• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to convince parents...Help Please

get things like tow points and other things that are needed to go wheelin' and when tey let you or you are old enough to make decisions on your own you will have all the things necessary to go wheelin.

1. tow points
2. upgrae the healights with an H4 converison and a headlight upgrade
3. start to brace things like your steering box.
4. might as well start to shoot everything with some PB or WD-40 now so they will be easier to uninstall later.

Thanks for all the advice. I had to take the jeep to the shop today, brake pads were in need of replacement, and turns out tires needed replacing too. Since money is tight for both myself and the 'rents, we mutually agreed to wait to do the lift and put Goodyear Wrangler Radials (235x75x15) on instead. Got a great deal on the tires (Dad is good friends with the owner) and got them for about $75 a piece. While the jeep was up in the air I finally got a close look at the undercarriage and discovered I have the usual Dana 30 up front, and the Chrysler 8.25 in the back. During the tire and brake installation I was talking with my dad and he brought up the possibility of heading to the junkyard at the end of our street sometime and seeing if they had anything we could grab for cheap (again, Dad's good friends with the owner; guess I'm kinda glad he's got connections). Dad's good with mechanic work, and so I was wondering a few more things.

1) Pros/Cons of swapping out the 8.25 for a Dana 44
2) anything else to look for at the junkyard other than heftier bumpers, stuff for a possible bastard pack (what would be optimal springs/leafs to look for, etc.)
3) Pros/ Cons of installing a cold air intake
4) Any other tips you have for a rookie :)

Again, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For 235s, I wouldn't bother swapping axles. If you are actually off-roading this I would highly recommend starting with safety and recovery gear. Tow hooks in the front and a decent 2" receiver hitch in the rear. Sway bar disconnects will help articulation off-road and help make up for being at stock height. Wheel it like that and get some experience first, then lift and lock it later as you find you're reaching your limits.

That USNA wouldn't happen to be the US Naval Academy would it?

-Chris

Yea, the usna is for the united states naval academy, its been my screen name since 10th grade. I tried to get in twice, got the congressional nominations and everything, even got into West Point, but being from MD, i got screwed over. Turned down west point because I want to be a Marine, so now I'm applying for Platoon Leader's Course.

When my oldest was 18 he spun out a 87 Lincoln doing 5 over the limit around a curve. Wiped out a sign, dented the trunk 16", popped two tires off the rims.

When I was 18, I was racing my Dad's '66 Mustang convertible at 125mph down the main road going out of town. Like as not, your Dad was doing something like that, too. We all have.

So, advice about just stick 30" tires on it has a background story, just like trying to "convince" your parents. Umm, like father, like son, I just bet he'll eventually tell you about the stunts he pulled at your age - and doesn't want you to do the same. It was all based on the fact that young men age 16-24 have horrible risk assessment and decision making skills. It's a fact, and the insurance companies charge dearly because of it.

Now, had you saved up and bought the car, built it lifted, and had it parked in the yard before your 16th birthday, we might all have a different view. But like my brothers in law, it didn't help a bit - they both wrecked their '55 and '57 Chevy's.

There are no guarantees in this world. I wrecked my own '66 Stang more than once. "Speed costs money, how much can you afford" is more than a old cliche.

Honestly, just stick with 30" tires for now. I've got 30"s and a 2" RE lift on mine, and it goes everywhere I point it. The Cherokee (with decent tires) will go amaze you with how capable it is stock.

Learn to wheel it stock, then lift it. When you wheel a stocker, you have to learn to pick lines carefully and not bash and abuse the rig. Once your rig is lifted, these lessons carry through, and you'll be a better wheeler for it.

For a lift, go budget and simple for now. IF you can pick up some 98 ZJ Upcountry coils that should net about 1.5-2" up front. And, either a bastard pack or 2" springs in the rear. and good shackles.

Keep it stock. Keep the 8 1/4. Get some tow points. Enjoy wheeling it stock knowing that you are learning about your xj and it's strengths/weaknesses as well as your own.
Really want to convince your parents when you're ready to lift it?
Get a job if you don't already have one and pay for it yourself. Most parents are far more likely to give you some discretion if you are responsible enough to work to support your ideas.

Remove your swaybar when you go wheeling. Get 31's then learn from this site and build/install your own lift.
2-2.5" of lift will work well for awhile especially in local areas and clear those tires.

I had to sneak into our garage while the house was empty and install my lift after reading and seeing a lot about it.

im lucky that i started driving off road at a young age, 14. my gramps used to let me drive an old ass orange wrangler around his woods. then at 15 my dad taught me how to drive stick in his 911 turbo. at 16 i was racing that same 911 turbo around local tracks, and at auto x events. made me into a better driver, making it easier for my parents to trust me behind the wheel of a car. take your parents to off road events, show them you will wheel responsibly. i did the same thing but with my integra, its the only way they would let me modify it. at 16 i had built myself a 340hp 98 4dr acura integra with a fully tuned suspension. i told them it was for "track use". that car got me in alot of trouble.

get a job and pay for it on your own, show them you'll be responsible and you will take care of it if it breaks. they will let you do whatever you want.

Back