• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I searched and searched

Re: WTF?!

If your cap isn't holding it will cause it to run hot.Start small first, don't throw money at it. I would see about the cap first and go from there.If you put a new rad in i would have done a new cap at the same time

and i just checked the cap and it is a 16. could having 4 8 inch hella light mounted in front of the grille cause it? and it heats up at highway speeds too. can maybe having the 180 t stat do it?

Sounds like the clutch fan to me. I run a 185 in mine so it wouldn't cause it to run hot.I also have lights in the front of my rad too.Check your clutch fan, like i said i cleaned and oiled mine.But if it runs hot going down the freeway i would think clutch fan.

ok well then i just dont want to throw money in that since i have an electric fan coming :)

when the rad guy called me he said that the clutch fan was leaking oil, so mayne that is it??

Sounds like it, if it is leaking oil out of it.I have never taking one apart, but i know it got alot of crap built up in it.Get a new one a let me know if it worked.

also one last question. When i turn the vehicle off and return to the jeep a few minutes later when the jeep has coold down some and spin the fan and it spins really easy isnt that a sign of a bad fan?

haha yea cuz my wife dropped off the jeep like 2 hours ago and i just went out there like 20 min ago and it still spun really easy

The clutch fan should spin fairly easy when it's cool. It' should NOT spin very easily when everything is good and hot. (use caution if checking when it's hot the rad will burn the crap outta you.)
If your clutch fan was leaking fluid and it wasn't coming out of the water pump then that is most likely your culprit. Try searching for threads on here for grand cherokee clutch fan upgrade, it can help immensely in controlling overheating.

let me recommend that you get a dealer unit. i tried the az and napa and oreilly crap and it didnt solve my problem. the dealer fan clucth worked withoiut any problems. some parts you have to pony up for. also as far as the 3 row rad i have heard that most guys dont like because they can get clogged up easier. i will tell you from experience that my 3 rows performs better than the 2 row i had. i am anal about flushing the system though.

I take mine to the shop every 4 years and i don't have a problem with my stock unit in the low desert. Yes i offroad during the day and night out here all year round.I do get hot in the canyons with no air moving at all.it hits 215/220.

i do mine every 6 months or 10,000 miles. like i said im anal about fluid changes in all my cars. cheap insurance. i can find a way to spend 30 bucks for fluids. trying to pony up for a new engine or trans would not happen.

ok so what you are saying is that when the motor is say at 215, if i was to get out and try and spin the clutch fan it should be hard so spin?

Re: High Engine Temps

If you overheat at idle, generally it's a fan clutch issue.

You should stay cool at highway speeds even if your fan clutch is bad.

Back