• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ipod charging question

ok, so I realized that I have a small inverter that does not work anymore so I figured I would try it out to see if it works or not, before I stick the whole contraption behind the dash. I think I may have nicked one of the USB wires, or that the headunit does use all 4 wires to "talk" to the IPOD. It plugs in, but does not do anything, it only says "Format Read", if I take out the device and plug the ipod cable directly to my usb port it reads it right then.

Tomorrow when I have more time I will have to double check it to see what is doing what.

Hmmm. You may have to wire the ground wire(s) and/or shield braid from the USB cables and power supplies all together - could be a ground voltage inequality between the head unit and the power supply keeping the voltage levels on the data lines from appearing within spec. I'd start with connecting the black wire in all the connectors together, and connecting it to the center pin of the regulator - if that doesn't work, try connecting the braids up.

My girlfriend just had an Alpine head unit installed into her 'Zuki XL-7. It's got a cable that plugs right in to our iPhones, but, the cable/head unit by itself did not charge our phones. There was a "Tweener Connector", iPhone/iPod cable male on one end, female on the other... plugs in-line between the phone/iPod and the cable from the head unit.

Apparently, this thing tells the device that it's hooked to a computer and it's OK to recharge. I'll try to get the make/model off it tonight, in case this is all you need.

Eric

The usb port won't charge the Ipod.What you want is deck that is Ipod ready with built in cord and it will charge it and control it with read out on the screen.

USB port Plays the Ipod, with all features and functions being displayed on the screen and controlled through the head unit. The deck is Ipod ready. Read first post. Ipod works great as connected.

Oddly enough, it charges now. The last three days that I have been playing with it it has not only not charged it, it has displayed "Charging not supported" across the bottom, under the Pioneer logo that pops up on the screen.

Weird, I pulled it out to update it and we shall see if it still charges when I put it back...

If your deck says Ipod ready you will have to buy the pioneer Ipod adapter,if your deck says Ipod ready than it would have the cord in the box with your head unit.Go to crutchfeild and find out what the part # is than go on the internet youl find it much cheaper.Crutchfeild is list price on everything.

If your deck says Ipod ready you will have to buy the pioneer Ipod adapter,if your deck says Ipod ready than it would have the cord in the box with your head unit.Go to crutchfeild and find out what the part # is than go on the internet youl find it much cheaper.Crutchfeild is list price on everything.

I think you are missing out on the reading comprehension aspect of the situation. The Headunit controls all of the Ipod just fine through the Usb connection. Including calling playlists and shuffling the IPOD. It does it all .

Ipod specific cord is not required to play the ipod. It connects through a USB input. All functions are controlled by the radio. It was not charging, now it is, could have been a bum connection, i dunno yet. It works the same way through an IPOD sync cord, or by being controlled by USB. My wife has the adapter on her alpine. Identical operation. I have bought 3 Ipod ready headunits for 3 vehicles in the last year. Not a one came with the cord for the Ipod.

I could daisy chain 30 USB extensions together and put the Ipod on the end and still control it through the head unit. That extra cord is just a way to get another $30 from you.

Back