• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How necessary are the drop bracket support braces?

bumpin this back up, those of you who put the support braces on, how did you get It to sit flush with the drop brackets, theres that nose on the back of the original lower control arm spot...did you Just grind It flat?

XJ99 said:
bumpin this back up, those of you who put the support braces on, how did you get It to sit flush with the drop brackets, theres that nose on the back of the original lower control arm spot...did you Just grind It flat?

Yes, just grind or cut that off and you should be good to go.

Okie Terry said:
If you're handy with a saw and a welder, you could make some tube braces.

Hey Terry,
You wouldn't have a pic of the tube support for the drop brackets would you ? I think I know what your talking about. Just cut a 45 at both ends and weld one end to the bracket and one to the uni-frame, but wondered if you had a visual.
Thanks

boise49ers said:
Hey Terry,
You wouldn't have a pic of the tube support for the drop brackets would you ? I think I know what your talking about. Just cut a 45 at both ends and weld one end to the bracket and one to the uni-frame, but wondered if you had a visual.
Thanks
That's the way it looks in my head, as well.
But, I wouldn't weld the tube directly to the frame.
Instead I'd weld them to some angle or c-channel and then weld it to the frame or make it bolt through with some sleeves inside the frame.
May be a good time to sleeve the frame while you're at it.

I just started putting the RE braces on last night, I am incorpersting them into sleaves I am making.
I should have put them on yeats ago!
The drivers side frame rail was WAY out of whack!
I had to use a come along and a floor jack to get everything in there straight and tight!

olivedrabcj7 said:
Ive had drop brackets for almost a year and no braces on them. Ive wheeled this thing kinda hard too. Ive run most 4's and a couple 5's at superlift and I have had no problems with bending or anything. Ive had people watch the brackets as I come down on them and all kinds of stuff and so far no bending. I'm not convinced of the need for them. So until I start seeing proof of them rip control arm mounts off the frame, im going to go without them.

NAXJA Member #1384
as you can see my drop brackets are bent all to shit, as are my stock control arms

Which one is it?

Back