• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heads up on a winch

juniorXJ said:
i just want a warn couse i buy NW if at all possible.

Because soooooooo many of these parts that they assemble come from the the North West :gag: or the United States :gag: or anywhere other than China, Korea, etc.....hasta

Michael

Regardless, Warns have proven reliable over the years when compared to other usually cheaper winches.

If the best winch were made in China, I'd consider buying it.

2xtreme said:
Because soooooooo many of these parts that they assemble come from the the North West :gag: or the United States :gag: or anywhere other than China, Korea, etc.....hasta

Michael

Just like most anything anymore. I think the point was that Warn is a NW company and their stuff is assembled here. Going by parts/materials arguments, all of us support foreign economies with purchase of our tires. ;)

I am only point out the obvious that is that even if the parts are assembled in the US or the North West, the bulk of these parts are still coming from Asia.

What Warn has done better than most other winch manufactures is to control their IP for parts that come from Asia and keep their quality control consistently good.

The typical argument to purchase local is to reduce transportation costs (use of gas/oil). To make this argument with a winch from the North West is a poor argument when all the parts come from the same places that go into all other brands of winches.

FWIW, I have a Ramsey, it was cheap (used), heavy, slow, and has never let me down. I have seen on the trail just as many Warn's let people down than any other winch manufacture and the vast majority of this is totally due to maintenance and instalation of the winch not due to the operation of the winch.

Michael

ECKSJAY said:
Going by parts/materials arguments, all of us support foreign economies with purchase of our tires. ;)

My re-treads were made right here in the USA.
My current Swampers were molded here in the USA, and the company I purchsed them through has stores here in the North West that hires local people. :cheers:

I am not argueing with the point that many parts come from over sees and that in some cases it is nearly impossible to get parts locally. I am mearly pointing out that if a part is assembled in the USA or NW it is a VERY small part of the manufacturing process and a VERY small part of the number of employees of the entire system.

Michael

2xtreme said:
My re-treads were made right here in the USA.
My current Swampers were molded here in the USA, and the company I purchsed them through has stores here in the North West that hires local people. :cheers:

Where did the rubber come from? ;)

ECKSJAY said:

I believe it most likely came from Japan. Last I remember Sumitomo pretty much had the bulk of rubber manufacturing. I am not certain that this is still the case, but not unlikely.
If you want to continue this arguement, my re-treads would typically be considered scrap before I bought them and all of the manufacturing for these was done in the US, the transporting of them to me was done by a US company, in the US, and I installed them and balanced them right here in the NW ;).

IXNAYXJ said:
I have a hard time with this deabte, as my Warn has failed three times now. Not typical, but also not totally unheard of.
What were the three failures and were they maintenance, instalation or manufacturing or worn out parts?

Michael

ECKSJAY said:

I believe there is a city / area in Brazil that Henry Ford bought in an effort to control the materials sourcing from top to bottom.... Seems that the people down there got tired of the control being excercised on thier territory.... They "rebeled"... Sound like damn yankees to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordlandia

2xtreme said:
What were the three failures and were they maintenance, instalation or manufacturing or worn out parts?

Michael
I was okay with the first failure because I had a habit of driving through water. The last two have been soloniod issues, and I've only gotten a dozen pulls out of each new pack.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
I was okay with the first failure because I had a habit of driving through water. The last two have been soloniod issues, and I've only gotten a dozen pulls out of each new pack.

-----Matt-----

I find that REALLY interesting since I have been trying to sell Warn my line of contactors (what many people call solenoids) and they purchase theirs from a VERY cheap source that I just can't compete with. I assume you carry spares :roflmao:

Michael

IXNAYXJ said:
No, my winch simply doesn't work. I'm working on getting a replacement before NWFest...but the wheels turn slowly.

-----Matt-----

I will gladly take the scrap. ;) Then I can call it a complete NW winch. :roflmao:

IXNAYXJ said:

2xtreme said:
If you want to continue this arguement, my re-treads would typically be considered scrap before I bought them and all of the manufacturing for these was done in the US, the transporting of them to me was done by a US company, in the US, and I installed them and balanced them right here in the NW ;).

Just sayin'...

ECKSJAY said:
I will gladly take the scrap. ;) Then I can call it a complete NW winch. :roflmao:

I guess that would depend where you get a new motor and contactors from :shhh: (assuming these are the most likely problems).

Motors I believe would come from Mexico and the closest place to get contactors would be the Mid West :shhh:

Good Luck with that Phil :jester: On the other hand, since your tires came from where?....... It really doesn't matter huh :)

Michael

IXNAYXJ said:
Ah.

Speaking of the NW, you coming to NWFest?

-----Matt-----
Nothing has changed from my initial post in the NWFest announcement thread. Something about a mall opening or something... I think it was more of a photo shoot out of town.

I hope it's not flooded out there when you guys go. River levels are going up to flood stages this week with the pack melting. :jester:

Michael, I think you missed the point of the conversation before you even started. :wave:

Even if Warn's components aren't made here, they are a local company and support local clubs, wheeling areas, etc. I am a firm believer in Warn even /w the issues Matt's been having. My first winch was an XD9000i purchased in 1996 or so.... I had to replace the motor once and the solenoid pack once in the 11 years I owned it, and it worked great when I sold it last year... I just wanted a newer version and went /w the 9.5ti. As far as Matt's goes, I know he had a bad solenoid pack once, I think his current problem is more /w the connections inside the motor, but honestly we just haven't had a chance to tear it down again and mess with it.

My vote is and always will be for Warn.

J

Back