• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAC question

It looked like the Batcave before cleaning

With this thread and my strange idle I decided to give my IAC a good cleaning. I've had the throttle body off recently and cleaned it but I didn't go right at the IAC.

Why did they use security torx screws for the little IAC housing?? I have to assume it's from the factory as mine looks as if it was never touched. Also the 2 IAC torx screws had red loctite... why??

My IAC was pretty covered in carbon buildup, I will know if I solved anything later tonight.

X2 on RockAuto. You can get the quaility brand you want and the prices are awesome. I personally go with 'Standard' brand for my electronics. Made in USA or Canada (just like our XJ's). After all your are what you eat!

With this thread and my strange idle I decided to give my IAC a good cleaning. I've had the throttle body off recently and cleaned it but I didn't go right at the IAC.

Why did they use security torx screws for the little IAC housing?? I have to assume it's from the factory as mine looks as if it was never touched. Also the 2 IAC torx screws had red loctite... why??

My IAC was pretty covered in carbon buildup, I will know if I solved anything later tonight.

Yea I saw the telltale red stripe of threadlocker as well. Far be it from me?

I have a funny feeling that the 'tamper proof' Torx screws grew out of pollution regulations in the late '70s, where idle mixture control screws on carbs were covered, or otherwise disabled so that the mixtures couldn't be played with. And, the thread locker is there so the screws that shouldn't be played with didn't rattle loose as the gasket beneath them compressed.

I have a funny feeling that the 'tamper proof' Torx screws grew out of pollution regulations in the late '70s, where idle mixture control screws on carbs were covered, or otherwise disabled so that the mixtures couldn't be played with. And, the thread locker is there so the screws that shouldn't be played with didn't rattle loose as the gasket beneath them compressed.

I had no gasket between the IAC and housing. I guess the tamper proof makes since then in that sense.

Back