• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I now am the proud owner of an MJ!

lSorry to intrude on yalls conversation, but i have been looking into getting a MJ myself. I have a question for you MJ guys, since the rears are spring under axle, if I were to get a rear axle out of a XJ and put it under a MJ would it be as simple as bolting it up, getting longer shocks and brake lines?

Thanks in advance

Adam

probably need a s.y.e. too. according to my calculations, it's close to 5-6 inch difference spring under to spring over. 3 or so inches axle tube and then the spring perches. instead of sitting off the tube a few inches on the bottom, you'd be sitting it above the axle tube a few inches. so longer shocks, brake lines and s.y.e. most likely and if not probably should anyways.

ferret063 said:
lSorry to intrude on yalls conversation, but i have been looking into getting a MJ myself. I have a question for you MJ guys, since the rears are spring under axle, if I were to get a rear axle out of a XJ and put it under a MJ would it be as simple as bolting it up, getting longer shocks and brake lines?

Thanks in advance

Adam

I think someone told me that the spring perches are in the wrong place, not sure if it is too wide or too narrow though. :anon:

Mj spring are longer, maybe thats what you were thinking?

the perches are just on the opposite side of a cherokee. flip the perches to the top, and you're done. mj springs are longer than cherokee's and that is the only difference.

cstilesiscool said:
the perches are just on the opposite side of a cherokee. flip the perches to the top, and you're done. mj springs are longer than cherokee's and that is the only difference.

Wrong. The perches are difference distance apart, and under the tube. Yeah, you "can" just bolt in an XJ axle, but you'll be stressing your leaf bushings and the leaf packs won't sit right on the axle. Also, both the shock mounts are on the front side (or maybe back side) of the axle, not one on each like an XJ. I know. I've done it. Move the perches, move the shock mount.

phil's right.

47b4cf22b3127cce9a52439af52500000016108UaNmrRo24

IslanderXJ said:
Oh come on they aren't that bad (I bet I can get $50 for them from somebody with a little paint), they will work untill I find some other ones.

I'll take the fenders. :D PM when you're ready to sell.

cstilesiscool said:
i've noticed though that when someone asks a question about an mj, people tend to have dumb a$$ things to say like go to an mj forum. naxja shows up when you google as a mj/xj forum, i just wasn't sure if there was a dedicated good forum or not. i know a lot of people on here have both. i just learned that mj's are spring under and that if i relocate to spring over i would gain about 6 inches lift. driveshaft vibes at that point like an xj? will i need a s.y.e. like an xj?

www.comancheclub.com

Capt. Nemo said:
I'll take the fenders. :D PM when you're ready to sell.
You got it, anything you would rather trade with (that I might want) rather than pay cash?
How about a 4.0L? lol, jk

mj perches are around 42" not sure what xj's are but i want to say 44".... give or take 1/4".

you might as well get new perches. this way you can get the right pinion angle with or without a sye. some people use the old mj spring plates for shock mounts.

what i did: went to pnp found a xj 44. unbolted the e-brake cable from the adjuster. keep your e-brake cables. kept the spring plates and u-bolts so i could get new ones made. you only need 1 but they all came off so easy. shocker so i kept them as trail spares. bought new re perches and shock mounts. cut everything off the 44. now you just start fresh.

with the cables i just extended the adjuster mount on the mj and bolted it up. xj cables are really long on a shortbed so no need to have then extended.

simple:wierd:

Ok some duechebag knocked out one of my tailights today with his redneck K5 blazer... I know getting replacement ones is near impossible. Anybody know what tailight looks the closest to Mj lights? I can always fab up new mounts.

Last edited:
I have a spare tail light off my spare MJ, yes, I bought another one. My name is Carl, and I have a Jeep problem. This one actually ran though, until the rear end "grenaded". If I can scrounge the money, I will join this month, just so I can share pictures of all the carnage. My (cough) Dad sh*t a brick when I dragged it home, and infromed me I have two weeks to sell the tons of extra jeep parts I have, my question for Scrappy is can I post an ad in just the Sierra Chapter part, as long as I promise a portion of the proceeds will go to me becoming a Member? Islander, I have 4.0, and can travel?

Well now this thing won't start, I hardwired the fuel pump with an inline fuse and toggle switch. It pumps, 'cause I used it to pump out the old gas (yes I put more fuel in it). I used the battery out of the Xj to start it (so I know its charged). It turns over just no spark, I'm not sure about that actually because I couldn't check for spark and start it at the same time by myself, but no ignition of the fuel.
:helpme: :repair:
EDIT: there is a kind of cough right when it first turns over.

Last edited:
the heads are turning when it coughs, lol.

Back