• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers - Are they worth it?

Has anyone replaced the manifold with a header on a 2000 up XJ? The one with the pre-cats. I am looking at Banks the only one I know of that makes one for the 2000 up models.

hemihead said:
Has anyone replaced the manifold with a header on a 2000 up XJ? The one with the pre-cats. I am looking at Banks the only one I know of that makes one for the 2000 up models.

I have a 2000. I was looking at replacing my header, right as i was cursing having to replace those 4 02 sensors. So my thoughts were- can I replace this header and get rid of the pre-cats, what whould I do with the O2 sensors and why do they put another cat down stream and not monitor it? I haven't looked at the Banks system yet... Sorry to tangent

MIne was cracked and i put in a Pacesetter. I like how it keeps three pipes sperate from the other three. Where they join together and make a Y looked great. From that point on, their setup was too generous on lost space. So it was cut and a custom exhaust went on. Hollow out the CAT and installed a new high flow muffler and tucked it all out of the way. It sounds great, looks great, and i can feel the difference as well.

I don't know if you can exchange one for the other. I assume you would throw a code. I have a 2000 and don't have precats in the header. I only have the one main. I don't know what it would take to change. I know 2000s have pre cats, but mine is stock and no pre cats. Lucky me I guess.

My Borla was a pain to put in , sounds better and a little more power. Not worth unless replacing bad OEM header i would say.

i have put headers on alot of 4x4s and have found that they do improve performance some. take the new header gasket out of the box and throw it out. get you a copper gasket. they last alot longer and save on head aches.

Are you guys talking about this dent?

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

that I fixed with

IMG_0036.jpg

Back