• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have a quick ?

2000pacherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hey gang
i was wondering if the 410 gears and carrier from a tj or yj 4cyl. d30 will fit in my xjs d30 being the 410 is a bigger carrier?i didnt know if the housings were the same size for the bigger carrier. i have a 2000 xj with stock 355 gears in the d30 now. and are the splines the same for both carriers with the axles? just checking any help would be appreciated.

danny

Yup. Everything should fit just fine.
D30 stock carrier uses 27splines, BTW.

RCman said:
Yup. Everything should fit just fine.
D30 stock carrier uses 27splines, BTW.

Careful, a 2000 XJ comes with a LP(low pinion) D30, as long as the axle your pulling the 4.10's out of is a LPD30, it should be fine. If they are coming out of a HPD30, it will not work.

A.

Andy in Pa. said:
Careful, a 2000 XJ comes with a LP(low pinion) D30, as long as the axle your pulling the 4.10's out of is a LPD30, it should be fine. If they are coming out of a HPD30, it will not work.

A.
Good point. I totally missed the '00 part of his post. Just to re-enforce Andy's clarification: If you've got the stock LPD30 out of your '00 (or an '01 for that matter) what I said above does not hold true. Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks for the correction Andy! :cheers:

Last edited:
TJ = low pinion
YJ = high pinion

i assume you are asking if they will work because you want to save $$ buying used parts.. i will assume you are not setting your own gears since you didnt know the answer to this and i'm not knocking you for that but used gears are just that.... used... along with your used gears you will absolutely need a NEW install kit with bearings and shims, and the labor on setting new or used gears will be essentially the same.. so in all honesty if you want reliable gears you are confident in and want to expect longevity out of i'd strongly suggest you spend the extra $100 for a new set since used gears generally run 40 - 50 and a new set is about 150.00.. i totally understand budget-minded building but a gearset has a very high demand on it and i'd never have 100% faith in a used set. if this is a trail-only rig that will live on a trailer you can pretty much forget everything i said but otherwise i-d suggest you think about it at least before jumping at the "cheap" way...
why "only" 4.10s? this is the time to think long-term as far as what tires you will be wanting in 2 or 3 years..
maybe you should hold-out for a complete axle with 4.10s in it from a 90 to 99 XJ 4 cylinder.. your axles and hubs will bolt right on and you save the hassle of regearing a low-pinion axle that might not be compatible with future lift height increases?
food for thought..

hey guys thanks for all the info i do have a lpd30 andy i forgot about that my self. and sid i wasnt going to do this right now ,,,,so info on the long term goals are great. i dont want to go any bigger in tire size then 33s.
thanks for again gang. this gives me room for thought.
see some of you guys at the york jeep show on saturday.

hey danny, you get to try the lockright out yet?? how's it working out for ya? i never ended up using it thanks to the d44 build, just wanted to check in and see how the install went and everything...

Hi Danny,
Actually, the best bet is for you to score a HPD30 from an earlier (99-older) XJ, then gear it with NEW 4.56 gears (4.10's are soo last year...) when the time comes. Re-gear your rear axle, then swap in the front.

See you at Pa Jeeps!
A.

Back