• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Tell Your Parents That You're....

Just be calm and truthful. They may not be as upset as you think. In fact, they're probably sick of you and have been waiting for you to leave for years. You'll know for sure if after you move out, they suddenly relocate without leaving a forwarding address. ;)

My parents did that, when I left for boot camp. They never told me either till I came home on leave. Luckily they picked me up at the airport and took me to the new house :D

As for the girlfriend situation, hey - what do I know? Just try and be careful with people's feelings, try not to place unreasonable demands on yourself or others, and have fun.
Telling the folks you are moving out...
Well, I don't know if my situation applies too well. I did the college thing two years after graduation I moved back home for about 6 weeks trying to get my stuff together. Both times I moved out, there was plenty of lead-up for my mom to get adjusted.
I'd recommend telling them ASAP and see if you can frame it about the awesomeness of starting a life with your GF-maybe-someday-wife instead of "god, we just need a place I can get naked and walk around in!"
Also - be realistic about your finances. If you aren't working full time, it is going to be rough. I don't know what you do for work or what the cost of living is in the South (cheap, I imagine) but again and again, money becomes an issue. It isn't easy (for most of us) being young and out of the nest in a depression / recession.

I've seen too many of these situations not work out, statistically the odds are against the whole live together thing lasting long-term. If she is the one that you want to share everything in your life with, then why would you not want to make her your wife first?

meh. imho, you really should live together first. unless your stuck in some old school conservative situation that wont allow it, in which case your marriage was probably arranged from birth anyway and you'll just have to deal with it.

I agree, start making it akward at home.. walk around nekkid' take showers in your parents bathroom with your girlfriend.. Just start acting like you own the place, Maybe they will start helping you with an appartment search..

Oh, and the chick needs to move in with you first.. cause, well.. her dads a DB!

x50 on the money statements! Whew, it's rough. Start by finding out how much rent is and then start paying yourself rent (put it in savings account) for a while. add utility bills to it as well. And if you can go six months without dipping into any of it, you'll know for sure you've got the cash flow to do it and you'll have a decent reserve fund to pay for surprises. The annoyance of trying to keep quiet in the bedroom is not nearly annoying as dodging the landlord on rent day.

Be patient. TIME FLIES so don't be in a hurry to start piling up debt. But if you're anything like I was, you won't listen and you'll come back to this thread in a year and wish you'd listened! I wish I had.

Yea, both my kids moved out, both to go to college and move in with their boyfriend or girlfriend. It was heaven while it lasted, we actually had extra money. Had money to get new appliances, paint the whole downstairs, gut my sons room and redo it then they both moved back in. Not only did they move back in but they brought twice as much stuff as they left with. All the bills doubled, they were much cheaper when they were in diapers :D :D :D :D

If you're 22 and worried about what your parents will think of you when you take an adult step to live on your own, you're not ready to be an adult and live on your own.

I did a year of college living at home after high school, then enlisted and moved 700 miles away. I guess I have little sympathy for someone who is afraid of mommy crying when they pack up their nintendo.

I was paying 650 for rent 100 for electricity, 20 for gas, then if u want cable add that, then Internet and the cost to go was your clothes, add 300 a month for food, thats not even including the cell phone bill or car insurance/payment. Credit card bills ... Then going out $$... Let's just say I was making 1800 a month by myself and barely scraping by... I wasnt struggling but I didnt save any money either.

I didnt read every thing on here.

but if you are moving in with your GF, i have some wise advice...

keep it wrapped :D

Hate to break this to you, but your parents are going to miss you *and* feel some relief you are moving out. Sounds like they are good parents, so they will want what's best for you. And living with your parents as an adult is definitely *not* what is best for you.

Also, this will give your Mom some extra time & freedom to do those things she's been putting off while taking care of you.

Back