• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello, and help me decide...?

For suspension, do the RE 4.5 with Bilstein 5125 shocks and never look at your suspension again.

As far as wheeling goes, look into T-case, and gas tank skids and also...buy rock sliders (they get used a lot in the PNW). Good luck with your rig, sounds like your on the right track.

~Scott

P.S. I have an '89 with a RC 3" lift (bastarded it to 4") with bilsteins up front, and full armor...if I could have done it again, I'd a done RE 4.5 with bilsteins and an SYE.

For suspension, do the RE 4.5 with Bilstein 5125 shocks and never look at your suspension again.

As far as wheeling goes, look into T-case, and gas tank skids and also...buy rock sliders (they get used a lot in the PNW). Good luck with your rig, sounds like your on the right track.

~Scott

P.S. I have an '89 with a RC 3" lift (bastarded it to 4") with bilsteins up front, and full armor...if I could have done it again, I'd a done RE 4.5 with bilsteins and an SYE.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking to hear. Thanks for the advice. What tires are you running with that setup? can you clear 33's? I guess I'm not entirely set that I need 33's, just seems that it's kinda minimum-ante' for some trails I've run with friends in the past. Or at least it makes things ALOT easier so you can worry about the scaier stuff.

I'm actually looking at picking up rockrails at the same time as my lift for sure, if not making my own. Definately don't want to pin a door shut my first time out... perhaps I'll hookup with some of the locals on sunday up towards north bend there and see what theirs are made of and how and perhaps try to fab some up myself as my first homebrew project.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking to hear. Thanks for the advice. What tires are you running with that setup? can you clear 33's? I guess I'm not entirely set that I need 33's, just seems that it's kinda minimum-ante' for some trails I've run with friends in the past. Or at least it makes things ALOT easier so you can worry about the scaier stuff.

I'm actually looking at picking up rockrails at the same time as my lift for sure, if not making my own. Definately don't want to pin a door shut my first time out... perhaps I'll hookup with some of the locals on sunday up towards north bend there and see what theirs are made of and how and perhaps try to fab some up myself as my first homebrew project.

If I were to start over again with a retail kit I would go with the RE 4.5" over the 3.5" it comes with a lot more than the 3.5" kit.

AJ's makes some pretty durn good rock rails based on the feedback around here, if you don't want to take the time and effort to build a pair.

And yes, 33"s will easily clear with 4.5" lift, they'll clear with a little wheelwell trimming at 3.5" lift.

AJ's makes some pretty durn good rock rails based on the feedback around here, if you don't want to take the time and effort to build a pair.

And yes, 33"s will easily clear with 4.5" lift, they'll clear with a little wheelwell trimming at 3.5" lift.

The 4.5" kit comes with upper and lower CAs, Extended front brake hoses, and a trackbar. Pretty good for a little less than 300 more

I noticed that about the extras with the 4.5" lift, all things I would likely order anyways, was almost considering doing the 4.5 kit with shorter springs and no drop shackle, but who am I kidding, I'm sure I can make use of an extra inch. ;)

Right now I'm working out picking up some lightly used tires as well as looking into getting setup with locked and geared burlier axles. The lift kit'll be ordered early next week I think. YAY newtoys! the rails I might try to build just 'cause I've got a friend with a bicycle framebuilding company who owes me some favors and money saved on essentials is money for other goodies...

I noticed that about the extras with the 4.5" lift, all things I would likely order anyways, was almost considering doing the 4.5 kit with shorter springs and no drop shackle, but who am I kidding, I'm sure I can make use of an extra inch. ;)

Right now I'm working out picking up some lightly used tires as well as looking into getting setup with locked and geared burlier axles. The lift kit'll be ordered early next week I think. YAY newtoys! the rails I might try to build just 'cause I've got a friend with a bicycle framebuilding company who owes me some favors and money saved on essentials is money for other goodies...

Dana 30 should be fine, I would try and grab a 4.10 D30 and 8.25 those would be a good starting point for <33" tires

Rock Rails:

Whether Built or Bought...

Get or make an Extended set that have better Body/door protection.

If I were to start over again with a retail kit I would go with the RE 4.5" over the 3.5" it comes with a lot more than the 3.5" kit.

The 4.5" kit comes with upper and lower CAs, Extended front brake hoses, and a trackbar. Pretty good for a little less than 300 more

After selling many kits from RE and other manufacturers I've become very familiar with the offerings. The problems I've found with the 4.5" are that half-assed adjustable trackbar that comes with it...and the fact that 4.5" sits over 5" when installed, making the control arm angles SUCK. The 'deal' end of it looks appealing with more stuff that they include, but you can do better using a 3.5" (RE6030) kit and adding things to it. The 4.5" uses a 3.5" leaf with a 1.25" shackle...where the 3.5" uses a 3.5" leaf and stock shackle. There are other manufacturers (like JKS) who make better trackbars than come in that 4.5" kit. If you're willing to trim, you can fit 32 or 33" tires on, but beware that you're going to lose power with that tire size. You might actually find yourself hammering harder on the throttle than you need to in order to make it over obstacles. If you're relatively new to wheeling, I recommend a 3.5" RE6030 with OME long-travel shocks...and run 31" tires until they wear out. The 3.5" can be upgraded easier to a longarm upgrade from someone like RE or Clayton, a 1.5" shackle in back, conservative block (1-1.5") or new spring perches, and longer coils up front (or even JKS ACOS). Get some longer shocks and a SYE and you'll still have a good setup without sacrificing your kit or 'rigging' anything up.

Call me Monday before 2pm and I will gladly go over stuff with you. I'm at Central 4 Wheel Drive in Kent. 253-872-7334. Ask for Phil. ;)

Back