• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello All

SyntheticShield

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently purchased a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, for my wife mainly, but I'll be the one taking care of it and doing all the maintenance on it. I might even 'tweak' it a little.

Its a 4-door, 2WD, 4.0L I6 and I believe a Dana 35 rear end (not 100% on that yet). It has a 175,000 miles on the clock and I bought it with a 0 mile newly rebuild AW4 transmission. With the reliability track record of the 4.0L I think Im set for a while.

I own two other vehicles at the moment. One is a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo that we just recently purchased for me to drive back and forth to work and just a general back up vehicle. My other vehicle is my baby, a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I currently have it parked in the garage and up on jack stands to pull out the engine and tranny once it gets a bit warmer so that I can build up the transmission for some track duty and modify the engine a bit.

I live in Oklahoma by the way.

The Jeep needs a little attention in the way of a good interior cleaning. It has a popping noise when turning which I have been told is likely the track bar or the track bar bracket. I did a tune up on it as soon as I pulled it into the driveway. I yet need to change out the rear end gear oil.

Anyway, guess thats about it for now. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

welcome, stay a while and remember if you have a question about something, use the SEARCH feature first and if that does not work, ask :D

Thank you. I think I will be around for a while. And I have been crusin' around the board for the past day or so just looking for stuff.

If I may ask, how many other XJ owners are in my area? I live Bartlesville, OK. Even though it is the wifes vehicle it needs a few little things here and there and I would surely love to learn from others that have been there done that.

Also, I dont see it specifically listed, but is there an area or something like that that has How To's and so forth? I am no stranger to turning wrenches and dont mind getting dirty. Are there any particular weak spots with the vehicle I should be checking or something I could get the jump on to make sure that it remains a good vehicle for some time to come?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure everything is up to speed then start looking at any improvements that I can make.

as of right now your a forum user but if you become a paying member (which is worth every penny!) you will be able to access and post in the other forums. We have OEM tech, mod tech, advanced engineering just to name a few.

The cost of a one year membership is less then one hour of labor from about any mechanic. Trust me, you will save yourself many $$$ from the advice you can pick up on here. That is my $.02

Also, as far as being in Oklahoma, I think that the Red River Chapter is associated with all or part of Oklahoma. There are some good guys down there. Check them out.

Back