• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify my Transfer Case

im going with YJ 231...

I sent the guy a nice message, trying to figure out what this case came out of. Pisses me off but it is my own damn fault. I have it relisted on a local board and someone has a np242 that might just work. I'll let yo guys know how it goes?

On a XJ, does the front shaft bolt up with u-bolts or what? I'm at a buddies right now wrenching on his rig and my junk isn't here ATM. I'll be crawling under it when I get home for sure to double check everything

Hopefully this is only a minor setback, had I spent like $150 then I'd be fn' pissed. At least if I can trade it off I will be happy

J-Roc said:
I sent the guy a nice message, trying to figure out what this case came out of. Pisses me off but it is my own damn fault. I have it relisted on a local board and someone has a np242 that might just work. I'll let yo guys know how it goes?

On a XJ, does the front shaft bolt up with u-bolts or what? I'm at a buddies right now wrenching on his rig and my junk isn't here ATM. I'll be crawling under it when I get home for sure to double check everything

Hopefully this is only a minor setback, had I spent like $150 then I'd be fn' pissed. At least if I can trade it off I will be happy

hard to trade when your not even sure what case it is and what it came out of. on my 89 with the 231, the front driveshaft gets bolted to the transfercase.

what spline count is it? 23 or 21?

You can get that case for around $50 around here, $100 for a low mileage unit. That will most likely be a 21 spline input as well.

Well boys if you count the input shaft carefully it is a 23 spline and that definitely a "better" sign. Unfortunately the guy e-mailed me back and swears up and down that he sent me the 242.... :doh:

J-Roc said:
Well boys if you count the input shaft carefully it is a 23 spline and that definitely a "better" sign. Unfortunately the guy e-mailed me back and swears up and down that he sent me the 242.... :doh:

23 is good! Why do you want a 242? I have one in one of the XJ's and would love to trade it for a nice low mileage 231.

J-Roc said:

Cripes! Get yourself a wrench or vice grips and start shifting that thing and see what it does. If it's a 242, you should get a fulltime 4 position where the input drives the front and rear, but they are not locked (ie center diff is open). This shouldn't be that difficult.

lawsoncl hahaha stupid me, I should have shifted it from the start, didn't even think about that... unfortunately it only have 3 shift positions, therefore it is a 231

jmop said:
That yoke is threaded for caps which means it isn't a CV yoke. Unless someone went to a bit of trouble to tap the yoke but it doesn't look that way looking at the bolts (which would be larger then normal).

As I stated it is probably from a YJ. I believe they are clocked a little higher then the XJ 231 so you may have some issues there, also as shown they don't have a CV front driveshaft so that may be a problem.

My 99 242 has threaded yoke.:repair:

Back