• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think I finally broke it

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
Well I think I finally broke something in the axle instead of blowing up a driveshaft. Very long story short, while under heavy acceleration out of the IHOP from a crackhead, I heard a substantial bang which I figured was driveshaft. No shaft fell out. I kept hearing a quieter pop on the way home when I was turning. Did a visual/manual check when I got home, couldn't find anything.

This morning heading out to work, the rear D44 acts like its locked. The tires crab and bark when I'm turning onto a new street. Occasional popping during this as well.

What have I done? I'm praying I make it home in one piece to pull the diff cover and take a look. I'm pretty sure I have an extra carrier at home, and I know I have shafts.

I may have a set of stock shafts for an XJ44 if that's what it is. I bought Alloys for mine, which weren't that bad price wise, and kept the stock ones for spares. I broke two D44 shafts and they broke right where they went in the carrier. I did have to replace the carrier once due to the shaft egging out the carier and bearing. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

free locker....dont worry about it

possibilities-
-spiders
-cross pin
-carrier

pull the cover and enjoy!

You forgot ring gear..... could have broken or chipped a tooth! :dunce:

Seems like a chipped tooth on the ring gear would give him a hard time all the time. Not just when turning.

Not if said chunk was floating around and getting kicked up every so often. Also if he toasted a spider wouldn't it stop going foward? The diff would spin and not put power to the wheel?

I'd bet you busted the spiders.

Time for a selectable in the rear.

Why were you running from a crackhead?

The crackhead story is best told in person with acting...

free locker....dont worry about it

possibilities-
-spiders
-cross pin
-carrier

pull the cover and enjoy!

You know I thought about that... man I'm locked to go to URE!

Pictures are coming when I get home after 5. I am nervous and excited at the same time to see the carnage.

You forgot ring gear..... could have broken or chipped a tooth! :dunce:
I think Flexy knows where to go to fix them! :cheers:

Pictures are coming when I get home after 5. I am nervous and excited at the same time to see the carnage.

Post up! We're all still waiting to see what Doug and Sam find when they pop theirs open too!

I think Flexy knows where to go to fix them! :cheers:

Post up! We're all still waiting to see what Doug and Sam find when they pop theirs open too!

I'll abstain from this convo...... :gee:

Not if said chunk was floating around and getting kicked up every so often. Also if he toasted a spider wouldn't it stop going foward? The diff would spin and not put power to the wheel?

If the spiders were completely shattered into a million pieces and all floating in the bottom, yes. I'd guess they're busted and all locked together for the time being.

We'll see in the next hour or so... eh?

Spider gears.
zamepudy.jpg

Weld em up! No more noises and more traction!

No welding this time, I didn't have access to a competent welder tonight and need this on the road by tomorrow night to get to URE. I certainly thought about it though, especially since it wouldn't be permanent (new d44 for the 4.56 swap).

Thankfully I have a spare carrier in the garage with spider gears ready to go. I would have done it all tonight, but I'm running on 3 hours of sleep as is, and had to add a complete drum job to the process. I got the shafts pulled tonight and figured it was a good stopping point. Cobbler Chris's Dad is going to get a head start cleaning up the brakes before I get home from work tomorrow, so all I should have to do is pull the carrier, swap the spiders, and reassemble everything. Somehow I always have these late minute crucial projects before wheeling events. '11 Crawl was the most stressful, I finished the stroker days before leaving.

Oh! I can't find any of the missing teeth? Hopefully they show up tomorrow when I pull the carrier and can really look/clean everything.

Hey, I finally broke something other than a driveshaft. Once again the result of a heavy foot, on the road or on the trail.

I hate you guys! :laugh3:

Back