• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

Htown, thats a good question. I'm not sure what file I have, but I havn't messed with the firmware at all if that helps.

First off perfect build boostwerks!! ive been thinkin and planing a turbo build for a while now and you helped me with some bumps i came a cross like the tuning. this might be a stupid qus. but i live were the lovey emisson is a plug in, and was wondering if you are or did trip a SES light? some insight would be great
~thanks~

Thank you! We have the same emissions here where we're at. Our Rig was able to pass emissions even with the OBD2 plug in. Thats the beauty of the AEM piggyback. The Factory ECU has no idea it's even there, so there is no worry of a CEL. As long as the system is tuned properly there is no reason why it shouldn't pass emissions (assuming there is a cat and everything is working like it should).

Love the setup!

I've got a vortech V1 in mine and trying to tune it now. Do you mind sharing your Ignition, Maf, and fuel maps?

How do you wire in the AEM F/IC into the jumper harness? Are there instructions? Can you scan the manual?
harness004.jpg

I really want to see what this could do in a lightweight XJ (Chopped top *caged of course*, doorless, 2wd...) One hotrod badass!! If I win the lottery I'm doing the whole turbo setup and stroking it...until then I'll keep buying tickets :banghead:

How do you wire in the AEM F/IC into the jumper harness? Are there instructions? Can you scan the manual?

Hey Marty,

The Instructions are pretty clear on how to wire the unit but I posted my wiring specs a couple pages back in this thread. I list the AEM input along with it's corresponding ECU pinout that I either tapped or cut into. If you need any more info, just let me know. :)

I really want to see what this could do in a lightweight XJ (Chopped top *caged of course*, doorless, 2wd...) One hotrod badass!! If I win the lottery I'm doing the whole turbo setup and stroking it...until then I'll keep buying tickets

It can be done for less than you might think! I've been half tempted to build another jeep on the budget just to prove it. Hrmm.

Hey Marty,

The Instructions are pretty clear on how to wire the unit but I posted my wiring specs a couple pages back in this thread. I list the AEM input along with it's corresponding ECU pinout that I either tapped or cut into. If you need any more info, just let me know. :)

I can't find that page. Can you give me a link.

AEM doesn't make the jumper cable anymore. I bought a computer and harness and built my own. Not too hard to do. Just need the wiring diagram to splice in the AEM.

What size injectors did you use?

ECU pin location - Function

A2: Fused Ignition switch output (pos on)
A6: Ground
A8: Crankshaft position sensor signal (Hall Effect)
A18: Camshaft Position sensor signal (Hall Effect)
A23: Throttle position sensor signal
A24: Upstream O2
A25: Downstream O2
A27: MAP sensor signal
A32: Ground

B4: No. 1 Injector
B5: No. 3 Injector
B6: No. 5 Injector
B12: No. 6 Injector
B15: No. 2 Injector
B16: No. 4 Injector

I can't verify the pinout for other various years, but this is the pinout I used for my 99. I would double check your FSM if your year is different. Please don't assume the pinout is the same for you as it's very easy to fry either the ECU or FIC if wired incorrectly.

I used a 40lb Bosch Injector. Ford Racing PN:0 280 156 127
ATP-FUL-041_450.jpg

Thanks.

Last two questions.
1. Have you thought about modifying the motor mount- like moving it forward an inch or two or reducing the size of it by using a different motor mount? This would allow the turbo to move forward a bit to give more clearance for the exhaust downpipe and also give a straighter shot to the turbo intake.
2. This is what i was talking about as far as turbos, the newest line of BW turbos.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400209964393?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Built in wastegate and Bypass valve. Nice clean compact package.
Marty

Last two questions.
1. Have you thought about modifying the motor mount- like moving it forward an inch or two or reducing the size of it by using a different motor mount? This would allow the turbo to move forward a bit to give more clearance for the exhaust downpipe and also give a straighter shot to the turbo intake.
2. This is what i was talking about as far as turbos, the newest line of BW turbos.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400209964393?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Built in wastegate and Bypass valve. Nice clean compact package.
Marty

I have thought about modifying the mount but decided against it due to the amount of work involved as well as possibly putting more stress on the block. The biggest concern though was the clearance between the turbo and the upper control arm and drive shaft. There's a lot going on under there that had to be taken into account.

The new EFR Borg turbo's are fantastic! I don't know if they would fit our manifold though unfortunetly. Just keep in mind that for the price of an EFR you could get a good journal bearing turbo an external wastegate, and a bov with some $ to spare. To rock an EFR would be pretty sweet though and make plumbing a lot easier! :guitar:

I didn't realize that is was tight under the turbo.

It is not really that much more. By the time you buy parts- $650 turbo, $210 wastegate, $220 BOV, $120 WG piping your at $1200 and the EFR is $1500.
A big plus I see is the EFR wg will vent exhaust collect from all cylinders not just from the front 2 cylinders and the packaging.

If the small EFR turbo and your manifold fits- I'm in for one.

Boostwerks, what did you gap your plugs to? I've been having slight pre-ignition on my turbo 4.0l. I have stock plugs in it, so i got the NGK v-power's that you have. Im hoping it will solve the slight pinging. On other turbo vehicles i have gapped my plugs to .028, but i figured id ask you. thanks

Boostwerks, what did you gap your plugs to? I've been having slight pre-ignition on my turbo 4.0l. I have stock plugs in it, so i got the NGK v-power's that you have. Im hoping it will solve the slight pinging. On other turbo vehicles i have gapped my plugs to .028, but i figured id ask you. thanks

I honestly can't remember, but I just ran them at the "out of the box" gap. All I did was make sure they we're consistant. I wasn't worried so much about the gap with a colder plug and an upgraded ignition. I havn't had any misfires which would be the first clue that I needed to lower the gap.

That being said, you should definetly be running a colder plug. Preignition is almost a sure bet with the factory heat range. Gaping the plugs in this case only goes so far, and the plugs life span will be very short.

Back