• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Material

You'll have to use a thinner material or the visor clamshell will not snap shut. The standard headliner fabric works well.

1. I used a flat screwdriver and a pocket knife to gently pry where you see the fabric tucked in around the edge of the visor. It popped open. Then popped out the mirror assembly, careful not to press on the mirror glass. It may be easier if you rip off the old material before trying to open the visor. That way you can get to all of the snaps to release them with a screwdriver. Less chance to break them.

2. Peel off the old material, clean off the foam.

3. Cut a new piece of material that will wrap around the outer surface of the visor with about an inch of overhang in all direction.

4. Spray the 3M on the open clamshell and lay it on the material. Press the material smoothly onto the shell. Leave a little slack in the material at the hinge area, so it doesn't stretch to tight when closed.

5. Cut out the mirror hole leaving about 1/8" overhang and reinstall the mirror assembly.

6. Wrap the overhanging material around the edges of the clamshell and close the clamshell. Make sure everything is tucked in before snapping it closed. You may have to trim the material away from the snap sections so they can lock.

I had never done this before and it took me about 2 hrs to do both. And I had to re-cover the mirror doors too since they were fabric covered (Grand Wagoneer, but same type of visor). Newer XJs should be easier since they have plastic mirror doors.

I know its old, but this is great information!

Thanks!

just installed the light grey headliner from WLS headliners today, easy install and not much skill required to do it. ony recomendation to people that re anal about making that headliner sticks, get another can of spray adhesive,i went through about 1.5 cans, could be a little overkill, but im anal and dont want it coming off.

Another tip. Lay the headliner material very lightly onto the board. It will stick. Don't feel compelled to press it down hard ... you'll end up with hand prints or other indentations on the material. Spread it using a very light touch.

My MJ was missing the liner when I bought it, so I grabbed one at the junkyard. It was missing the fabric (beggars can't be choosers), so I got some fabric on sale at Johans fabric for $1.99/yd. It looked just like like the material used for thermal underwear in a medium grey. It was slightly stretchy which really helped for the corners. A little work with a scrub brush took off the remaining foam and 3M 77 spray stuck the new stuff on. I used some glue and fiberglass tape to strengthen the backing where it had cracked. It came out looking really nice.

I stuck a few 1-ft square of imitation dyno-mat to the roof before I put the liner back up. Not sure if it helped, but just putting a liner in made a huge difference. No more frost dripping on my head on those cold mornings. :}

I went to the junkyard and stumbled across an XJ that had a dark gray tweed headliner with a flame template in it.

Got it for 10 bucks. Hit the yard find an XJ with a good headliner. Best way to do it.

Back