• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how would you start? fast mild xj build thread

Why are you in such a rush?

dude i have had my jeep since last august and i have been lurking and asking questions ever since about lifts and what to do. granted i HAD to do just a 2" with 30's to hold me off because it needed new tires and susp anyways. but take your time and save up more cash and get quality parts. ive saved up enough now that i can get the re 5.5la and supporting mods, and then i wont have to worry about anything. just wait it out, your jeep will be fine in winter

99 xj,
bought last night....

4 door, 4.0 you know the drill....

like the rock hard bumpers, and skids....

want to clear at least 33's actually 34ltb's
cant afford long arms.....
dont want to cut much
want to wheel and drive on the street 50/50

am i asking for too much?
can only afford like 800 for the lift....but want discos etc.... talked to rustys the other day, they said they would mod their 6.5" kit some for me to help on the price.....
where do i start what should i do.... im ordering everything this weekend, and will be doing the installs next weekend.

My RC 4.5" was fine for 32x11.5. Minor trimming should let you do 33's pretty easy, but bumpstops will be necessary. I need to do the bumpstops for mine. No vibes as my RC kit came with a 1" drop for the trans. Everything I read said anything above 4.5" and you need to do the SYE. I'll do the SYE later, and then I'll go a little higher, prob to 6"

slow down a little. if i were you i would look on craigslist. try and get a cheap used lift or buy lift parts and piece it together over the winter. remember tj front suspension components work. then when the winters over install the lift and get to wheelin.

the only way you are going to get were you want to be for 800 is buying used

the thing is, im a wheeler, and when i am given money that my wife will let me spend on this stuff, i want to get it going and done, before she changes her mind...

the other reason is i dont like to have long term projects... i like to buy what is necessary, and in a few weeks have everything installed and fabbed, regeard and ready to go.

im no fool, i know jeeps, and consider myself to be pretty well rounded in the realm of tjs etc.... ive built myself a tj and a cj so far...

im just giving enough info to get some quick feedback to see if anything given would change my mind on what im doing.

ive built a couple long arm kits before, and plan to do so on this eventually also, but with my shop being the great outdoors, and me having a broken foot.... im limited to very minor fab work for the next month or so.
but with my tj being sold and this new rig being something i want to pound on soon, im starting asap

RE6200 5.5" Extreme Duty kit
SYE + Driveshaft
AJ's super rails

It'll still need some trimming to completely stuff a 33, but not much.

Don't pay retail for the kit, pm a vendor or two. I gave $1k for my RE6200 3 years ago, it listed for 1400+ at the time.

Oh yeah, don't go more than 31" tire with the stock D35 axle. Even at that keep the wheeling light. A D44, or Fomoco 8.8 are good replacements. D44 is prefered, but harder to find.

Oh, just say no to Rusty's. You're wanting to go bigger than $800 budget. I took my time and collected the parts over 6 months, D44, gears, lift, SYE then Poof, bigger jeep in 1 weekend.

Last edited:
Back