• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need new ideas for my xj! What have you installed?

Great, I will try to get some over lunch.
right on, thanks man!
Check out http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549 - there's a couple of other threads that cover the install as well, but the main thing you need to know in advance is that you'll need the wiring pigtail from the back of a '97-up fog light switch in order to wire in the extended idle switch. Neither the bezel nor the switch come with that pigtail, so you'll want to put that on the junkyard list.

wouldn't my 99 have this pigtail? i have the FSM for my jeep and it shows how to wire up the extended idle :)
Ah, cool. I helped out one of your guys about 3.5 years ago with a stuck Silverado; we ended up having to do a double-pull on it to get it unstuck. Guy had managed to get it bogged down right up to the frame.
Was it a volunteer truck? cause our vehicles were all fords then and now we switched to chevy

wouldn't my 99 have this pigtail? i have the FSM for my jeep and it shows how to wire up the extended idle :)

My recollection is that it won't - at least, I'm not aware of anyone who has done this mod where the wiring was in place for it. It's possible that the police-package XJs had a different harness to accomodate the switch as well as other things, but my experience from digging around in the wiring behind the dash in my 2000 did not turn it up.

Was it a volunteer truck? cause our vehicles were all fords then and now we switched to chevy

It was a volunteer from one of the local SAR units, IIRC. My memory is that he was in a dark OJ-era Bronco with about 4"-6" of lift on it if that rings any bells.

My recollection is that it won't - at least, I'm not aware of anyone who has done this mod where the wiring was in place for it. It's possible that the police-package XJs had a different harness to accomodate the switch as well as other things, but my experience from digging around in the wiring behind the dash in my 2000 did not turn it up.

oh gotcha, well i think im going to follow this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/extended-idle-switch-how-simple-easy-like-factory-610688/

It was a volunteer from one of the local SAR units, IIRC. My memory is that he was in a dark OJ-era Bronco with about 4"-6" of lift on it if that rings any bells.

Ya our SAR units run out of the sheriffs department, and they have chevy trucks so your memory serves correct. Sadly we had one of our SAR units killed recently by an ambulance going over a dune and landing on top of him on his quad. R.I.P. Chris

I have the pics of my interior. How do I load them into the thread?

Well, you have to be a paid member to load them to this thread. However you can upload them to your photobucket and post a hyperlink here. From there, if we have a nice enough red letter user, he could post them to the thread so everyone can view the pics without having to leave the window.

Well, you have to be a paid member to load them to this thread. However you can upload them to your photobucket and post a hyperlink here. From there, if we have a nice enough red letter user, he could post them to the thread so everyone can view the pics without having to leave the window.
Good guess, but nope. Even redletter names can't post attachments on mod tech (at least, I can't.) Like you said, imageshack or photobucket works great though, I use imageshack. Just upload, grab the text from the "forum code" box, and paste it into your post.

EDIT: vvv yeah, that's the idea, but that's just a thumbnail. If you use the right forum code it'll make a thumbnail you can click that goes to the big image. vvv

Last edited:
Good guess, but nope. Even redletter names can't post attachments on mod tech (at least, I can't.) Like you said, imageshack or photobucket works great though, I use imageshack. Just upload, grab the text from the "forum code" box, and paste it into your post.

oh i see. so i could do this?
jeepwater.jpg

pic is from last year.

Last edited:
I have an oil accumulator/ pre oiler installed on mine. It's made from a Fox shock remote reservoir and an electric solenoid to hold the pressure and release it when the ignition is turned on.

:huh:.
excuse me? im not sure which "wire jobs" your talking about but please don't refer to them with a racist comment like that. Also, please don't respond to this thread with that negativity either. If you have done something to your rig that is different then share, but as far as degrading fellow members on the hard work they have put into their heep, that's just not ok with me.
I had to jeremy.
I did not mean anything negative by it. Especially since I consider you my friend.
And it is by NO MEANS a racial comment, there are many ways that phrase is used about stuff that is not completed "the correct way".
All I am saying is that with all the money you have put into it with the not-as-practical accessories, and the more important driveability items have not been address yet just seems odd to me. Sorry if I offended you.

Back