• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Haven't seen this yet...

mopar440

NAXJA Forum User
'95 XJ, 4.0, 5spd... while cruising the freeway (has not happened in the city yet) the engine dies, as if someone just shut the key off... headlights and accessories remain running... clutch in, turn key off then back on and engine resumes running... and it is really random- might be weeks or even months before it occurs again, and then twice in 24 hours... cannot duplicate conditions that cause this mysterious problem, other than the fact that it has not occured in town, but only at highway speeds... my thought is maybe a random short in ignition switch... anybody ever run into this before?:worship:

this actually happened to me last week at work. I was doing a used vehicle inspection on a 1995 4 speed aw4 teal xj 130k really well maintained other than the blown t-case. but as i was driving i was turning a corner and it just died at about 5mph accessories stayed on, cant remember if it went into neutral or not but i just put it in park took the key out and it started right up again no hesitation. i didnt get a chance to do any diagnosing as we sold the car to a smaller wholesaler due to the t-case issue however my guess would either be a fuel pump issue, possibly electrical, check relays and such... i would start there as the engine just shutting of is usually loss of fuel delivery. other than that check all other basic things, fuses, cap & rotor, plugs, grounds, battery, alternator. hope this helps, i know it is pretty vague and general

My 94 5spd used to behave like that. the Crank Position Sensor was the culprit. It was extremely intermittent... a shop that tried to replicate it couldn't, and didn't believe me until I had it towed back to them a week later.

Replace the CPS and you should be good.

Second opinions, anyone, before I go buy a CPS? Not doubting you, Islander... just wanting confirmation:eeks1:

I agree, replace the cps. Now if you were having trouble restarting I would say the coil. The placement of the coil next to the block shortens its life.

Never had any problems starting it... Just this issue

Check and make sure your o2 wires are not broken and grounding out. The o2 runs along side the engine. If yo have old or worn mounts the engine CAN rock enough to pinch and shred the insilation on the wire then leaving it to ground it self out in the same place, thus causing intermitant on off and brakes in power leaving the car needing to be restarted.

Back