• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's legal to confiscate firearms from people with CCW's?

By all accounts, the Officer observed a gun under the fellows shirt and escalated the situation to a red zone incident.

Having another weapon in a situation automatically, IMO, makes it a red zone incident.

I'm not a cop, but I've enforced my different rules in many jacked up countries around the world. If there is another weapon involved, besides my weapon, you start with an extremely elevated threat level and then lower it as the situation progresses.

Having another weapon in a situation automatically, IMO, makes it a red zone incident.

I'm not a cop, but I've enforced my different rules in many jacked up countries around the world. If there is another weapon involved, besides my weapon, you start with an extremely elevated threat level and then lower it as the situation progresses.

That's odd. I encounter other weapons almost daily and don't escalate to red zone. I see Cops carrying, don't escalate a bit, spot other CCers and only make note that they are carrying. Someone's behavior is what causes me to escalate, not whether or not they have a weapon, unless they are behaving in a concerning manner AND have a weapon, then it is straight to red zone.

That's odd. I encounter other weapons almost daily and don't escalate to red zone. I see Cops carrying, don't escalate a bit, spot other CCers and only make note that they are carrying. Someone's behavior is what causes me to escalate, not whether or not they have a weapon, unless they are behaving in a concerning manner AND have a weapon, then it is straight to red zone.
100% agree

Suspect? Engagement? Bad Guy? Killing Spree? WTF!!!?

Nowhere in the story is there any mention of criminal intent on the part of the Lawyer. He was not brandishing a weapon, had not removed it from it's holster, and was not a "Suspect" in any crime.

By all accounts, the Officer observed a gun under the fellows shirt and escalated the situation to a red zone incident. The last time I checked, Citizens in this country have rights. It was the Officers job to protect those rights, and not infringe on them.

What makes the "Good Guys" different from the "Bad Guys" are those rules which you would so lightly toss away in the name of "Officer Safety".

Ron

My quote to which you responded was in reference to police training in general, not the article specifically.

A couple of key things here from the small, one sided glimpse of the situation:

-The gun WAS NOT CONCEALED!!!!!! If an officer saw it, IT WAS NOT CONCEALED. Are people permitted to open carry in MA?

-It was a HIGH CRIME AREA.

-There is no mention of a holster. How a person carries a gun is a large factor in how the situation should be handled. Statics back that up.

Last edited:

The big difference is location. I am assuming that Colorado is fairly gun friendly, where mass is a fairly communist anti-gun area for the most part. The cops look for reasons to take your guns. This guy presented one by allowing it to be seen, and the cop took it. Is it right, hell no, but its what happens in the area. You need to know the rules and attitude of the area if you are going to carry in that area.

The Lawyer, I am assuming well dressed, in a bad neighborhood already stuck out, drawing the cops attention, who then saw the gun. Without knowing he was a lawyer, what would your first instinct be?

The Lawyer, I am assuming well dressed, in a bad neighborhood already stuck out, drawing the cops attention, who then saw the gun. Without knowing he was a lawyer, what would your first instinct be?
Pimp!:sunshine:

Yup :D, we need to hold a special licence for owning a paintball marker, (i play indoor speed ball). The markers are classed as a .68 calliber air rifle in australia :(. Just shows how full on our laws are.
Oh if you think our gun laws are pretty tuff down under, you should hear some of the laws about vehicle modification in QLD !, the highest your allowed to lift the suspension on your vehicle is 2 inch ! and tire size may be increased by half an inch in diameter, lol but that doesnt stop the majority of us ;).
Kinda like that, look at England and see how many criminals their tough gun laws have stopped from owning guns ;)

Good point, I guess I look at it from a different point of view. Different enviroments bring different courses of action.

Kinda like that, look at England and see how many criminals their tough gun laws have stopped from owning guns ;)

That quote of mine was in refrence to Queensland vehicle modifications.
Not the avaliability of guns or people obtaining them illegialy in Australia.

^But the sentiment ('lol but that doesnt stop the majority of us') is the same. Illegally lifted jeeps, illegally owned firearms; both knowingly and intentionally illegal acts. In either case, you don't care that you're breaking the law, and there are so many of you doing it that the authorities are basically powerless to stop you.

Remember your rights!

2a. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms that the government approves of in a manner which complies with government regulations, shall not be infringed Until the government says so.

Has the NRA said anything in this case yet? Or has the NRA just plain given up on Massachusetts? I thought I read something to that effect a while ago.

Has the NRA said anything in this case yet? Or has the NRA just plain given up on Massachusetts? I thought I read something to that effect a while ago.
I usually keep track of most of new england on the nra website, and I never saw anything about it, so it sounds like the cop was probably in the right.

Or the NRA gave up on mass, that's a good possibility. it seems to be a lost cause.

I am a former Military Police officer (Army). A former reserve Sheriff deputy. And my wife is a crime analyst for a large police department. Needless to say we are very Pro law enforcement. That being said, I am seeing more and more cops thinking that there are to types of people. Cops and Perps.

I am not going to say who I think is wrong, because there are 3 sides to every story. The cops, the lawyers and the truth.

If the state this happened in does not have a way to instantly verify a legal CCW the lawyer needs to spend all of his free time getting it changed.

Back