• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idler pulley bearing fix

I ignored my chirping belt. On the way to a wheeling trip my idler pulley seized on the Interstate and shredded the Gatorbak belt almost instantly. Spent two hours waiting for AAA to tow me home (not to mention severly overheating the engine before I could safely pull over--w/o the waterpump and fan running you'll overheat in a matter of seconds).

A new replacement is cheap insurance, IMHO.

A lot cheaper than that nice gatorback belt, I bet.

Gatorbacks are usually $20-25. Idler is around $15.

Although when me and my friend deleted the A/C in his 96 Cherokee and moved the alternator up to the top, the custom length Gatorback ended up costing him $50. :cry:

Holy S&*T!! The guys at work call me a cheap bastard for rebuilding my starters and alternators but this is a whole new kind of cheap! It's $15 REPLACE THE DAMN THING!

Gatorbacks are usually $20-25. Idler is around $15.

Although when me and my friend deleted the A/C in his 96 Cherokee and moved the alternator up to the top, the custom length Gatorback ended up costing him $50. :cry:

Ah. The gatorback I bought for my wifes Frontier was $40. Stock Nissan belts squealed like mad when cold, but the gatorback has been absolutely quiet.

a few days after i posted this thread i got a call from a buddy who's XJ was on the side of the road with a broke serp belt. i grabbed an extra belt from the garage and headed out. while i was on the way i thought about a siezed idler bearing but figured that would be one hell of a coincidence to have 2 '95 XJs have the same prob in one week but sure nuff. his idler bearing was siezed.

i took the pulley off and grabbed a set of needle nose and tore out the pieces of metal that cover the bearings. the metal was all broke and tangled between the BBs. lubed the BBs and put it back on. was good for a temporary field repair i suppose. he ran it like that for a few days before installing a new one.

as for the $15 for a new pulley, i just found an extra i forgot i had in the garage.

Back