• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD battery terminals made for accessories

I bought the Prime 4x4 ones to use on my XJ, they look good but I still have not installed them yet... I'm currently running marine wing-nut style terminals and they work well too, mine are just old and about ready to be replaced.

I'm running these on my WJ and like them a lot. Pretty much the same idea as the Prime 4x4 ones. Only $10 for the pair. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-0810pt

The WJ's factory terminals are crimped directly onto the battery cables, so I just cut them off and crimped new tinned copper lugs on instead. Picked up a hydraulic cable crimper from Harbor Freight that works great, $40 (with coupon) well spent: http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html . I bought a bunch of tinned lugs in various sizes and some bulk cable and will be replacing the XJ's power and ground cables with 2 AWG when I get around to replacing the terminals as well.

Last edited:
I bought the Prime 4x4 ones to use on my XJ, they look good but I still have not installed them yet... I'm currently running marine wing-nut style terminals and they work well too, mine are just old and about ready to be replaced.

I'm running these on my WJ and like them a lot. Pretty much the same idea as the Prime 4x4 ones. Only $10 for the pair. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-0810pt

The only problem I would have with those is that they are made of lead, which requires more maintenance to prevent corrosion. I guess I've just had bad luck with lead terminals. I've removed them and cleaned them with the special cleaner, cleaned the battery posts with the special tool and cleaning compound, put the red and green anti-corrosion washers underneath, and coated them with various anti-corrosion stuff, and still get white powder showing up in a year or two. So I switched to the brass marine terminals and put the anti-corrosion washers underneath. I made some 0-gauge cables with HD tinned copper lugs, and haven't had a hint of corrosion in 12 years.

Last edited:
Switching to an AGM battery took care of most of my corrosion problems.

I got in the habit of soldering lugs onto existing cables when the battery clamp went bad. I switched those to brass marine terminals with good results. I just happened to have the cheap clamps and heavy cables on hand when the XJ needed attention. :)

The only problem I would have with those is that they are made of lead, which requires more maintenance to prevent corrosion. I guess I've just had bad luck with lead terminals. I've removed them and cleaned them with the special cleaner, cleaned the battery posts with the special tool and cleaning compound, put the red and green anti-corrosion washers underneath, and coated them with various anti-corrosion stuff, and still get white powder showing up in a year or two. So I switched to the brass marine terminals and put the anti-corrosion washers underneath. I made some 0-gauge cables with HD tinned copper lugs, and haven't had a hint of corrosion in 12 years.

The military terminals can be had in a lead-free composition. I know Waytek has them.

I went for lead because I have no doubt the state of Commiefornia will eventually outlaw them and thereby make me a felon with the stroke of a pen. It seems that is becoming my comfort zone.

I have the stereo type, cant remember the brand but it comes with a thick cover over top of it, which keeps it clean, and keeps you from welding stuff to the battery. But im also running two amps, upgraded headlight harness, lightbar and long throw light pods. keeps my wires nice and clean.

Back