• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I will be returning soon

Lol yeah now if the D35 can take it or not lol I think it will be fine for now. I'm going to be on the look out for a 8.25 though then I have to start over open open again till I can find a locker for the 8.25.

CJ

8.25 $100-$150 (27 spline)
8.25 locker $380 and up

Dana 44 $300-$400
Locker $250

It's about the same... Maybe look for a 44... I kinda wish I did.

But I got a scramming deal on it with the locker

you can mini-spool a Dana 44 like i did..

but.. then you chirp around corners (i kinda miss that!)

You may have well just Lincoln locked it and saved some money. Because that 35 is not going to like them 33" swampers much.

I've been running five&dimes old 33"s on mine but take them off when I hit the trail. I don't want to end up like mopar440 spending the night in my junk on that trail. If all goes well I hope to have a car dolly in the near future. That way I can dolly my junk back and forth. Also if someone breaks they can just drive mine and then dolly theirs home.

Dave

Last edited:
Also if someone breaks they can just drive mine and then dolly theirs home.

I like the way this guy think's now there is a team player. You should be on the emergency contact thread. :)

Ok to start with I know I'm going to sound dumb here but what the hell is a five&dimes? Is this reffering to D30 and D35? I'm not to good with the slang talk about these things, it's like trying to understand what truckers are saying with their codes on a CB :yap:

For saving money well I think I did ok with getting the wheels tires and the locker for $250 I don't know. Do have to wonder how it will go though got 50% of people telling me it won't go good and then 50% telling me it will be fine. That's the reason I went with 33" and not 35" was always told that 33" would be safe. The 50% of people that say I will be fine with 33" locked on D35 have and/or do run 33" locked on D35 and have been fine, and seems the 50% that say it's not going to be fine are the ones that never did run 33" locked D35 and just upgraded to larger.

IDK have to see what happens and hope for the best and at the same time if the worst happens then hope there are good folks such as yourself out there with me that can help me out lol.

HHMM who knows I might have a locker for sale pretty soon here :roflmao:

CJ

Also if someone breaks they can just drive mine and then dolly theirs home.

I like the way this guy think's now there is a team player. You should be on the emergency contact thread. :)

I seen where you posted your age on another thread. All I can say is I'm not fare behind you. I see no fun to be had sitting in the woods broke down and have to depend on others to get me home. This way if I have to I can recover the YJ with the XJ then get home on my own. Or just need to get help back to my rv.

Dave

LOL LOL LOL LOL oh ok lol so you saying you run 33" on the street and then go smaller on the trails?

Everyone has there own opinion on how strong an axle is. It all depend's on how your going to use it. if your going to run 33" and beat it every weekend I would have a back up ready to go. Mine has a chrysler 8.25 which is suppose to be stronger i am on 32" tire's and there is always the posablity of breaking that axle however I try to baby it.
It still goes every where I want I just dont get frustrated when I get stuck and stomp on the skinny pedal. I also carry and extra axle shaft. I am suppose to have a set of 150 axle's in case mine break however I doubt that I will be able to ever dig them out of my buddy's yard. You already have the locker just install it and prove it can be done just make sure you are prepared when and if it break's

I seen where you posted your age on another thread. All I can say is I'm not fare behind you. I see no fun to be had sitting in the woods broke down and have to depend on others to get me home. This way if I have to I can recover the YJ with the XJ then get home on my own. Or just need to get help back to my rv.

Dave

Nice way of saying we are the old fart's of this chapter Dave. Yeah I feel the same way
use to have an F350 for a tow rig however I got tired of paying to store it and I just do not have enough room to store it here at the house so I sold it. I hate breaking and spending any time alone in the wood's. That because I am old and like my warm bed I will leave being young to the young they probably call that fun. I did my time broke down in the wood's.

Sorry for the hijack

Yeah this is true, not like it will be to hard to find and carry extra shafts with me, the hard part might be changing shafts out on the trails lol. I think we all would like to be able to have a compleate XJ worth of spare parts with us out on the trails and seems most the time between everyone that goes out together theere is a compleate XJ worth of parts out there lol.

I just can't wait to get back out on the trails and start having some fun again.

CJ

Don't worry about it too much. just carry axle shafts, u-joints, tie rod ends, steering linkage, hub/bearing assemblies, no more tools than you need to do each task. And you'll be fine. As long as you never go out 4wheeling alone you won't have to worry too much about being stuck in the woods alone all night.Beside if you go four wheeling with someone and they are not prepared for break downs and recovery they're probably not good to go wheeling with. :)

That's true Aaron that's why I want you to get your Jeep together so you can run Brown's camp with me because all I have is one spare shaft. I do have all the tool's that I would need though. So i guess that I would suck to go wheeling with. I feel like a real let down. That's why I wheel alone. :O

That's true Aaron that's why I want you to get your Jeep together so you can run Brown's camp with me because all I have is one spare shaft. I do have all the tool's that I would need though. So i guess that I would suck to go wheeling with. I feel like a real let down. That's why I wheel alone. :O

as long as your prepared to either be able to fix your rig in the woods or take your chances leaving your rig to go get parts. I'm not saying that someone should have everything i listed. I was just trying the give examples. If someone goes wheeling with no tools or parts and thinks that the trip will definitly only take a set amount of time and does not have the means to survive should the worst case senario arise. ie: recovery gear, not telling someone where they are, some kind of cutting tool way to start fire ect.. Then for me that person is not prepared or responsible for themselves let alone someone else.

I've learned my lesson about wheeling without means to repair or recover. I would love to go to Browns camp with you. I want to go every weekend, but not everyone is as eager to wheel that often. Anytime you wanna go run trails let me know and i'll be there.

Oh, sorry for hijacking your thread CJ.

No biggie on the hijacking I do it to myself all the time. I know what you mean about being ready out there though. The first wheeling trip I ever went on I had ujoints shafts and a couple other things with me and all the tools to fix that stuff BUT the one part that broke on my jeep that day I didn't have lmao. It was the Y or T or what ever metal part that came off the coolent bottle to the heater core, it snapped in half and none of us had a replacement for it, then we needed a hack saw LMAO out of like 13 rigs no one had a hacksaw lol long story short called over the radio for a hack saw and Scot says I got it. Here he comes with a tree limb saw LMAO well took a while and made it work and bypast that crap to get it home lol. Lets just say first thing I did when got home was upgraded to a open radiator system. Oh and I still have that saw it is hanging in the garage as a reminder now lol

CJ

like 10 years ago in phoenix i went wheeling by myself in box canyon and rolled my samurai. I servived due to a exo cage and internal cage. but was brused pretty bad and had to walk 6 miles back to the highway through the desert with just a small bottle of water. Haven't gone out alone since. I still have scares to remind me.

I am also sorry for hijacking your thread. And I don't wheel alone I was pulling your leg. I have thought about it on a few occasion's. The trail's that I was going to try on have alot of traffic soI really wasn't worried if I broke down or tipped. Usually if you go with a couple of people someone will have something you do not. That's all that I was saying.

Back