• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How about some handgun recommendations

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
Things I've shot and my thoughts so far:

Glock - meh. It's a Glock. Don't like the grip angle. Shot a compact .40, the 22 model IIRC. It's alright. Don't like the DAO, especially that lame trigger safety.

XD .40 - Looooved the feel of it, and my only complaint is the Glocktastic trigger safety. Accurate, lightweight, but kind of bulky. Price is definitely right, though.

SIG P6 - Amazing. Dead accurate, and it was an old retired, very worn weapon. Low mag cap, but overall a great shoot. Used ones go for a good price, but I'm skeptical buying a used weapon, especially since that one was really, really dirty.

S&W M&P .40 - hated it. Shit trigger and just felt really cheap. I could hear the slide racking on recoil, and that really worried me.

Things I plan to try soon:

HK USP - held one but never fired. Feels good, but the price is right up there with a new SIG.

FN FNP-9 - great reviews, has the option of single action (which is what I really want), inexpensive, comes with three 16rd mags, case, cleaning equipment and speed loader. However, decocker looks like it's going to slam fire every time it's used. It drops the hammer HARD.

And, of course, a 1911. Do want. Do want, indeed. But, prices are nuts on these, so it's a bit out of reach.

Supposedly a guy I've spoken with got an HK USP .45 for $550 w/ 2 mags and a case at a gun show. There's a show coming up here on the 12th and 13th, think this price is legit? If so, I'm going to be all over it.

Recommend me something, or just talk in general about what I've said.

TIA

Oh, and since I've mentioned a used gun, how do you guys feel about used guns? I saw a used Kimber Eclipse a few weeks ago for $625 and I'm still kinda mad I didn't just grab it while it was there.

I have the M&P 9mm (with .40 conversion), and the XD40.

I like the Comfort of the M&P.. i like the accuracy of the XD... I, like you hated the angle of the Glock so thats why i don't own one. The Sig P6 is just too old and worn for all the ones ive found for a fair price.... Next on my list is the Sig P226 but its pricey. Didn't like the Inside slide (too narrow to grip) of the CZ lineup. Buddy has the HK and i really like it but for the $$$ id rather have the Sig 226...

As for used... both my MP and XD are used... and very well cared for.... seems a lot of people buy before they try, fire 1-300 rounds and then decide to sell. Then you get to save the $$$ from Tax. If I see the firearm in person i can decide its condition and value.. if its worth it, i'll snag it up.

OH!!!!!! and tomorrow in South Carolina its "Tax Free on guns Black Friday!"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,458225,00.html
Yeah, I saw that, but I'm trying not to rush into this. The tax free thing is Fri and Sat, so we'll see. If I had my mind made up I'd definitely be buying one then, but I still just don't know which I want. :(

I can't believe I forgot the CZs. I held a 75B and it was nice. It was heavy and had a really sturdy feel to it. Lots of people say they're great, so I guess I'll have to have some range time with one at some point.

Like an old Browning? Those are almost $800, aren't they?

1911 that is a core gun every handgun owner should have. Also a Hi-power is another very good model.

the Rock Island 1911's are a great bang for the buck! and the beauty of the 1911's is that you can build it up piece by piece to make anything you want.

Really!

JOe

My dad's got the RIA 1911a1 model.. had it about 6 months, bought new for $425. Its currently stock (except grips)... The first 200 rounds it was picky on what you fed it... it did not like the Brass Blazers... but would fire every one of the Winchester White Box... the Trigger is kinda long but it is smooth... it was a bit grainy for the first 1000 rounds or so... now it has about 3k through it and although long, its butter smooth.

Your not getting "Kimber" quality... BUT!!!! there is a local guy with his pretty tricked out and you would never know it was a RIA... he could have purchased a nice SA or Kimber or possibly a Baer for the price he has into the RIA by now BUT, he was on a budget and was able to do it little by little and has made it "His" 1911... shoots beautifully.

JOe

I've heard about those and read a few articles giving mixed reviews. Have you had any hands-on time or anything with it?

I've got a friend who has had a few. Usually does a few things to them and sells to other friends. Fluff and buff with Harbor Freight diamond files, drop in a couple of components (swap to known quality springs) and you've got a pretty reliable piece for under $500.

Oh, and grip angle is a poor excuse. ;)

Something to consider: what caliber do you want? You mention that you don't think you can afford a hi-power, but you can justify a 1911. Have you seen the price of .45?

Look around and look in the used cases too, a colt 1911 is an investment, thats pretty much my preference, mainly gold cups, I'm looking at a used officers model now, $550 and by the wear at the end of the barrel I *might* have had 5 rounds put thru it :D .....
I also like the springfields, they make a nice short concealable 1911, only really needs to have the ejection port opened a bit and the ramp done to feed almost anything and if your hands are on the large size a pinky extension set of mags will help....
As far as any of my colts, I have never found anything that won't feed, all the way from ball to SWC's.

You can buy a quality 1911 for the money you want to spend.

Springfield 1911 4" barrel, part number PW9142LP
or in a 3" compact PW9801LP

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97691977...pringfield_1911_GI_Champ_4_PW9142LP_45_AC.htm

Link provided just to show example price. I was going to buy the parkerized 3" before I splurged on the kimber. Your local springfield dealer should be able to order you one and the retail price is only $619, so you can get a better deal than that if you shop around.

They don't come with a ton of options, but you do get a 1911 that shoots well right out of the box.

.45 > 9mm though

Food for thought. You want a commuter car or a Kenworth? Of course the Kenworth costs more, it does a different job.
Not quite accurate comparison. The .45 and the 9mm do the same job. The .45 just does it better. It would be more like,....

Buying a Honda Accord, or a new Dodge Challenger?

(I think the S&W 500 or those monsters they make that fire the 45-70 would be the Kenworth)

Not quite accurate comparison. The .45 and the 9mm do the same job. The .45 just does it better. It would be more like,....

Buying a Honda Accord, or a new Dodge Challenger?

(I think the S&W 500 or those monsters they make that fire the 45-70 would be the Kenworth)

Yeah the idea was there... ;) You had a better relevant comparison though.

My dad's got the RIA 1911a1 model.. had it about 6 months, bought new for $425. Its currently stock (except grips)... The first 200 rounds it was picky on what you fed it... it did not like the Brass Blazers... but would fire every one of the Winchester White Box... the Trigger is kinda long but it is smooth... it was a bit grainy for the first 1000 rounds or so... now it has about 3k through it and although long, its butter smooth.

Your not getting "Kimber" quality... BUT!!!! there is a local guy with his pretty tricked out and you would never know it was a RIA... he could have purchased a nice SA or Kimber or possibly a Baer for the price he has into the RIA by now BUT, he was on a budget and was able to do it little by little and has made it "His" 1911... shoots beautifully.

JOe
Yeah I've considered doing the build-as-you-go thing, but I think since this will be my first gun I might wait on that.

I've got a friend who has had a few. Usually does a few things to them and sells to other friends. Fluff and buff with Harbor Freight diamond files, drop in a couple of components (swap to known quality springs) and you've got a pretty reliable piece for under $500.

Oh, and grip angle is a poor excuse. ;)
I was waiting on you to chime in on this. I know grip angle is a poor excuse, but if I don't like the feel of it I don't really want to shoot it all that much. To each his own I guess. You definitely seem to be a Glock fan.

Have you looked at the Walther P99?
In passing. They don't really pique my interest.

Something to consider: what caliber do you want? You mention that you don't think you can afford a hi-power, but you can justify a 1911. Have you seen the price of .45?

I justify the 1911 because if I'm going to spend that much money, I'll get a 1911 and not a Hi-Power. Hi-Powers are great guns, but I'm not going to buy one because I'd much rather have a 1911.

And yes, I have seen the price of .45. It's more than 9mm, that's for sure.
.45 > 9mm though

Food for thought. You want a commuter car or a Kenworth? Of course the Kenworth costs more, it does a different job.
I don't think if I have to use it the dude on the business end is going to ask if I was using 9mm hollow's or .45s if he's just laying there bleeding or dead. ;)

Look around and look in the used cases too, a colt 1911 is an investment, thats pretty much my preference, mainly gold cups, I'm looking at a used officers model now, $550 and by the wear at the end of the barrel I *might* have had 5 rounds put thru it :D .....
I also like the springfields, they make a nice short concealable 1911, only really needs to have the ejection port opened a bit and the ramp done to feed almost anything and if your hands are on the large size a pinky extension set of mags will help....
As far as any of my colts, I have never found anything that won't feed, all the way from ball to SWC's.
That's good info. I appreciate it.

You can buy a quality 1911 for the money you want to spend.

Springfield 1911 4" barrel, part number PW9142LP
or in a 3" compact PW9801LP

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97691977...pringfield_1911_GI_Champ_4_PW9142LP_45_AC.htm

Link provided just to show example price. I was going to buy the parkerized 3" before I splurged on the kimber. Your local springfield dealer should be able to order you one and the retail price is only $619, so you can get a better deal than that if you shop around.

They don't come with a ton of options, but you do get a 1911 that shoots well right out of the box.
Also good info, thanks. :thumbup:

Ideally I'm looking for a 9mm: JHPs for carry, and throw away Federals for the range. It's cheap and does it's job, so I'll get to use it more.

Keep the ideas rolling if you've got 'em. Thanks, everyone :wave:

I was waiting on you to chime in on this. I know grip angle is a poor excuse, but if I don't like the feel of it I don't really want to shoot it all that much. To each his own I guess. You definitely seem to be a Glock fan.

I have large hands, so everything works for me. Grip 'angle' is different than grip 'size'. Double stack handguns don't always work for someone with small hands. It's not just the two-hand grab, think of the single hand "OMFG SHTF" grip. Your strong hand is injured during a defensive situation, you need to shoot one-handed with the other. Is it going to be held securely or are you going to have issues? In the heat of battle isn't the place to find out. :) Angle is easy to adapt to, however.

I don't think if I have to use it the dude on the business end is going to ask if I was using 9mm hollow's or .45s if he's just laying there bleeding or dead. ;)
Right, he's not. I half-assed that thought and didn't finish. Cost shouldn't be the thing keeping your from using a particular, practical caliber. .22 conversions can be had for many different firearms and it helps with the trigger practice for cheap. If you've got the space and the means, you might consider reloading. Good buddy of mine loads .45 ACP for half of what you can buy it for in bulk, commercial reload form. 9mm is so cheap though that it's not worth his time to reload (but he still saves the brass!). The press paid for itself quickly. Another thing to consider is a 9mm range gun for practice and a .45 in the same platform. I know a lot of folks who do that, too. It's the feel and trigger muscle memory you're really after during training...not the 'recoil'.

Back