• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In need of axle expertise

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 44 in the rear of my '99XJ. It's out of an '87 and has the trac-loc limited slip. I know the clutch packs are toast (jack it up, spin one wheel and the other turns the opposite direction). I would like to install an aussie locker or mini-spool. I know I will have to get an open carrier, but my question is will I have to have the gears re-setup since I will have to pull the ring gear and put it on a different carrier? Or can I just put the aussie or mini-spool in the open carrier, install the old ring gear from the LSD carrier, and then re-install the new carrier with the shims from the old one? Thanks for the help guys!

I have a dana 44 in the rear of my '99XJ. It's out of an '87 and has the trac-loc limited slip. I know the clutch packs are toast (jack it up, spin one wheel and the other turns the opposite direction). I would like to install an aussie locker or mini-spool. I know I will have to get an open carrier, but my question is will I have to have the gears re-setup since I will have to pull the ring gear and put it on a different carrier? Or can I just put the aussie or mini-spool in the open carrier, install the old ring gear from the LSD carrier, and then re-install the new carrier with the shims from the old one? Thanks for the help guys!

Given manufacturing tolerances and suchlike, I would at least verify proper setup when switching carriers but retaining gears. You can probably get the gears set back up with only a little work, but honor the First Commandment and keep it Wholly - "Thou Shalt Never Assume."

Ring & pinion sets are one place where a thousandth of an inch damned sure does matter!

You will have to get your gears reset. The point of the shims is to aline the ring gear and pinnion, but since every Carrier and housing are just slightly diffrent, Shims are required to make up the diffrence. so in all any change of the carrier requiers you to reset your gears.

Hope this helps
Andy

X2 - measure all the stuff you need to know and get an idea of what the initial gear pattern is, then do the swap, then set for the same backlash/pattern/all that good stuff. Since the rotational axis should be the same on both, I don't think you'll need to reset the pinion depth or do anything to it, but I could be wrong. If he's around, jeeperjohn will know the answer definitively, he's really good with gears.

More than likely the pinion depth will be O.K. but you will most likely have to set the backlash. Get some new carrier bearings and grind out the the inside diameter of the old ones till they will slide on the carrier with little effort. . Use these to set the backlash then use the same shim stackup from the old one as a starting point. When you get the right shim stackup install the new bearings.

Most likely you will have to re-set the back lash. Use your old shim thickness as a starting point. The setup bearings will go a long way in making your life easier. Get your backlash set up with where it's not TOO much of a challenge to remove/install the carrier. After you get it right .... add another .003-.005 to each side when you press on the new bearings for the final time. You'll def have a fight puting it back in --- but then you know your carrier preload is good.

Do not reuse the old ring gear bolts. New ones are like 75 cents each from the gear places (randys, national, etc).

You won't have to touch your pinion ... so leave it alone.

Joe

Are you sure its a Posi because the clutches would basically have to be "gone" to not pick up the opposite wheel when turnging by hand!

Back