• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need prayers...

You have my thoughts and prayers too.... Hang in there, and fight the fight. I lost my brother-in-law to cancer a year and a half ago. Cancer truly does suck..... :(

ZachMan said:
Thanks,

I am a big guy and like the days I can't eat (I think the chemo definately sets a fir to your metabolism) I was 322lbs before chemo and at my lowest I got down to 258, today I am right around 270lbs. I plan (once its all done) to get down to 220-200lbs, I'm 6'4". So losing weight does help me out and I welcome it, but yeah you gotta eat, even being big you'll fell even worse wit hchemo on an empty stomach, yuck..

BTW, my uncle had pancreatic cancer too, its awful...they gave him a 2% chance of making it it and said he never would live more than 5 years. Well he is still here today and all that was 9 years ago.

Good - so you've got some reserve for when you can't eat. I wouldn't consider that an excuse to not eat - do try anyway, because you'll need the energy later, if you don't need it now.

As far as getting your chances - what do they know, anyhow? There are too many variables, including the mental state of the patient, and the "will to survive." There also should be a small amount of faith in the doctors - which I'm fairly sure my grandfather didn't have (he wasn't born in a hospital, and the only time he'd been to see a doctor before he got the cancer was for work physicals. Nothin' else wrong with him. So, he probably didn't really believe that help was a possibility with the doctors - since he hadn't had any major trauma to deal with before, and didn't have any regular association with them.

I'm not saying that's why we lost him, but I'm sure it was a part of it. I'd always pictured him steaming right along until he hit about a hundred and ten years - then dropping in his tracks. More fool me - I didn't expect this (he was always too healthy for that - I can't remember him having so much as a sniffle for 30 years...)

However, having been through some fairly hairy situations myself, here's what I can directly offer...

1) Have faith in the doctors. Have a small amount of scepticism - it helps! - but do have some faith in the doctors.

2) If you don't get along with a doctor, replace him! A rapport is important - probably moreso than anything else in dealing with a doctor. It's rare that I get along with an MD - when I find one, I tend to keep him/her (yes, I've no trouble with female doctors, either.)

3) Keep, somewhere in the forefront of your mind, the thought that you will recover from this. Never underestimate the true power of positive thinking. A small bit of scepticism is important here as well - but the mind has a significant power over the body in times like this.

4) Last (for now) - but certanly not the least! - is this: if you get a food craving, act on it! If you're craving something, it's your body trying to tell you it needs something. Give it over - it will help you heal faster. Even if it's chocolate (chocolate stimulates the release of beta-endorphin, which is a mood elevator. As I recall. Anyhow, it makes you feel better...) Sugar cravings are a sign you need energy. Red meat (if you can stand it) has protein and iron - protein helps maintain muscle tissue, iron will help with the production of red blood cells. And so on. Typically, you won't need much of whatever you're craving - but if you're craving it, you need it.

Zach, kudos to you for your courage to fight this , and to those who are prayin for ya. my Mom developed cancer this past fall, so i know a little about what you and you're family are goin through, Godspeed, on your recovery, Scott....

5-90 said:
Good - so you've got some reserve for when you can't eat. I wouldn't consider that an excuse to not eat - do try anyway, because you'll need the energy later, if you don't need it now.

As far as getting your chances - what do they know, anyhow? There are too many variables, including the mental state of the patient, and the "will to survive." There also should be a small amount of faith in the doctors - which I'm fairly sure my grandfather didn't have (he wasn't born in a hospital, and the only time he'd been to see a doctor before he got the cancer was for work physicals. Nothin' else wrong with him. So, he probably didn't really believe that help was a possibility with the doctors - since he hadn't had any major trauma to deal with before, and didn't have any regular association with them.

I'm not saying that's why we lost him, but I'm sure it was a part of it. I'd always pictured him steaming right along until he hit about a hundred and ten years - then dropping in his tracks. More fool me - I didn't expect this (he was always too healthy for that - I can't remember him having so much as a sniffle for 30 years...)

However, having been through some fairly hairy situations myself, here's what I can directly offer...

1) Have faith in the doctors. Have a small amount of scepticism - it helps! - but do have some faith in the doctors.

2) If you don't get along with a doctor, replace him! A rapport is important - probably moreso than anything else in dealing with a doctor. It's rare that I get along with an MD - when I find one, I tend to keep him/her (yes, I've no trouble with female doctors, either.)

3) Keep, somewhere in the forefront of your mind, the thought that you will recover from this. Never underestimate the true power of positive thinking. A small bit of scepticism is important here as well - but the mind has a significant power over the body in times like this.

4) Last (for now) - but certanly not the least! - is this: if you get a food craving, act on it! If you're craving something, it's your body trying to tell you it needs something. Give it over - it will help you heal faster. Even if it's chocolate (chocolate stimulates the release of beta-endorphin, which is a mood elevator. As I recall. Anyhow, it makes you feel better...) Sugar cravings are a sign you need energy. Red meat (if you can stand it) has protein and iron - protein helps maintain muscle tissue, iron will help with the production of red blood cells. And so on. Typically, you won't need much of whatever you're craving - but if you're craving it, you need it.

All very wise, excellent words of advice. 5-90 just forgot one thing. ALWAYS remember that God is watching and has a plan for you. NEVER give up your faith. Stay strong in your faith, and live or die, you will be rewarded. Mike

Thanks, man

Yeap the mind is a very powerful thing, Ialways try to stay positive and whe nI start to get down I try my best to just get my mind of this mess (usually my Jeep haha). I hear all the time how if you stay positive it will work wonders and I think its true, I never once thought of having any issues at all I just wouldn't even think of it and I belive it helped me gte to remission so fast, but it gets harder the longer this takes. Just got to give it up to God and I know I'll be okay.

Lets see theres been a few bumps in the road:

6 rounds of haaard chemo, 11 spinal taps, dizzyness or light headedness causing me t ofall and tear both MCLs, aniema a few times (head starts pulseating whe nyour blod gets low, then you feel like crap), dizzyness, fell tore both MCLs in my knees, low white/red cells and all the problems that comes with that, had 14 units of red cells transfused and 8 platlettes, staff infection, pnuemonia, pluracy or pluratic pain close ot heart (thought I was having a heart attack, couldn't breath for about 45 minutes on my own), found I was allergic to a certain IV antibiotic and my kidneys creatin levels sky rocketed (almost on dialysis), 102*-104.5* fevers x5, killer sore throat x3, loss of hair, nueropathy after every round (fingers/hand/toes go numb, could write my own name it got so bad once), numb/sharp pains in right theigh from nerve damage from marrow biopsy in hip (still there), 36 hour nose bleed, hemroids, diaharia, throwing up, nausia, weakness the entire time, extreme weight loss, etc...

Last edited:
mtnxj said:
All very wise, excellent words of advice. 5-90 just forgot one thing. ALWAYS remember that God is watching and has a plan for you. NEVER give up your faith. Stay strong in your faith, and live or die, you will be rewarded. Mike

An intentional omission - not everyone appreciates having faith thrown in their faces like that.

And there are those of us who are agnostic - the jury is still out. However, one need not be specifically religious to believe in God, or "a God," or a "Prime Mover," or a "Great Architect" - they're all word-symbols for something beyond our understanding.

For me, faith is more a personal matter than anything else - which is why I don't tend to bring it up at times like this. I don't know what Zach's faith is, and I don't want to cause a conflict. After all, there are three topics generally unsuited for polite discussion...

Government/politics
Sexuality
Religion.

By avoiding those three (except by mutual accord,) I find my conversations to be rather more civilised. Makes things a lot easier that way...

Not to belittle your faith - if you have a faith that you stick to, there's no reason for you to stop doing so on my account! I just avoid it as a topic of discussion - except when mutually agreed to, like when having a friendly debate (yes, debates can be friendly, and a good way to stimulate your mental muscle...)

Carry on.

5-90 said:
An intentional omission - not everyone appreciates having faith thrown in their faces like that.

And there are those of us who are agnostic - the jury is still out. However, one need not be specifically religious to believe in God, or "a God," or a "Prime Mover," or a "Great Architect" - they're all word-symbols for something beyond our understanding.

For me, faith is more a personal matter than anything else - which is why I don't tend to bring it up at times like this. I don't know what Zach's faith is, and I don't want to cause a conflict. After all, there are three topics generally unsuited for polite discussion...

Government/politics
Sexuality
Religion.

By avoiding those three (except by mutual accord,) I find my conversations to be rather more civilised. Makes things a lot easier that way...

Not to belittle your faith - if you have a faith that you stick to, there's no reason for you to stop doing so on my account! I just avoid it as a topic of discussion - except when mutually agreed to, like when having a friendly debate (yes, debates can be friendly, and a good way to stimulate your mental muscle...)

Carry on.

No offense taken. I am usually very reserved about expressing my faith for those very same reasons. In this case, Zach was asking for prayers, so he has some type of belief in a higher power. Therefore, I was offering what words of encourgement I could. If Zach or anyone else thinks I was throwing faith in their face, then please accept my apoligy. On that note, Zach, you have my prayers and well wishes. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. Nasty stuff.

A guy I worked with was diagnosed. He was a great guy. Man of faith, wonderful family, still young at 40 and a good life left in front of him. The doctors opened him up and told him he needs to get his affairs in order within 6 months. He tried alternatives, it slowed down for a bit. He went on a trip to visit all his friends and family for a month, then he went back to work. It came back with a vengeance.

On his last day he had friends and family from all over the country come to his house. Over 200. After they left he went down stairs to his favorite chair in his favorite football jersey. He read his family his favorite passages and he passed. That was a powerful experience for me. He never had a chance, but he made the most of it.

Don't stop fighting. Don't stop asking for help and support. Don't feel bad about feeling bad. It's a real kick in the nuts. Those that love and support you understand. You have mine.

Thanks guys..keep the info/stories coming.

Yep I am a Christian so we can clear that up :D

You have my prayers too. Lost a cousin at 22. Bad stuff; but she always had a positive outlook. It just got the better of her.

We'll add you to the prayer chain. As for the radiation and BMT, don't know if this is applicable or not but have you talked to the your doc about what this will do in the event you want kids ? Is it possible that you can do a sperm donation before they do the radiation thing ? Something to consider.

As far as atheists and agnostics, I've seen instant conversions after the second incoming mortar round...

Hang in there Zach. Cancer has been a big part of my life for the last four years. Which is why I am in California visiting my dad. It recently went terminal, and they have given him six months, I hope he beats it. At 58 years old, for the first time in his life he looks like an old man and it breaks my heart. He beat it once, and I pray that he can do it again. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Miracles happen every day, don't ever forget that. You can beat it.

You have my best thoughts for you and yours. Cancer CAN be fought hard with medicine and definitely a positive attitude. Good Luck!

I know you know this but I watched my Daughter go through this. You have my prayers, but more so if you want some first hand knowledge about what is ahead I'm sure my wife, who was with caroline more then me, or I would be glad to talk to you. Get a second or third opnion. To my knowledge the top Leukemia treatment facilities in the country are Emory in Atlanta, GA aplace in Texas and one in Seattle. From what I know that type of BMT is the one with the most success. I am up to be a marrow doner in the spring for someone with aplastic anemia. I have been on both sides of this and hope that I am able to help this man live a better life in the future. Good luck with it and and pm me any time and I'll send you my numbers. Let us know if there is anything we NAXJA cna do to help.

5-90 said:

Government/politics
Sexuality
Religion.

Carry on.

Agreed. I kinda cringe when the topic of religion arises. With that said, my thoughts are with you Zachman. My mother beat cancer two years ago, and the prognosis at the time was not good.

I have been on the bone marrow prospective donor list for more than 10 years. Haven't gotten the call yet, but I'm ready to donate my marrow at a moment's notice.

I can tell you have a great attitude Zach. I'll pray for you. Just remember there is a reason for this and ask God for strength and wise council from your Doc's. Keep us posted and thanks for helping me count my blessings today!

Josh

Back