• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Re: Re: Important

so...i apologize for the lengthy post in advance (i'm trying to cut down ;)

i have about 75% of the parts collected to start building the xj, but now that i have been dding it for a few weeks, i'm sort of remembering how small they are. its the main reason i took the back seat out of mine. the carseat actually fits just fine (rear facing) and i know the comfort goes up exponentially after a seat swap, but every time i get in the wj i feel like i am driving a cadillac...the overall ride, legroom and comfort factor is a lot higher. the purpose of me building another jeep is to have a vehicle that will stand up to long trips, but will still be great for off road for hunting, fishing and camping adventures. i would like to make it out to colorado and moab, but for the most part i really am not a wheeler...i will hopefully make it to a few naxja events in the next few years..the crawl, winterfest and nac fest...but that won't be the jeeps primary purpose. that and i could also easily make a few small upgrades to the mj and it would be plenty useful in places like those for the amount of fun i want to have...

so my dilemma is what is keeping me from building the wj over the xj? right now i cant start working on the wj since the wife is dding it, but we will be buying a car for her soon. don't get me wrong i love xj's and the simplicity and familiarity is what is pulling me in that direction, but the wj is a nice platform with solid axles, it has more room (but it is fairly long). i know its heavier...i know the tranny's aren't as good and its more expensive to lift but they are very readily available now and mine is virtually rust free...and i still have less than $1000 invested in it. on top of that the unibodies are also stiffer, i have a spare engine and tranny...the wheels and tires interchange with a lot of other jeeps and they have coils all around already.

for now...i'm going to keep collecting xj parts...i know i have a few months to make up my mind, but if anyone has any opinions on the matter, i would be curious to hear them.
You need to apologize twice.

does anyone know where I can find a misalignment spacer with a recessed bolt like this for a 3/4" bore down to a 1/2" bolt?

CAM-310020-9-345x345.jpg

I need to figure out what I am doing for lodging for it. I am either borrowing a pop up camper and getting some heaters or getting a hotel somewhere.

Wk parts line at HD off road?

mac 'not sure I could go without a wheeler' gyvr
That's so sweet of you thinking of me. :kissyou:
so...i apologize for the lengthy post in advance (i'm trying to cut down ;)

i have about 75% of the parts collected to start building the xj, but now that i have been dding it for a few weeks, i'm sort of remembering how small they are. its the main reason i took the back seat out of mine. the carseat actually fits just fine (rear facing) and i know the comfort goes up exponentially after a seat swap, but every time i get in the wj i feel like i am driving a cadillac...the overall ride, legroom and comfort factor is a lot higher. the purpose of me building another jeep is to have a vehicle that will stand up to long trips, but will still be great for off road for hunting, fishing and camping adventures. i would like to make it out to colorado and moab, but for the most part i really am not a wheeler...i will hopefully make it to a few naxja events in the next few years..the crawl, winterfest and nac fest...but that won't be the jeeps primary purpose. that and i could also easily make a few small upgrades to the mj and it would be plenty useful in places like those for the amount of fun i want to have...

so my dilemma is what is keeping me from building the wj over the xj? right now i cant start working on the wj since the wife is dding it, but we will be buying a car for her soon. don't get me wrong i love xj's and the simplicity and familiarity is what is pulling me in that direction, but the wj is a nice platform with solid axles, it has more room (but it is fairly long). i know its heavier...i know the tranny's aren't as good and its more expensive to lift but they are very readily available now and mine is virtually rust free...and i still have less than $1000 invested in it. on top of that the unibodies are also stiffer, i have a spare engine and tranny...the wheels and tires interchange with a lot of other jeeps and they have coils all around already.

for now...i'm going to keep collecting xj parts...i know i have a few months to make up my mind, but if anyone has any opinions on the matter, i would be curious to hear them.
What did he say, I didn't read past the apology. If Craig says his post are too long, they are really freaking long.
Winterfest 2015.... March 6-8th?
Yes, but the cool kids show up Wednesday.

The car RIT was using was from either 08-09 or 09-10. If it was 08-09 then it was the last car I worked on before I graduated. I miss baja a lot, one of the best experiences in college. I have helped organize a event each year since I graduated (minus last year) and found being on an actual team a lot more fun. I have one of the cars from 06-07 sitting in my shop that I have to get back together.

i got the timing info before its up (i know some people up at tech, whos timing system was used)... RIT did 8 more laps than we did. wooped the field for sure. very good showing.

The machine shop

probably what will end up happening... our CNC lathe is garbage so i cant just make them. but i suppose i can chock up a few in the haas and hit it with an end mill. the spacers are cheap enough.

does anyone know where I can find a misalignment spacer with a recessed bolt like this for a 3/4" bore down to a 1/2" bolt?

CAM-310020-9-345x345.jpg

I'd try Camburg :spin1:

What did he say, I didn't read past the apology. If Craig says his post are too long, they are really freaking long.

Has xj, too small, has bunch of parts to build. Has WJ, not to small, wants to sell xj parts and build WJ. Already has his mind made up but is asking a XJ group to tell him to build a WJ. :cheers:

I'd try Camburg :spin1:

Has xj, too small, has bunch of parts to build. Has WJ, not to small, wants to sell xj parts and build WJ. Already has his mind made up but is asking a XJ group to tell him to build a WJ. :cheers:

lol...thats pretty close...but i don't have my mind made up. looked at wj parts for a while last night and they are in a whole other ball park.

I always wanted to build a WJ. The rear suspension (upper A arm) and rear axle (44a) have kept me from digging in though. I do want to do a small lift and 31"s on my moms overland. It already looks mean stock.

I always wanted to build a WJ. The rear suspension (upper A arm) and rear axle (44a) have kept me from digging in though. I do want to do a small lift and 31"s on my moms overland. It already looks mean stock.
The axles are a big hang up...though last night I found jk 44 and 30 for cheap. Not bolt in but there is a kit

found a 99 XJ in Kansas City that has no title...lots of new parts. $300. If still available, leaving in the morning to get it.

Cheese "why not have 5 of these things around" Man

^^ scratch that post...damn thing is already off CL in a matter of an hour of me finding it..

too good to be true when living 2 hours away.

Back