• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think my computer is toast

Here you go... The red indicates the conduit in question, the blue X was the location of the short, the yellow bullseyes were the location of the friction pulling at the conduit, and the green is where he tied the conduit up to the other harness to prevent future problems. I still don't like the angle that the fuel injector wires go into the fuel rail where it T's off of that harness because it seems like it is stressing those wires, but that may be because any slack there would be a bad thing.

l_a1f0ecc4b780450191c2e6f3e4a4d52b.jpg

Glad you finally found it. As I recall there are a bunch of ground wires that get crimped together near there, but I thought it was in the harness more towards the passenger side. It's a crappy little crimp wrapped in duct tape.

The mechanic thought he wasn't getting paid unless he found the problem? That's a rarity. Seems like they all want to get paid hourly diagnostic fees whether they find the problem or not.

The mechanic thought he wasn't getting paid unless he found the problem? That's a rarity. Seems like they all want to get paid hourly diagnostic fees whether they find the problem or not.

I've heard of "lawyers" working on a contingency fee, taking a third if they are successful and win the case but never a technician working on a vehicle! I have seen some of them reduce the bill a bit though if they strike out and can't find the problem.

Thanks for posting the pics and explanation on the short...

Who knows if the mechanic was just BSing me when he said that... LOL we were BSing about haw hard it was to find the problem when he said that.

I thought you all would want to know so you can check your rigs. This was the exact spot of the problem... You can actually see the mark on the end of the fuel rail where it had worn it's way through the wiring insulation. The split in the conduit is in a bad place because it let the fuel rail have direct access to the harness.

l_b3bbd3a504534a1ebaa742f5c6286796.jpg

thanks for that last pick! i went to check mine and sure enough mine was rubbing on the fuel rail also. i just wire tied it up and fixed it. below are some pick of mine rubbing on the rail. and by the way my loom also had an indent in it were it was rubbing! thanks again. by the way mine is a 99.

my finger is pointing to the rub point.
100_1081.jpg

100_1080.jpg

Hey, x99j... That is awesome that you were able to catch it! I'm glad I was able to help!

Mine is running SO great now with a new computer and ALL NEW ignition parts! Worth every penny! I remember those extended cranks... history... starts on the second revolution every time now! drove about a hundred miles so far, and the new PCM has learned and the truck runs like BRAND NEW! :D

Back