pills, or something that doesn’t endanger others. If you’re gonna kill yourself, do it alone, and at least have the balls to see it through. Sorry if I sound callous, but my father was in an accident and could have been killed by a woman who committed suicide by aiming her vehicle at his.

Copperhead

i take the commuter train once in awhile and always wonder about the safety because tracks are at road level and theres a crossing about every mile...
the train has hit alot of cars in the past years, but never derailed...so i doubt it was just the truck that derailed the train, but other factors contributing to the mishap. however, the suicidal maniac should be charged with murder in the same way a drunk driver does.
i saw the train hit a grocery cart once and it was over for the cart in about one second...pieces of it everywhere.

getting medical maryjane is not as easy as it seems to the rest of the country, but with doctors who want to make a quick buck it is becoming more common. before you go out and get your Rx you might want to do a little research because the med maryjane goes into your medical file forever! and your health company may deny benefits because even though states are legalizing, it is still illegal at the fed level...so think about it...weed or health coverage?
then again what people do in their own home is their own business.
personally i dont think mind expansion is for me, but i also dont think it should be a crime.

biscuitboy87 said:
i take the commuter train once in awhile and always wonder about the safety ...

What, take the fun out of doing 60 with no seatbelts?
That would just leave us with school buses...

--ron

Murder with special circumstances ... and possibly the death penalty.

Some legal analyst claims there's a law on the books here in California that specifically covers causing injury or death via use of train derailments---allows the use of special circumstances.

I think it's a stretch ... BUT

They're also claiming there may be a potential problem prosecuting this case because law enforcement (probably that idiot Baca) publically called the man a "deranged individual" while being interviewed on camera ... which leaves the prosecutor in a quandary.

We'll see where this goes ... if he had drugs in his system that may change the strategy.

I think I'm due for jury service ...

BlackSport96 said:
It'll probably be manslaughter or negligent homicide or something like that. They both stipulate that the person didn't necessarily intend to kill anyone but people have died as the result of his actions.

bchulett said:
Murder with special circumstances ... and possibly the death penalty.

Some legal analyst claims there's a law on the books here in California that specifically covers causing injury or death via use of train derailments---allows the use of special circumstances.

I think it's a stretch ... BUT

They're also claiming there may be a potential problem prosecuting this case because law enforcement (probably that idiot Baca) publically called the man a "deranged individual" while being interviewed on camera ... which leaves the prosecutor in a quandary.

We'll see where this goes ... if he had drugs in his system that may change the strategy.

I think I'm due for jury service ...
Murder charges for suspect in train crash

(The Associated Press circulated the following story by Robert Jablon on January 27.) Link to complete story

"Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley said prosecutors filed charges late Wednesday for 10 counts of murder with "special circumstances" of committing murder through a train derailment. Cooley stressed however that the case were still being evaulated. Under state law, special circumstances allegations could make a defendant eligible for the death penalty".

I'm sure there are lots a CA. laws that were broken, but when you mess with the railroad, it's a FEDERAL offense. I’m curious who's going to pursue it, the state or the feds?

Captain Ron said:
What, take the fun out of doing 60 with no seatbelts?
That would just leave us with school buses...

--ron

and bass boats

Back