• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

They don't have a direct plug in FIC for the cherokee. They do have a jumper harness however that allows you to make it plug and play. It's a little more work for you, but it's not hard at all.

Simply put... I love turbos. Super chargers are great and all, but they simply don't match a turbo in terms of efficiency and the overall fun factor. Also those of us that love turbos also love the fabrication involved to make it all work. If your looking for easy bolt on power, a supercharger might be best for you. However, if you like a challenge and the satisfaction you get from building your own system, a turbo is the only way to go. I could go on for days with the benefits a Turbo offer's over a supercharger but in the end, it's all up to you. :)

WELL SAID!!!!!

You are entirely correct that the Turbo is more efficient than a SuperCharger due to not using crank power to run it. Up to recently, all of my Forced Induction experience has been with Turbos. Experience dating back to 1974... And I also agree with you that any performance enhancements done are an individual's choice. Benefits to both types of systems.

My hats off to your fair assessment!

is there any way you could send me a screenshot or a copy of your maps or at least your O2 map i cant get mine dialed in and id like to see yours

I too like a turbo over a blower, but they aren't free horsepower. A guy on a Mopar board I am on Dynoed the turbo small block mopar for his race car. NA it made High 600s for horsepower with Dyno headers on it. He put all the turbo exhaust on it and ran it without the turbo and it cost 100hp due to all the plumbing, but putting the turbo on he came out with 1200HP on a 420cid engine. Just to show they aren't free HP but they are the most fun :D.

they are free horse power, meaning that they dont cost anything of the motor. they just use wasted energy. as opposed to superchargers that are belt driven and take power to run.

the only reason your friend saw a drop, was because of the restrictions to the intake and exhaust, not the turbo itself.

If you have a free meal, doesnt mean its gonna fill you up, unless you eat it. however if it just sits on the table and rots, its is still free.

there is no such thing as a free lunch. duh. econ 101 :roflmao:

True that. The restriction to exhaust gas flow caused by funky plumbing + an air compressor being run off the flow *does* cost power. Whether it comes off the crankshaft or the exhale, you get nothing free.

On topic of the turbo manifold...

Sick.

Also, I'm glad to see the site up and running. The girlfriend and I are taking on a 1957 Chevy Pickup, so it might be a while before I have Jeep funds, but the brake kit is sexy as all hell.

I just can't stay focused enough to get my project started. Working on my driver. Jeep is parked due to mechanical issues. Spending the summer camping and being with the family. Gym workouts every morning. Schools starts soon. Got to get focused.

bryson, whats ur intake air temp on average with this setup?

can you share your MAP voltage clamp and 02 maps? did you connect only the pre cat 02 sensor or both?

Web site looks great, some turbo-ed 4.0L dyno test results are great marketing tools........:thumbup:

Last edited:
Web site looks great, some turbo-ed 4.0L dyno test results are great marketing tools........:thumbup:

Thanks man.
I've got a to-do list a mile long, but it's on it. :cheers:

We did however get a chance to do some wheelin recently...

314900_10150302958176814_504736813_8608404_306999807_n.jpg

316696_10100140400942373_19214906_47103406_3025851_n.jpg

I think I read somewhere he's at full boost at 2600 rpm's? So I'm sure it starts spooling reaaal quick under load in crawl mode. So envious Bryson :)

How do you like the turbo for wheeling with? Do you ever manage to spool it at those speeds?

love it. The only time I hit boost is in 4HI going up a loose grade or plowing through a mud pool, so it's perfect. In 4 low it is almost impossible to build boost since there is very little load on the engine. Some would think that would be a bad thing, but A. I've never felt the need for more power in 4 Low and B. It would only lead to more breakage.

Dan, I do hit full boost around 2600 on average but that is only in 2HI on the street. Spool up is entirely load and gear dependant. For instance, cruising up a hill in over drive (60-70mph) I can hit 5-6lbs of boost at only 1800! :D

This question may have been asked, but do you ever have a problem with turbo lag and with the resultant surges? Seems like it would get a little harry on crawl if the boots suddenly shoots up and all you are trying to do is set up for the next rock.

This question may have been asked, but do you ever have a problem with turbo lag and with the resultant surges? Seems like it would get a little harry on crawl if the boots suddenly shoots up and all you are trying to do is set up for the next rock.

I very rarely see boost in 4low, so it's really not an issue. The only time it's helped thus far was our last snow wheeling trip a couple of weeks ago. I kept it in 4HI and allowed the turbo to maintain a high wheel speed to clean the tires. I managed to get to the top of the trail where my freinds with buggies on 37's and 40" MTR's were having trouble. It felt pretty good that my little XJ on 33's managed to get there.

316997_2515197643352_1355538426_32913926_1408381811_n.jpg

2011-10-08120408.jpg

2011-10-08102453.jpg

Been following this for awhile and am thinking about doing this to my 91 somehow. Whats the gas mileage like around town? On the freeway? Is it up or down from stock? I have been thinking of putting a 350sbc in mine to get better mileage as I used to get almost 20mpg in my 70 chevelle with 350hp and a holley 750 double pumper and a th350 tranny with 3.73gears on 26" tires and that car weighed more than my jeep does. If this can get my mpg up a little I might go this route as my current 10-15 mpg sucks.If I wanted that low mileage I would have stuck with my 78 chevy4x4 with 6" lift on 36" swampers,4speed and a 454 as it got around the same mpg around town and did way better offroad.

Been following this for awhile and am thinking about doing this to my 91 somehow. Whats the gas mileage like around town? On the freeway? Is it up or down from stock? I have been thinking of putting a 350sbc in mine to get better mileage as I used to get almost 20mpg in my 70 chevelle with 350hp and a holley 750 double pumper and a th350 tranny with 3.73gears on 26" tires and that car weighed more than my jeep does. If this can get my mpg up a little I might go this route as my current 10-15 mpg sucks.If I wanted that low mileage I would have stuck with my 78 chevy4x4 with 6" lift on 36" swampers,4speed and a 454 as it got around the same mpg around town and did way better offroad.

Yea gas mileage is a tricky one. I still have yet to figure why "taller gears gives u worse mpg". Ever notice how all the new cars still suck on gas mileage compared to the 80's? Like no improvement, just more 4 cylinder cars. I get better mileage than both my parents cars in my 87 xj. My mom don't beleive me either.

Back