• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is colorado right for me?

There are a lot of good districts here and I'm glad you're in one. However, you're still only talking about approving tax increases for a particular district.

im stationed here and im from clearwater, florida... (although my wife and I met at FSU)

love boulder, the rest of CO is "ehh"... im young and not conservative (i wont say that im totally liberal either), i get along just fine with the kids in boulder.

The mountains are beautiful, if it were up to me (and i had to live in CO), I would live in Silverthorne or one of the other towns just outside of a ski resort. The problem there is finding a good paying job.

just one thing to think about though, i miss the beach.

mscans said:
does anyone drive 2wd up there? seems like all the cars in the video were 4wd.

This is the land of the subaru. Those damn thing are everywhere.

I drove a 2wd Dakota around thru 9 winters. It's not too bad IF you know what you're doing. Mostly slow down and leave plenty of room in front of you. Sometimes I just had to stay home due to the lack of traction (it's uphill @ some point in every direction to get out of my hood.

If you enjoy the outdoors and think you can deal with the occasional blizzard, then I say come on wit' it.

Frank Z said:
Any district, not just the one I'm in presently.
[/Hijack]

You're missing my point. That's noble but you're still only having a say in the particular district you reside in. The fact is that, overall, Colorado public schools are failing. My opinion is that they are failing due to the fact that not enough money is spent in that area. Certainly there are other problems (specifically, No Child Left Behind) but I'm just talking about one.

IntrepidXJ said:
Thank God! :D

...because if it were, I might have had to move to Utah instead :roll:

Not back to the land of Lincoln? :D

old_man said:
The worst thing about Colorado is all the damn people from Florida and Texas coming here and taking our jobs.....at least the jobs that aren't being sent to China. :conceited

well, if all the people from, well, every state north of here, didn't move here, i wouldn't be interested in moving.

if this state was what it was when i was a kid, i'd stay here.

and anything but china, i agree there. i will never buy another chinese product, i've learned my lesson a few times, you get what you pay for, and nothing good comes from china.

i also visited downtown denver, i loved the transit system there, it was very cool.

and rocky mountain national park, wish i had the jeep with me, my family wasn't too happy with how i was driving the durango we rented.

and we went to this resturant, they served YAK, and i think the YAK is reason enough for the move. best red meat ever, and i dont ever eat red meat.

well the mountains are outstanding that is one place im going to live when i am older nestle down with a family and everything its gonna be awesome

I like the scenery also, and like mscans, I could see myself living there after I got back.

But my Wife couldn't ;) She absolutely hates snow. Fortunately, we don't get that much of it.

There was a song in the 70's, "Please come to Boston". You can look around and find places that you could see yourself living in; I have seen quite a few of those places, but you can't live in all of them. In the end, I decided that "There is no place like home",

For me it was an ecconomic decission not to move. It is cheaper for me to live here, and to visit CO. After all, it's only 16 hours away.

Someone mentioned jobs. Jobs don't seem to be a problem, it's getting hired where you live that is a problem. We have the same problem around here in the smaller communities. Many of those communities are "bedroom communities" to the nearest large city. I work with contractors who regulary travel in 1-2 hours to work each day because you go where the jobs are.

Gun laws here are jacked up. Universal BGC for every time a firearm changes hands, including private sales, no transfers of mags over 15 rds allowed, extra state BGC that costs extra money. Denver County has extra rules, Boulder may too.

Water is limited, there is a water courts system...you can't water horses or domesticated animals with your well water if you have less than 35 acres unless you are grandfathered in.

Some counties require you to get a permit for your dogs.

Emissions is only required in some counties. There's Not even vehicle inspection in others.

sales Taxes are still 7-8%. County and city taxes make up for it.

Gas is expensive, engines have less power (thin air)

Real estate is outrageously expensive, and if it's cheap building on it will be outrageously expensive.

Stuff freezes. If your electricity goes out you'd better have a plan B. When I moved in, the thermostat IN MY LIVING ROOM read 15f.

It is WINDY. Back in Louisiana if winds were over 74mph it had a name, school and work were cancelled, the National Guard was on Alert. Here 100mph winds can wipe out every utility pole between you and town and it's called "Tuesday".

Weather is super finicky. Yesterday it was 60, today it was 70, tonight we may get up to 12" of snow.

Recreational MJ is legal, but employers still test, so, yeah...woohoo.

The air is dry. Women don't age very well here and look like a dried bag of leather by 45, unless they're queen of the high dollar moisturizing club.

The air is thin. Coming from low altitudes can cause headaches, shortness of breath and...gas, every trip.

People from Texas like to come here and drive like they do in Texas. They don't mean anything by it, but after you've been here a while it's like "like, this aggression will not stand, man".

Down in the flatlands if it rains for 3 days it will flood. Water will rise for a while and take a while to go away. Here if it rains heavily for 10 minutes a flash flood Can wash out roads, destroy your home and kill you.

I mentioned it's dry. The other thing dryness aids is fire. Any given summer the whole damn state is a tinderbox.

Any other questions, ask.

It was a good rant, but you left out the part about learning your place in the food chain. :)

Thank God! :D

...because if it were, I might have had to move to Utah instead :roll:

LOL.... I have lived in Utah, Park City to be exact and I enjoyed it. If Colorado gets any worse which it may, I may move back...... Don't get me wrong, I do love Colorado BUT way to many people from other states have taken up residence here trying to change what did't need changing in the first place..... Not to mention taking jobs..... :lecture:

Back