• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heads up on a winch

ECKSJAY said:
Michael, I think you missed the point of the conversation before you even started. :wave:

Probably, I am good like that :wow:

Avanteone said:
Even if Warn's components aren't made here, they are a local company and support local clubs, wheeling areas, etc. I am a firm believer in Warn even /w the issues Matt's been having. My first winch was an XD9000i purchased in 1996 or so.... I had to replace the motor once and the solenoid pack once in the 11 years I owned it, and it worked great when I sold it last year... I just wanted a newer version and went /w the 9.5ti. As far as Matt's goes, I know he had a bad solenoid pack once, I think his current problem is more /w the connections inside the motor, but honestly we just haven't had a chance to tear it down again and mess with it.

My vote is and always will be for Warn.

I agree. I also suspect that if you lived on the East Coast you would still vote for a Warn.

If I was to purchase another new winch it would be a Warn also (even if they won't buy my parts :mad: )

Michael

2xtreme said:
(even if they won't buy my parts :mad: )

Michael

Is this from a strictly sales perspective or do you have something legitimately better than what they're using? Are the contactors you have compatible with theirs? Any marine grade stuff available? I've even debated going to a MOSFET control box to eliminate the need for them altogether.

I'm not trying to stir anything with the parts questions...I'm always willing to upgrade junk. :D

ECKSJAY said:
Is this from a strictly sales perspective or do you have something legitimately better than what they're using? Are the contactors you have compatible with theirs? Any marine grade stuff available? I've even debated going to a MOSFET control box to eliminate the need for them altogether.

I'm not trying to stir anything with the parts questions...I'm always willing to upgrade junk. :D

Off the shelf we (and several others) do have several direct replacement contactors for these winches, ours are much higher quality and would have a much better quality record than what Warn currently uses. They are significantly more expensive than what Warn pay's currently.

A solid state control box (with the use of mosfets) would be another good way of going (we build these also). But with the limited amount of "control" that these utilize there probably wouldn't be any significant advantage from a cost, reliability, or quality stand point. Particularly to stand up to the environment that these often see.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Off the shelf we (and several others) do have several direct replacement contactors for these winches, ours are much higher quality and would have a much better quality record than what Warn currently uses. They are significantly more expensive than what Warn pay's currently.

A solid state control box (with the use of mosfets) would be another good way of going (we build these also). But with the limited amount of "control" that these utilize there probably wouldn't be any significant advantage from a cost, reliability, or quality stand point. Particularly to stand up to the environment that these often see.

Michael
Is it possible to buy your contactors and do the upgrade?

DrSockMonkey said:
Is it possible to buy your contactors and do the upgrade?

I will do some research. We don't sell retail however I might be able to either make an exception or get you a distributor that could.

Michael

Avanteone said:
No shit, that's what I'm afraid of. $25K buy-in or something :) hahaha

I have already put the bug in the ear of the right person. Let me see what interest I get. $25K would just be the first months order right :laugh:

Michael

Heck the warn I HAD worked great the 20 or so times I used it, several times
at full pull. 'Till some crackhead stole it off the front of my rig. :(
I only used on myself once though. So now I am saving up the doh for
another one, (and YES I am welding the bolts on this time!)

Back