• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High steer clearance issues.

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
Attempting to add a High steer system to my narrowed Ford HP D44. The objective is to end up with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Started out with a set of flat top knuckles ( Mid-70's Chevy).

Rotors and Hubs are from a 90 Ford Bronco/F150 axle.

Caliper Brackets are from a 76 Chevy K10, at least that's the way it was marked in the junkyard.

Small bearing Chevy Spindles.

So I start bolting everything together and the rotor gets pushed right up against the caliper bracket.
Since a pic is worth a long-winded post.....

dvndj5.jpg

16kz6ds.jpg

24bowpi.jpg

n657d5.jpg

2u4o3mx.jpg

So WTH am I doing wrong?

I'd really like to get this project finished so I can actually wheel my junk once this year.....:shaking:

Anyone care to take a stab at this?

I have all of the exact same stuff... Spindle, rotors, and I'm pretty sure the Wagoneer Caliper brackets that I used are the exact same. I have .25" of clearance there. I too would have to agree with the incorrect inner wheel bearing.

I used inners from a 85 F-150.

Same ones that were in the hubs when I got 'em.

Try using the chevy bearings and see where that gets you, diameter of the bearings are the same but maybe the height of them is slightly different?

I gues I missed some info somewhere. Wasn't aware that the bearings were different. You guys have a bearing number so I can go shopping?

Honestly man, I'm just throwing ideas out there. In this case it looks like the bearings could be the wrong ones... Check out mr. N's Dana 44 tech.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html
Scroll to the bottom for bearing part numbers and such. Good luck!

IIRC, cracker had this issue (he was using the same parts you are using) maybe PM to see what he did to reslove this?

Inner 603049/603010 outer 501349/501310. I just finished mine this weekend it gets installed this coming weekend.

Oe numbers for ford and chevy small bearing. I run ford hubs on chevy small bearing spindles with chevy caliper brackets. I have noninterference issues at all.

I had the same issue. The previous owner thought he could just cut\bend the brake bracket to make it work. Well that didn't work out good at all!!!!!

The problem ended up being a wrong spindle\short shaft. Got the right ones and works great!

Back