• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Self employed here. All ya ya'lls talks are funny.

Repoing cars at the holidays is fun. You know you didn't make your payments and now you have no car. Grow up, get a job and stop living outside your means.

Self employed here. All ya ya'lls talks are funny.

Repoing cars at the holidays is fun. You know you didn't make your payments and now you have no car. Grow up, get a job and stop living outside your means.

You ever get good stuff in the cars you repo? I always thought it would be a fun side gig to repo stuff. I went out a few times in my younger days with a buddy that was a bail bondsman, we had to run down a few jumpers. It was fun, but he was about 6'8" and 300# of run away train all bundled up in one package..I was 6'2" and 185....bean pole in my younger days :D

Cheese "I want to help steal your cars back" Man

I think he meant he forgot to ask what his raise was.....

No, I forgot to ask if raises was happening this year. In years past it was a given. With the merger, they don't even know exactly what time off policies (sick days, personal days, etc) will be next year yet.

You ever get good stuff in the cars you repo? I always thought it would be a fun side gig to repo stuff. I went out a few times in my younger days with a buddy that was a bail bondsman, we had to run down a few jumpers. It was fun, but he was about 6'8" and 300# of run away train all bundled up in one package..I was 6'2" and 185....bean pole in my younger days :D

Cheese "I want to help steal your cars back" Man

I haven't had buy a lighter in almost 10 years. Mostly just change, trash, crap tools, and phone chargers. I've found some interesting stuff in the past ranging from photos and letters to drugs and petrified McD's burgers. The real sad part is how many ppl do Not come and get their stuff back, I have thrown out so many kids seats/cloths/toys/photos it makes you wonder if the kid is even loved.

We hire a company to do our repos now, so thankfully I don't have to chase down cars all night then work all day anymore, but it can be a fun rush to steal a car legally.

I don't understand people who work for a wage and then get mad because the Christmas party sucks. You work, you get paid.

I am not mad. I think what they do here is a joke. I would rather have nothing. this place talks about how family oriented they are. "a small family owned and operated business that has lasted 80some years. people never get fired from this place even with stupid huge screw ups. no one ever quits. we are such a large great group of people. we love and appreciate everyone here." my ass. its almost insulting the "party" they throw here. it once was a big party at a nice restaurant. drinks, good food, not DURING work, fun times outside of work with people you spend more time with than your wife. but now it is some dumb pizza party in the showroom. 1 hour of lunch with the only real differnece than any other day being that the owner is sitting up front talking about how great we all are.

i understood several years ago when the country started swirling. but since then our company has rebuilt. we are one of the best in Chicago land, and win an award with Ford Credit every signal year. and we are thanked with and wished a merry Christmas with pizza in the showroom during our lunch break....and its mandatory.

like i said, joke.

We get about a 1% raise each year. The raise and the subsuqent taxes with that raise just about cancel each other out. That being said we do get a healthy bonus around Thanksgiving, but thats about the only decent perk.

They do a catered Thanksgiving meal from cracker barrel every year and we get two days off for Thanksgiving. Nothing for a Christmas party and only have Christmas day off. Have to work a full day Christmas eve. I usually wind up burning a vacation day so I can be with my family.

i would even be fine with a raise that looked ok on paper but didn't do that much overall. why? because every year stuff cost more. yet every year i get paid the same as last. as a matter of fact when i started here 15 years ago insurance cost me 7 dollars. they have been raising the price on us slowly claiming it cost them to much every year. i now pay 140 a week in heath insurance.

i made more at 17 here than i do at 30.

all these people asking to change min wage, imo we should focus on company's having to give cost of living raises yearly.

do i sound hostile? maybe. do i sound like im fed up with this place? maybe.

wonder why im in school for something else after 15 years here?

/rant

:D

When I started 10 years ago...yes, 10 years ago in January I started the academy, we were one of the top 10 paid departments in the country based on wages and cost of living.

Now we rank 30th in the State of Indiana and not even in the top 100 in the country.

mac 'city claims no money, but they have a mil to put into a splash pad' gyvr

If Sam sounds a little upset its justified. neither of us has had a raise in the last 4 years and we are the best parts guys here. and I'm not just saying that because we're ****ing awesome. Sam holds 30% of the profits and I am pulling 31% out of 5 people we shouldn't have to ask for our raises. that said its our own damn fault were still putting up with it, I've been checking careerbuilder type sites about twice a week for the last couple months and bitched out on putting my name in on 2 jobs so far because i am too comfortable here.

Actually what has been pissing me off the most lately Isn't even money. this place is a starting to go down hill. we lost some very good tech's and they got replaced with guys that are quoting brake jobs with out even pulling tires, ordering parts with out the customers okaying the work, braking shit and telling the customer it was previously broken, and just looking at the customers description of the problem goggling it and fixing the common problem. the service manager knows all of this and he does absolutely nothing to fix it. there was a time when i would tell people they should bring there vehicles here now i don't even want to put my wife's car in for warranty work.

I want raises based on merit and i dont care about christmas parties. I work then i get paid, i would rather be home with my family than have to see the people i work with without getting paid to be there ;)

we need more talk of top shelf blow and hookers....

Cheese "back on track" Man

I have a good paying truck driving job. In home every day and only work 3-4 days a week. Okay benefits, awesome Christmas parties and great year end bonus

Fore 'I even get to smash cars' Wheeler

Actually what has been pissing me off the most lately Isn't even money. this place is a starting to go down hill. we lost some very good tech's and they got replaced with guys that are quoting brake jobs with out even pulling tires, ordering parts with out the customers okaying the work, braking shit and telling the customer it was previously broken, and just looking at the customers description of the problem goggling it and fixing the common problem. the service manager knows all of this and he does absolutely nothing to fix it. there was a time when i would tell people they should bring there vehicles here now i don't even want to put my wife's car in for warranty work.
I hear Ya and your brother too. That sounds just like the dealership I just quit from. Was run by the same man who started it in 1970's. Just sold 2 years ago to a large Auto Group. There's something that happens when you go from an owner who is walking around the facility all day everyday and sees how hard you are working, to a company that the boss is sitting miles and miles away just looking at a computer screen reading numbers not seeing how things actually run. I could see it going nowhere. "Treat the customers right" they say, "give them a reason to come back". Then they get rid of the best service adviser we had who was the only reason 1/2 of our repeat customers came back. And they wonder why service numbers started to decline. Management thought it was us Techs not upselling work or doing a good enough job. Our service department of the car brand was rated in the top 5 in the district of I believe 10+states. I had enough of the B.S. and got outta there. Here's some numbers to show how bad people wanted to get away from the company that took over. Only 5 out of 30 employees remain working at the dealership from 2 years ago. All the rest are new hires. Now I'm looking to start something different. Still on the hunt for a gig with any of the many Railroads local here or even out of state.

daddy peanut day at home...glad busy season is over. our baby sitter is having her baby on monday so we are without a sitter for about a month. i should be home for most of the month so we should get plenty of these. i have so much to do though...and its dang near impossible while watching the baby. oh well, she will only be a baby once, so it doesn't bother me at all

DSCN0316.jpg

I hear Ya and your brother too. That sounds just like the dealership I just quit from. Was run by the same man who started it in 1970's. Just sold 2 years ago to a large Auto Group. There's something that happens when you go from an owner who is walking around the facility all day everyday and sees how hard you are working, to a company that the boss is sitting miles and miles away just looking at a computer screen reading numbers not seeing how things actually run. I could see it going nowhere. "Treat the customers right" they say, "give them a reason to come back". Then they get rid of the best service adviser we had who was the only reason 1/2 of our repeat customers came back. And they wonder why service numbers started to decline. Management thought it was us Techs not upselling work or doing a good enough job. Our service department of the car brand was rated in the top 5 in the district of I believe 10+states. I had enough of the B.S. and got outta there. Here's some numbers to show how bad people wanted to get away from the company that took over. Only 5 out of 30 employees remain working at the dealership from 2 years ago. All the rest are new hires. Now I'm looking to start something different. Still on the hunt for a gig with any of the many Railroads local here or even out of state.

Seems like Norfolk and Southern here in Fort Wayne is always hiring...tho they have spots all over.

I have three buddies that work for them.

One is an engineer, one is a car man, and one is a signal guy.

mac 'hang out with as many railroad guys as I do guys I work with' gyvr

If Sam sounds a little upset its justified. neither of us has had a raise in the last 4 years and we are the best parts guys here. and I'm not just saying that because we're ****ing awesome. Sam holds 30% of the profits and I am pulling 31% out of 5 people we shouldn't have to ask for our raises. that said its our own damn fault were still putting up with it, I've been checking careerbuilder type sites about twice a week for the last couple months and bitched out on putting my name in on 2 jobs so far because i am too comfortable here.

Although true, saying the last raise was 4 years ago is giving it to much credit.

employed here 15 years, 3 promotions, and just 5 raises.

Back