• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Japanese Transmission

Peter D

NAXJA Forum User
Evidently, according to a mechanic at a local garage, I have a Japanese transmission. Mine is a stock automatic in a stock '00, 4dr. Anybody else ever hear of this?

oh you have japanese transmission. Make you super special. Oh wait it is a cherokee

Why yes it is. thank you jesus for the wonderful tranny

The Aisin-Warner AW4 four-speed auto (1987-2001) is a Toyota design.

The Aisin AX-15 (Aisin Seiki) five-speed, the AX-4 and AX-5 (Aisin Seiki again, four- or five-speed) are also Japanese transmissions, and probably Toyota designs. The AX-15 was behind the 242ci six from mid-1988 to 2000 (replaced by the NV3550, made in New Joysey,) and the AX-4/-5 was behind the four-cylinder AMC engine for a while (I don't recall years.) The AX-15 replaced the Peugeot BA-10/5 - which was a very positive step! (I've only been through four BA-10's...)

In all cases with the Aisin, you could do worse. You can do better than the AW4, but you'd lose the overdrive (I'm thinking THM350/400 or Powerglide, or the ChryCo A727...)

Blaine B. said:
AW4 was still used in the XJ in 2000 and 2001 right?

Yes, 87-01. The only difference is the spline count on the output shaft. The earlier years were 21 spline and the later years are 23 spline. If you keep the AW4 cool and keep the maintanance up on it it very well could last forever! Its a great tranny. A toyota guy was telling me that this is the tranny that was speced in the automatic equiped twin turbo Supra's and that they can handle some impressive horsepower/torque numbers.

Blaine B. said:
AW4 was still used in the XJ in 2000 and 2001 right?

yes

As an interesting trivia note, the TH400 was the second auto trans ever offered in a jeep. Anyone care to guess on the first?

T3hk1w1 said:
As an interesting trivia note, the TH400 was the second auto trans ever offered in a jeep. Anyone care to guess on the first?

Yargh. The Hell of it is - I should know this one! With the next book I'm working on...

"Powerglide" wants to ring a bell, but I know that's wrong.

kstutz said:
what about puting a95 in a89 ??????????????????????

You're talking about replacing an 89 AW4 with a 95 AW4? It should bolt right up, but the output shaft will have a different spline count and not mate up with the 89 transfer case. So you'd want to grab the 95 xfer case as well. Why are you looking to swap?

Come on Charlie give us the answer. 3 hours is too long to wait, especially since Jon doesn't know and he is the Guru.

Back